The Force Awakens [SPOILERS]

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Just saw the movie on Saturday and thought we could probably use a thread in the off-topic board.

Spoiler tags are not needed for any references to the characters, locations or plot points from Episode 7, however, please make use of spoiler tags for any speculation about characters, locations or plot points from Episodes 8 or 9.

I'm still forming my opinion of TFA and will share my thoughts soon-ish. For everyone else, have at it!  :)

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I saw it this past Saturday. It was pretty good. Super predictable and basically a rehash of the original trilogy but I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see all the familiar faces. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some thoughts and minor nitpicks:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Would have liked to see more backstory on Finn especially how he suddenly snapped out of being a stormtrooper.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rey learned to use the force too easily. Seems like she won't need much training from Luke. They'll talk a little bit and she'll become a jedi master within minutes (j/k).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I think I like Maz more than Yoda. I hope she returns in the next episode.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I felt that Captain Phasma should of have had a bigger part. Like actually be the one who went after Rey and BB-8. She seemed like an afterthought in the movie.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kylo Ren was so emo in the movie. I'm assuming Snokes turns him into the next Darth Vader and he faces off with Rey again in episode VIII. Probably kills Luke. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The guys from the Raid were underutilized. Not surprised at all.[/font]

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Agree about Finn, though he said it was his first battle deployment so that might explain the shell shock he experienced. There's definitely more to him though.

About Rey and her abilities...
I think she was one of Luke's Jedi trainees, and we are meant to believe none survived after Ben Solo's turn to the dark side. Whether or not she is a Skywalker, she would be one of the last remaining Jedi after Luke, and therefore a target of the First Order. I think Luke wiped her memory and she was intentionally left on Jakku to keep her safe (another call back to the original trilogy). When Kylo Ren invades her mind, I think he unintentionally unlocks (or awakens) latent abilities she learned as a padawan, even though she can't remember learning them.

Captain Phasma was a chump, and should have gone out fighting instead of lowering those shields without much coercion. I can't take her seriously now no matter what they do with her.

Kylo & Snoke...
Kylo will turn out to be nothing but a pawn as Han said and be crushed, or he’ll ascend from whiny brat into full on Sith mode. He won’t ever be fully redeemed, but he might self-sacrifice for a good reason. Snoke will emerge as the ultimate big bad, and will be revealed as Darth Plagueis, who was Palpatine’s master. That’s what I’m sticking to for now.

My biggest nitpicks were Finn’s instant lightsaber skills, and the whole third death star, trench scene, blow up the weak point thing.

Otherwise, I loved it and am looking forward to the next one!

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Eh

I think Rey acclimated herself to the Force just about as quickly as Luke started to in the OT, so I gave that a pass.

It was a hell of a lot of fun to watch!  Good popcorn flick.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I enjoyed Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and think it benefited from the lack of Lucas... and his comments about Disney being "white slavers" is laughable. I think he is bitter that he sold the franchise for 4 million, and they made more than half of it back on in one shot with a better film. Back in 2002 when Episode II came out I was watching it with a friend when a tornado hit Indy, and destroyed buildings all around us which means Lucas probably heard we had a pirated copy, hehe. I thought Rey learning the for so quickly was kind of odd, but they skipped a lot of stuff that wouldn't have hurt to put into the 2 hour movie like what happened to Poe. I really like what Andy Serkis did as Snoke, and Emo Kylo Ren made me laugh more than anything. So I give it two thumbs up, and a middle finger to George Lucas even though I'm not a big fan of Mickey mouse.

/Now they have moved the second movie to December 2017 which is a long time away.

Top Bottom