Evil Dead coming to Magic The Gathering

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
What Nick said! Art's gorgeous but I've never played.

DyD

Spinach Chin
I know it's a game term and put on the cards just for playability reasons, but calling the Cheryl card "Zombie" (and the word "deadite" not showing on up on ANY of the cards) bothers me to no end. But yeah, other than that, those are really nice and fun collectibles for fans of both The Evil Dead and Magic the Gathering. Very cool.

Last edited:

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Here are bigger images of the cards. It looks like there's only going to be six Evil Dead themed cards?

SL2023_SpookyDrop_EvilDead_PuresteelPaladin_Non_Foil_Card_795x1110.png
SL2023_SpookyDrop_EvilDead_VanquishtheHorde_Non_Foil_Card_795x1110.png
SL2023_SpookyDrop_EvilDead_ZombieApocalypse_Non_Foil_Card_795x1110.png

SL2023_SpookyDrop_EvilDead_Varina_Non_Foil_Card_795x1110.png
SL2023_SpookyDrop_EvilDead_FieldoftheDead_Non_Foil_Card_795x1110.png
SL2023_SpookyDrop_EvilDead_ZombieToken_Non_Foil_Card_795x1110.png

Deadites aren't zombies!

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I know it's a game term and put on the cards just for playability reasons, but calling the Cheryl card "Zombie" (and the word "deadite" not showing on up on ANY of the cards) bothers me to no end. But yeah, other than that, those are really nice and fun collectibles for fans of both The Evil Dead and Magic the Gathering. Very cool.
Yeah the "Zombie" cards is the first thing that popped out when I looked a the cards. But as you said it's probably a in game class name. I really dig the artwork. Ash expressions are top notch. A lots of comics and toys failed to achieve this....(Linda is maybe too Michael Jackson to my taste but still look cool)

DyD

Spinach Chin
Yeah the "Zombie" cards is the first thing that popped out when I looked a the cards. But as you said it's probably a in game class name. I really dig the artwork. Ash expressions are top notch. A lots of comics and toys failed to achieve this....(Linda is maybe too Michael Jackson to my taste but still look cool)
Yeah, it's the same as calling Ash a paladin/knight and Linda a lich queen/zombie wizard, it's just what the game calls those types of cards. Still, they could've at least named the Cheryl card "Cheryl" and only called her a zombie in the effect text instead of giving the card itself the very generic "Zombie" name.

I agree that the artwork on the cards is terrific (and man, you're spot on with the Linda/Michael Jackson comparison, LOL). Now I want the artwork for the "Destroy the Dead" and "Knowby's Incantantion" cards to use as backgrounds on my phone.

Last edited:

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Here's all the artwork without any card info:

cf40ae85a5ea89afd45d55c6d95573ab_1920_KR.png
c330dbd9d10ad07b4f4e1863f31cd744_1920_KR.png
038c8b50f13887339bc4da52dbb43f01_1920_KR.png

cd537d4474d50c860b1bed4e39959fe2_1920_KR.png
d5ea2a0d64acff2e504a02a0047ba65c_1920_KR.png
ceeba97655197833b0ba551a9a4fe565_1920_KR.png

Art by Fay Dalton, Warren Mahy, and Josh Newton

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
So they finally shipped the cards about a week ago. I ordered a pack of both the normal and the foil versions, and decided to open up the normal edition and keep the foil box sealed. A quote from Cheryl greets you when you rip the tab off the outer box...
20231221_083309.jpg

The inner box is this nice matte black with reflective blood red text.
20231221_083322.jpg

The 6 cards are no different then what the pictures on the official website show, but there is actually a bonus card not listed on the site (which is apparently something they do with this "Secret Lair" series). This bonus card is the "Shovel of Decapitation" weapon, which features a quote from Scotty.
20231221_083550.jpg

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
The 6 cards are no different then what the pictures on the official website show, but there is actually a bonus card not listed on the site (which is apparently something they do with this "Secret Lair" series). This bonus card is the "Shovel of Decapitation" weapon, which features a quote from Scotty.

Shovels are op weapons for slaying Deadites, and when going for decaps like in Evil Dead The Game make the most satisfying sounds... but those quotes from Cheryl and Scotty are a nice touch.

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'll share these in this thread since I don't think they warrant their own post, but Fright Rags has recently (recently as in some time last year) put out their own line of official The Evil Dead trading cards.
VIwjF6z.jpg
GrRLt9S.jpg
rRTtbEf.jpg

Each box contains the complete 68 "base set" cards which tell the story of The Evil Dead with photos and short descriptions on the back, two "parallel cards" (that are six of the "base set" cards with alternate images), the "Maniacs In Motion" lenticular card (of which there is only one, but apparently it's part of a larger series with Fright Rags' other trading cards), seven "base character cards" that are included in every pack, and two "special character puzzle cards" (of which there are nine in total to be found and form this image on the back). According to the checklist card, there's also exclusive one-of-a-kind sketch cards out there, but I didn't get any. Several of the cards feature trivia questions on the back ("What was the film's original title before The Evil Dead?" "Who influenced New Line Cinema to aquired the rights to The Evil Dead in 1982?")

