When did Ash go to the cabin according to AvED?

SketchyGamer

Primitive Screwhead
Ok so I was thinking about this, and noticed something. In Ash vs. Evil Dead Season 1 e1, Ash states that it is the 30th anniversary since he lost his hand (trip to the cabin in ed1&2). And season 1 came out in 2015, but the Evil Dead came out in 1981, and Evil Dead 2 was just a continuation of the story with an added intro because of rights issues. So that already makes no sense to me. Then in season 2 when he goes back in time to 1982, the original events haven’t happened yet. So according to AvED, the original movies take place in 1985?

Ashy Slashy

S-Mart Clerk
Thats weird because im watching it now and I noticed that
when ash goes to the cabin looking for the book in season 2 he says "did I get the book here, or in the cellar with scott". In the original he finds it in the cellar but in evil dead 2 he finds it on the table in the front room.
so maybe they have just combined the two films but went with closer to part 2's dates.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Forget the logic and continuity between all movies, but also and especially from the AvED. Do not try to find logic in AvED timeline. It's all messed up. It kinda works, but each movie was done as a stand alone feature.

I mean, the end of ED1 vs the beginning of ED2. Same story but told differently.

Same thing with ED2 ending vs the beginning of AoD. Once again, same story but told differently. (i.e : In ED2 Anny read the Necronomicon to open the vortex. In AoD Ash read it in the same version of the story)

I know it is mostly due to right issues. It's also only a recap, but sincerely, Sam Raimi did not put a lot of effort to link each of them correctly.

SketchyGamer

Primitive Screwhead
Forget the logic and continuity between all movies, but also and especially from the AvED. Do not try to find logic in AvED timeline. It's all messed up. It kinda works, but each movie was done as a stand alone feature.

I mean, the end of ED1 vs the beginning of ED2. Same story but told differently.

Same thing with ED2 ending vs the beginning of AoD. Once again, same story but told differently. (i.e : In ED2 Anny read the Necronomicon to open the vortex. In AoD Ash read it in the same version of the story)

I know it is mostly due to right issues. It's also only a recap, but sincerely, Sam Raimi did not put a lot of effort to link each of them correctly.

Well if you don’t think EDII is a continuous sequel of the first movie, then watch this interview clip with Bruce Campbell where he states, the first fifteen minutes we’re done because they didn’t have rights to the first movie, but they didn’t want new viewers to be confused.

Mardeadite

Loud Mouth Braggart
I just see it as events of ED/ED2 happened in the eighties. I don’t think it’s worth worrying too much about which year. Regardless of when the films came out, I don’t think the date is ever actually mentioned or shown in the films.*

And yes I see the second film as being a continuation of the first, just with a retelling of some of the events of ED at the start of ED2, like Sutter Cane says. You could pretty much watch the first film, then start the second at the point Ash gets possessed the first time, and it works fairly well. The continuity isn’t 100%. Ash discovers the bridge is broken twice, in that version, and you’d lose the significance of Deadite Linda’s weird ballet routine, not to mention a piano suddenly materialises out of nowhere, but it works pretty well.

*Cue: someone shows a zoomed in shot from a calendar at the cabin showing the date.

Mardeadite

Loud Mouth Braggart
Thats weird because im watching it now and I noticed that
when ash goes to the cabin looking for the book in season 2 he says "did I get the book here, or in the cellar with scott". In the original he finds it in the cellar but in evil dead 2 he finds it on the table in the front room.
I loved that gag: a little nod to fans of the slight difference in events in the two films.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
@SketchyGamer

Yeah I know. I didn't said that ED1 vs ED2 vs AoD vs AvED were not continious sequels. I just said it was inaccurately done. Each movies are sequel but also work as a stand alone movies. How many persons did watched AoD without knowing this movie was the follow-up of ED2?

As I said, they did reshoot the scenes but in a different way. The new recap don't match the previous story. It was done in a clumsby way that confused the audience more than anything. Yes this was because of rights issues, but it could have been done more accurately. I really liked the first 15 minutes of Evil Dead2 which ignore, Sheryl, Scotty and Shelly. But as a follow up : the logic have been thrown away in the garbage a little bit. This is the reason why we need Bruce Campbell explaining the link between both movies....over 30 years later. ;)

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
Ok so I was thinking about this, and noticed something. In Ash vs. Evil Dead Season 1 e1, Ash states that it is the 30th anniversary since he lost his hand (trip to the cabin in ed1&2). And season 1 came out in 2015, but the Evil Dead came out in 1981, and Evil Dead 2 was just a continuation of the story with an added intro because of rights issues. So that already makes no sense to me. Then in season 2 when he goes back in time to 1982, the original events haven’t happened yet. So according to AvED, the original movies take place in 1985?

