The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 Getting 4K Remasters

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Here's the only info I could find about it, but it looks like EDII is going to be the first of the main trilogy of movies to be remastered this way.

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
So it's going to be super grainy?

I don't know what's intended behind this question.

But is there a very slim chance that you're like me and don't care for 4k remasters because they are too refined to the point of no longer being cinematic. I love film grain. But 4k refines the grain to where it's almost a separate layer while missing the fuzziness of the 2k film cinematic experience. Basically the finer points are all magnified too much. It's like, grain is wonderful, but when it goes to 4k, it's now sand. It's a little too clear, including the grain.

It's tough to explain, though I've had at least one other person on a blu-ray forum mention the same feelings to how I felt about it.

Hurley

Spinach Chin
Aaaand it's up for pre-order again. Boy, this one is a roller coaster.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
here's a list of extras!

BLU-RAY 1 :

• The movie
  • Audio commentary with Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, Scott Spiegel and Greg Nicotero
BLU-RAY 2 :

• 52min bonus about the influence of the movie on famous directors (Guillermo Del Toro, etc.)
  • Shallowed Souls : The making of Evil Dead 2
  • Dead by dawn
  • The chosen ones
  • Special effects
  • Madman Sam
  • Re-animated
  • Method to madness
  • Rosebud
  • Cabin Fever - A “Fly on the Wall” - Look Behind the Scenes of EVIL DEAD 2
  • Road to Wadesboro: revisiting the shooting location with filmmaker Tony Elwood
  • Making of 2 “The Gore the Merrier”
  • Interview with Bruce Campbell
  • Original trailer

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
That steelbook is lovely but I have to assume that the Blu-Ray in the set is region locked for the UK. So I'll likely just pass on it.

Hurley

Spinach Chin
That steelbook is lovely but I have to assume that the Blu-Ray in the set is region locked for the UK. So I'll likely just pass on it.
Yes. Like most of Zavvi Blu-rays, it's region B locked.

mhb2862

S-Mart Clerk
UHD discs are region free, and I have a region free blu-ray player for the included blu-ray, so this release is perfect for me. Glad I got my pre-order in, because it appears to be sold out already. I'm not of the opinion that 4k is "too much resolution" for film. 35mm film doesn't deal in pixel resolution, but as far as I've read, 4k comes pretty close to matching the quality of 35mm. The closer to the source, the better, if you ask me. At the very least, it should have fewer compression artifacts and a more even grain field. On that note, grain is present in all film stock, and therefore should be present in the image. If it looks too harsh, you either need to adjust the settings on your TV or you're just not used to seeing it, since compression on DVDs (and the softness of VHS before it) made it pretty unnoticeable for a while. The grain is actually what makes up the image on the film stock. It's not a layer on top of the image; it is the image. So loss of grain = loss of information in a transfer. Bring on high quality 4k UHD releases of all the Evil Dead films!

mhb2862

S-Mart Clerk
Well now I'm twice as excited. I'll keep buying these movies on every format they can cook up. I look forward to buying Evil Dead as a holodeck program some day.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
So apparently Evil Dead is getting a 4k remaster too in October.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
p8Vnxu0.jpg

http://deadites.net/the-evil-dead-remastered-in-4k-coming-this-october/

Last edited:
Top Bottom