One thing that really stood out to me was some weird phrasing, like the book is never referred to as Naturom Demonto, just "the book", "the strange book", and "Book of The Dead" on the last character card. The Kandarian Dagger is never called by it's proper name either, just "the dagger" and "a dagger made of bone".

Last edited:

DyD

Spinach Chin
@MCT28 I love those.

That makes me wonder, were there any official trading card sets for the films? I'm thinking Army of Darkness in particular, since the movie was released at the height of popularity for trading cards based on comics and movies.

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
That makes me wonder, were there any official trading card sets for the films? I'm thinking Army of Darkness in particular, since the movie was released at the height of popularity for trading cards based on comics and movies.
I think Dynamite had dibs on the first trading card set with their AOD series from 2005(?). I don't think there was anything from around the time in which the films came out.

Reactions: DyD

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
@MCT28 I love those.

I think Dynamite had dibs on the first trading card set with their AOD series from 2005(?). I don't think there was anything from around the time in which the films came out.

Xena Warrior Princess had it's own series of Topps trading cards from 98 to 2002, and that was mostly due to NBC/Universal... but at some point they had issues with some rights holders that probably put the breaks on anything Renaissance Pictures was involved in getting an official trading card set. Until recently apparently.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
@MCT28 I love those.

I own 11 autographed Army of Darkness cards dated from 2005 that were produced by a company called Dynamic Forces. They consist of a combination of people who acted in Army of Darkness and comic book artists who worked on the early Evil Dead comics so they're a mixture of screen grabs, an original doodle of Ash by the first artist to take on Evil Dead comic work (Nick someone but I can't remember his name now. Maid of Kandar probably knows) .. they're limited edition cards so roughly between 300 or 500 on average of each card were sold. A company called Dynamite Entertainment sells Army of Darkness comic books these days so I'm curious if it's the same old company who produced my cards but traded under the name Dynamic Forces back then?. I've no idea.

Actors:

Richard Grove - aka Henry The Red
Ian Ambercrombe - aka The Wise Man
Bruce Thomas - aka one the actors who played mini ash in the windmill scene

Comic book artists:

Greg Land
James Kuhoric
Michael Avon Oeming
Andy Hartnell
Aaron Lopresti

Last edited:

MCT28

Loud Mouth Braggart
I own 11 autographed Army of Darkness cards dated from 2005 that were produced by a company called Dynamic Forces. They consist of a combination of people who acted in Army of Darkness and comic book artists who worked on the early Evil Dead comics so they're a mixture of screen grabs, an original doodle of Ash by the first artist to take on Evil Dead comic work (Nick someone but I can't remember his name now. Maid of Kandar probably knows) .. they're limited edition cards so roughly between 300 or 500 on average of each card were sold. A company called Dynamite Entertainment sells Army of Darkness comic books these days so I'm curious if it's the same old company who produced my cards but traded under the name Dynamic Forces back then?. I've no idea.
Dynamic Forces and Dynamite Entertainment are indeed the the same company. Dynamic primarily focuses on limited edition licensed memorabilia, and since Dynamite Entertainment was primarily the publishing arm of the company (and just getting started in 2005), Dynamic released the AOD cards under their umbrella.

Nick Bradshaw is probably the artist you're thinking of. He did the art for Dynamite's first two AOD titles back in 2004, and has been returning to do covers every now and then for about the past decade.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Dynamic Forces and Dynamite Entertainment are indeed the the same company. Dynamic primarily focuses on limited edition licensed memorabilia, and since Dynamite Entertainment was primarily the publishing arm of the company (and just getting started in 2005), Dynamic released the AOD cards under their umbrella.

Nick Bradshaw is probably the artist you're thinking of. He did the art for Dynamite's first two AOD titles back in 2004, and has been returning to do covers every now and then for about the past decade.
Thank you .. and I wanted to say Bradshaw but I couldn't find him online. That card's the only one that isn't signed and for years I've assumed it was an original doodle but after looking through the ebay link I've provided above, I've discovered it's a print because there's a few of them that are exactly the same as mine.

DyD

Spinach Chin

Actors:

Richard Grove - aka Henry The Red
Ian Ambercrombe - aka The Wise Man
Bruce Thomas - aka one the actors who played mini ash in the windmill scene

Comic book artists:

Greg Land
James Kuhoric
Michael Avon Oeming
Andy Hartnell
Aaron Lopresti

Yeah, those I don't love so much... The autographs are cool, but the cards look kinda cheap and half-assed. I'm guessing that Dynamite is the same Dynamite that publishes the comics and published the Nick Bradshaw comics back in the day, so that's why they put his art on them. It's all art he did for the comics. It seems there's also a 30th anniversary card set Dynamite put out last year that's apparently a bit nicer, but I can't find a lot of images of the actual cards in it.

So there weren't any official AoD trading cards released at the same time the movie was released, only those sets that were licensed later.

Top Bottom