The Evil Dead: There is no date given for when it takes place. Judging by the clothes and cars, somewhere in the 1970s or 1980s (modern times for when the film was released, which was the early '80s).

Evil Dead II: We know it takes place in October, because Knowby states that on October 1st, he killed his wife. Ed indicated to Annie that he hasn't spoken with her father in a week because there's no phone in the cabin, therefore, what we are seeing in Evil Dead II, takes place in early October. Year unknown. But we do get Annie's birthdate from her possessed mother, and Annie is a young adult, so we can assume it's somewhere around the '80s. Ash does go back to 1300 A.D. according to the prophecy Annie spoke of from the pages of the book.

"When do we begin the translations?"
"Tonight. Is everything all set with my father?"
"Well, it should be but I haven't spoken with him in a week. There's no phone in the cabin.

"It's only been a few hours since I've translated and spoken aloud the first of the demon resurrection passages from the Book of the Dead. And now I fear that my wife has become host to a Kandarian demon. May God forgive me for what I have unleashed unto this earth. Last night Henrietta tried to kill me. … "
[New passage/entry most likely] -
"It's now October 1st, 4:33pm, Henrietta is dead. I could not bring myself to dismember her corpse. But I dragged her down the steps and I buried her. I buried her in the cellar. God help me I buried her in the earthen floor of the fruit cellar."

"Remember that song, Annie? I used to sing it to you when you were a baby. Unlock these chains. Quickly. … You were born September 2nd, 1962. I remember it well because it was snowing. So strange it would be snowing in September."

"In 1300 A.D. they called this man the uh Hero From The Sky. He was prophecized to have destroyed the evil."

Army Of Darkness: Ash is in 1300 A.D.

"My name is Ash. And I am a slave. As close as I can figure it the year is 1300 A.D. and I am being dragged to my death."

Evil Dead: There is no date given for when it takes place. Judging by the clothes and cars, anywhere from the 1990s to modern day (film was released in 2013).

Ash Vs Evil Dead: All that's indicated is that it's been 30 years since he went to the cabin.

"30 years ago my friends and I spent the night at a cabin. We found a book... And for the past 30 years, I've been hiding out."

Ash Vs Evil Dead 2: We find out that the events of the cabin incident happened in 1982 because they go to 1982, which means the events of Ash Vs Evil Dead happen 30 years later, around 2012.

Ash Vs Evil Dead 3: We find out that Evil Ruby has been Brandy's guidance counselor (Mrs. Previtt) for 2 years. If Evil Ruby hitched a ride back with the Ghostbeaters to their time from 1982, that means season 3 is at least 2 years later from the events in season 2.
Brandy also graduates in 4 months, indicating that it's early in the year, likely January.
The ghost of Brock takes Ash on a flashback vision to December 2012, which was right before Ash came back into town (season 2).
This all means that the events of season 1 took place in 2012.
Season 2 took place some months later in 2013.
Season 3 takes place at least two years from 2013, thus it's very likely January 2015.

It should be noted that the first three films (and Ash Vs Evil Dead) happen in parallel timelines and thusly can't be determined for sure if they happen on the same dates. That's my theory. It was apparent in Evil Dead II when Annie shows the prophecy and then Ash goes back in time to fulfill it. That indicated, to me, that the Ash from The Evil Dead went through similar events that mirrored what we see Ash, in Evil Dead II, go through. Same for Army Of Darkness. As well as the Ash in Ash Vs Evil Dead. It's all a time loop of slightly altered parallel timelines.

So to answer the question, for Ash Vs Evil Dead:

Season 1: 2012
Season 2: early 2013
Season 3: likely January 2015

AVED Ash went to the cabin in 1982.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Yeah, in general AvED pancakes the timeline as to having all happened in roughly 1982 from what we can grasp in AvED. Which ultimately kinda makes sense. Almost.

Top Bottom