Xena Reboot

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Looks like NBC rebooting Xena with Rob and Sam producing:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/xena-warrior-princess-reboot-nbc-809355

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
ashevildead123 said:
Don't think NBC is the right place for it.
I'm kinnd of mad about Hannibal.

I agree with you here, and think that in all the shows that Renaissance Pictures has done in the past they always had two with Hercules and Xena, and Cleopatra 2525 had Jack of All Trades. I think it would work better if Ash vs Evil Dead had a show like Xena with it, but it needs to be on Starz too. It just won't work on a regular network like NBC... and Hannibal kind of showed that because people would rather watch reality tv than a cutting edge show with a major emphasis on cutting which Xena needs. The other thing is that if NBC gets ahold of the series they will just try to recast the show as pointed out in some of the info that came out with the idea of a reboot being more Hunger Games like which means they would want a younger group even though most of the cast has said they would be more than happy to come back to work on the show. As I said on Twitter when it comes to this show the fans should be careful what they wish for when it comes to a new Xena show, or any other for that matter.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Totally agree here.

In the same vain as AvED, a Xena revival which catches up with the original characters some years on, rather than reboot them completely, would be a great companion series. 

Should AvEd get picked up for another season, then having the NZ Renaissance crew produce the show seems like a natural fit, and having Bruce come back as Autolycus (and being once again fit for the role) would tie them both together oh so perfectly.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Exactly the whole crew is already there, and shot season 1 of AvED with laser precision. Get Lucy, Renee, and Ted on along with a few other old cast members then bring in BC as Autolycus... and you have a recipe for success if done right. Sadly Kevin Smith who played Ares passed away in 2002 shortly after the wrapped the show. Maybe even Karl Urban will come back because Adrienne Wilkinson said she would, and Hudson Leick would be a toss up.

Elise41

Spinach Chin
Staff member
All it takes is one question in a drive by Comiccon interview to start a stupid rumor. I say it's not happening.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I'd say it was more than just a stupid rumor/drive by question because there have been people talking about it for a while, and Lucy has been saying that she would be more than willing to play Xena again for a while too... and since all this stuff broke it has been trending on Facebook and Twitter for 4 days straight. Now whether it happens is still up in the air, but I'd say there is a very good possibility that it will at some point.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I think it'll happen somewhere down the line; Lucy seems very gung ho about the idea, and they have the resources and studio space to produce it if they want.

The question will be time (how much will Lucy need to be on the set of Ash vs Evil Dead?) and of content (the fanbase had extremely negative reactions to the two suggested modifications that were brought up - that Gabrielle be recast as a male figure and that the series be set in the modern world and work as a version of The Hunger Games).  So they'd need to be careful and please the fanbase.  I also super disagree that it needs to be on Starz to get produced, though it'd likely end up on one of their outliers; Xena was never hyper violent in a Starzlike way (which face it, AvED needs), but it would fit in one of the Disney branded outliers.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I don't know if it needs to be, but it would be nice to have the shows all under one roof so to speak. If they try to change the show the fans will go into a full on revolt because Xena fans are pretty hardcore, and having a male counterpart for Xena wouldn't work to well. The thing that made the show work so well was having two strong female characters who worked well together. Also setting it in moderns times would be a huge mistake too... and having a show set in the past like the original would be a welcome change from the crap that is on tv today.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
It would be, but I'm also pro spreading them out at this point; if heaven forbid Starz ends up getting absorbed back into Disney.  Then getting other production houses involved would be a good thing.

You're hitting the nail on the head as to why it's so successful, and the odds they're coming up against.  You've gotta keep it basic for stuff like this.

I think it would, ironically, work really well on a USA Network or something like that; a place that would appreciate the show's root camp value.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I should also point out that Xena did have a fair amount of violence with Xena and Gabrielle getting stabby quite often, and hints of nudity back in a time when it was seen on tv very often. At least not in the same context mind you where women were not victims. I'm also shocked at the idea of a male counterpart with all that is going on with the LGBT movement these days... and would think such a story as theirs would be welcome on the small screen. The USA network replayed both Xena and Hercules for a long time until I think Oxygen which is a station no one got picked them up, but they love their wrestling.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Either way here is the recent pic of Lucy and Renee in honor of friendship day. Lucy posted a list of actresses that could pull off the roll so I think she is open to someone else playing the roll even if the fans are not, and I wouldn't rule that out because if NBC sees interest they will try to put something together.

Renee-OConnor-and-Lucy-Lawless.jpg

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I love their friendship!

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
It is a pretty cool, and genuine friendship... and I hope we see them work together again in some way. Even if it comes via AvED. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless">@RealLucyLawless</a> Lucy, I'm so sorry. NBC has contacted me and they said ( provided I get EXTENSIVE plastic surgery) that I can play Xena.</p>&mdash; Ted Raimi (@tedraimi) <a href="https://twitter.com/tedraimi/status/632347750890233856">August 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
It is a pretty cool, and genuine friendship... and I hope we see them work together again in some way. Even if it comes via AvED. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Xena?src=hash">#Xena</a> reboot gets made, it's because the fans are beautiful, hardcore nutballs who want what they want.</p>&mdash; Lucy Lawless (@RealLucyLawless) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless/status/631768064694988800">August 13, 2015</a></blockquote>

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
It is a pretty cool, and genuine friendship along with virtually all the old Xena and Herc cast members... and I hope we see them work together again in some way. Even if it comes via AvED. 

https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless/status/631768064694988800

"[font=Arial, sans-serif]If a [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]#Xena[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] reboot gets made, it's because the fans are beautiful, hardcore nutballs who want what they want.[/font]"

https://twitter.com/tedraimi/status/632347750890233856

[font=Arial, sans-serif]"@RealLucyLawless[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] Lucy, I'm so sorry. NBC has contacted me and they said ( provided I get EXTENSIVE plastic surgery) that I can play Xena."
[/font]

/Sorry, I seem to not be able to just embed the tweets like before.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Apparently NBC Television has confirmed that it sold a mid-season pilot for the reboot to CBS, which won't star Lucy.  They're continuing on with this Hunger games idea, and talk about including her "only if it won't be distracting."

Yeah, this one's gonna sink.

Mardeadite

Loud Mouth Braggart
Yeah, if they're gonna go that route I'd rather they just do a different show under a different name.

Maybe they figure the 'Xena' name will sell it, but if it's not Xena (and I mean the shows character, premise and setting, not the actress Lucy Lawless - although I'd prefer her in the role - ) it's not Xena. *

I guess they can't call lit Hunger Games the Series since that story is being told elsewhere, and rights issues, etc.
"But hey, we've got the rights to Xena! Another strong female protagonist!"

I could be completely wrong. I dislike it when people decide something is going to suck before they've even seen it, but this idea really does seem to suck, linked to Xena.

*If they're gonna do Xena I'd rather they did a sequel continuation rather than a reboot, anyway.

Top Bottom