Renew Ash vs Evil Dead for Season 4 (and Season 5)!

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
Most of us have signed the petition among other attempts to save the show. Also unfortunately that Dread Central article is basing this rumor off of incorrect information. I love Ash VS Evil Dead but I am pretty sure it will end after this season finishes.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Not much we can do at this point, the writing seems very much on the wall at this point. I'm hoping for a miracle but it's too late in the game for a comeback to happen.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I'm glad the petition is circulating and it's important for fans to not give up complete hope til it's over, but we're eight episodes into the season without an official public announcement, so things don't look good.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
It’s a niche show, and they’ve made it far too inaccessible, so live ratings will be poor.

3 years and a lot of false promises from Starz later, and you still can’t watch the latest seasons outside the US without subscribing to freaking cable!

It’s a great show even with its problems, but they really shot themselves in the foot by leaving so many people with no other alternative than to stream it illegally.

I’m in Canada, and I can’t watch it legally without purchasing a costly cable package. However, I do purchase the DVDs after each season ends.

Hopefully sales from DVD, iTunes, Google Play, etc, are strong enough that Starz orders more seasons, even with the poor live ratings.

Elise41

Spinach Chin
Staff member
I am also in Canada and do pay the extortionate $70 CAN to support the show on the months it airs through cable. The bill goes down to $50 a month when it isn't airing. And after it is officially cancelled and the Blu-ray/DVDs for season three is released, that will be the end of my cable subscription. I got it just for AVED because I care that much about legally supporting it. But you know what? Yeah, it is ridiculous to dish out SEVENTY DOLLARS a month to support ONE FUCKING SHOW! But that is what happens when there is no alternative. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot then that is their problem. I am just one of the extreme few that is willing to pay that much because I care about supporting the show that much. I'm completely anti-piracy.

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
I’ve signed this a few times. I’ve emailed Starz under each of my three emails and my wife’s email, telling them how I literally buy all the toys, shirts, blu rays AND DVDs. I try to watch the show on Netflix to boost the numbers, I’ve spread the show to friends, I’ve spread the hashtags, retweeted, liked and commented on everything useful across social media. Many others have done more than me still, the fate of the show is out of our hands. Valhalla awaits

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
The way Starz has handled the overseas marketing for the show (and Canada and Mexico) has been atrocious. I know there's no version of the ap you can get, but are there digital options? Can you buy individual episodes after they air?

I think this is something that #Savetheboomstick should also be addressing. If the ap isn't internationally availible then what choice do people have but to watch the DVDs?

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
I have seen that floating around, and I want more Evil Dead as much as anyone, but The King himself has said both “Ash WAS the role of a lifetime” and “let it be”. Doesn’t inspire confidence, like we’re trying to get the show back when Bruce doesn’t even want it.

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
Yes he has, remember not long ago he said he was ready to play Ash as long as there was an audience for it? it"s probably a big letdown for them as well, but the right thing for everyone to do is push now, get Netflix interested, and let Bruce turn it down then.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
If it were possible, I'd be willing to put real money behind crowdsourcing a 4th feature film. But I wonder how far something like that could possibly go? I mean, I wasn't willing to invest hundreds of dollars to add a +1 to viewership for AvED (though I did purchase all the merch) but I'd be willing to contribute to a project where I knew the more I invested, the more the project would benefit.

I'm still kind of hoping that Netflix gives the show a second look though. I know they passed initially, but now that they've seen and licensed the content for their service, I'm hopeful it's bringing in good numbers.

In Canada, Season 2 only just became available, which I'm hoping is a good sign?

stephanieis30

S-Mart Clerk
Personally I think there are dozens of reasons why it didn't last. ED is a niche base; just speaking for myself, a large majority of the people I've talked to haven't even heard of ED, much less the show. The fans who are out there are very passionate but there just aren't enough of them.

Now granted, the show may have pulled in new fans. I say that because I'm one of them. I'm a horror fan and knew about ED but never really watched the movies. I saw the promo for the show in season 1 and thought "oh that looks cool". Three season later I'm addicted. So I think there are fairly new(er) ED fans out there that became ED fans because of the show. As a side note, the show will probably always be my favorite and have a special place in my heart :(

I'm a little torn with Starz. On one hand, the marketing with the show could have been handled differently/better. And right now they aren't investing much in it at all, whereas in the beginning I feel like they did. I feel like it's a pattern with Starz (someone mentioned this on Reddit too); most of their shows don't last beyond 3-4 seasons. Is that Starz fault? Maybe. Probably.

On the other hand, they took a chance on AvED. They were the ones to invest in it to begin with; it's because of that that we were able to get a continuation of Ash's adventures at all. And maybe I'm wrong but I think with Starz they were able to have the freedom to mold the show to their liking and not conform. That's what I worry a little bit with seeing it go to another platform, even Netflix; I want them (the writers/etc) to be able to be true to the ED mythology.

All of this combined with the fact that the show itself is just not easily accessible, I think those are the main reasons it didn't last. Just my 2 cents. I would sign petitions out the wazoo and support the bejesus out of it but I really don't think it's gonna get picked up elsewhere, I think this is it. As much as I hate saying that.

If I were Bruce, I'd have the same attitude. You can't control what you can't change. Yes he was up for playing Ash as long as he could but that likelihood is dwindling. It would probably take more work now to keep it going than not. He had an amazing run, the show had an amazing run and will live on with the movies. So if he wants to retire, good for him. He earned it. \m/

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
If it were possible, I'd be willing to put real money behind crowdsourcing a 4th feature film. But I wonder how far something like that could possibly go? I mean, I wasn't willing to invest hundreds of dollars to add a +1 to viewership for AvED (though I did purchase all the merch) but I'd be willing to contribute to a project where I knew the more I invested, the more the project would benefit.

I'm still kind of hoping that Netflix gives the show a second look though. I know they passed initially, but now that they've seen and licensed the content for their service, I'm hopeful it's bringing in good numbers.

In Canada, Season 2 only just became available, which I'm hoping is a good sign?

Nothing is insurmountable, but it would be a huge feat. A quick google search shows Army of Darkness cost 11 million to make 25+ years ago. If we took the average 150,000 viewers for season 3, each would have to donate nearly $75 to reach even that budget. I too would like an Evil Dead 4 to end it out, even more than a 4th season, but just dreamin my dreams here

Top Bottom