Evil Dead Rise

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member

DyD

Spinach Chin
It made me think of Poltergeist III. This could work and is at least a fresh take on the material, but I'll have to see how it does on a script level.

Honestly, the first thing that sprung to mind is [REC] (and it was actually mentioned in the Bloody Disgusting article). I hope they'll find a way to make it feel fresh, but the idea really isn't all that original. Poltergeist III, [REC] 1 and 2 and even Gremlins 2 went there. It's been done before. Well, at least it seems they're still going for some sense of claustrophobia and isolation with the location, which I believe is important to the Evil Dead feel.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Honestly, the first thing that sprung to mind is [REC] (and it was actually mentioned in the Bloody Disgusting article). I hope they'll find a way to make it feel fresh, but the idea really isn't all that original. Poltergeist III, [REC] 1 and 2 and even Gremlins 2 went there. It's been done before. Well, at least it seems they're still going for some sense of claustrophobia and isolation with the location, which I believe is important to the Evil Dead feel.

Agree, I think a better setting should have been in a old manor. Which later you could find that it's the Knowby's manor... Still cliché, but the setting and feeling would have been better than an Office Building....

Deadite_Scholar

S-Mart Clerk
I was hoping for a rural setting, something with an old farmhouse, a broken down barn. Imagine watching the POV shot as it races through a cornfield, or what it'd be like to face off against a deadite scarecrow.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I'm willing to cut them some slack - especially after AvED and Fede Alvarez disappointed me for entirely different reasons. At least this sounds different, and the director's first film suggests he might have a different, more sympathetic take on having a female lead.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Pft, his expression in the thumbnail.

So it's gonna be a PC game then. Hmm!

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
So it's gonna be a PC game then. Hmm!

Hearing this news makes me wonder if the new Evil Dead is going to be a regular point and click style pc game, or something much bigger like a rpg that you have to sign in to play. It would be really cool to see them go with the latter.

Ryan W.

Loud Mouth Braggart
Hearing this news makes me wonder if the new Evil Dead is going to be a regular point and click style pc game, or something much bigger like a rpg that you have to sign in to play. It would be really cool to see them go with the latter.

Or maybe a Grand Theft Auto-type deal, where Ash and whats'-her-face drive the car around shooting up deadites, and Ash stepping out and fighting up close at times, as well as completing missions, like perhaps finding Pablo, Kelly, and Brandy in suspended animation. And why no console releases like promised before?

Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Ash and whats'-her-face

Lexx is her name, haha. My thinking is that the game makers simply decided to skip any type of physical release with everything that is going on around the world with the coronavirus. Plus it is probably cheaper for them in the long run to put something out for download like dare I say Fortnite. Now I really like the idea of giving the Rockstar crew a phone call to see if they would be interested in making an Ash vs Evil Dead Season 4 game since they seem to be in no hurry to make GTA 6. The amount of updates in the Evil Dead world would be just as endless, and you could have people cruising around with friends in the Classic and/or Deatcoaster taking out groups of Deadites.

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Lastest news about the movie:

The Evil Dead are going to fuck up a city this time,” Campbell said during an event at PA’s Mahoning Drive-In Theater over the weekend

After briefly discussing Cronin’s production, Bruce was asked if he would consider doing a cameo. Jokingly, he retorted, “Shouldn’t I just be in it?” This response was met with enthusiastic applause from the audience.

His response to doing a cameo, “Who knows?” Now, he didn’t rule out the possibility but he also didn’t make it seem as if it would definitely happen.

Source:

https://1428elm.com/2020/09/01/bruce-campbell-cameo-evil-dead-rise/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...teases-city-setting-new-movie-evil-dead-rise/

DyD

Spinach Chin
Although I'm still not the least bit enthusiastic about this new Evil Dead film or the urban setting, I gotta say I'd be totally supportive of Bruce Campbell being in it as a completely different character other than Ash. And I don't mean a quick cameo. I mean a recurrent side character that's there for most of the film. I also don't mean one of those "maybe this is Ash and we just don't know it" situations. No. Brand new character, no hero. Make it painfully clear he isn't Ash and will never be anything even similar to Ash. Don't even reference Ash in any way or make any meta commentary about it. Sort of a James Karen and Thom Mathews in Return of the Living Dead Part 2 type of thing. Not only do I think that could be really interesting and a lot of fun, I believe it would both confuse and piss off a lot of people – and that would be hilarious. It'd bring back some of that creative and anarchic feel of early Evil Dead and it would certainly get me a bit more interested in the project.

Last edited:

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
It's nice to see the usual Bruce Campbell hearsay that passes off as groundbreaking news. Isn't it obvious the movie is will take place in a city? I'm guessing it will be Detroit. Bruce didn't make a cameo in the remake. So why would he make one in Rise?

Last edited:

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
Evil Dead is an exhausting franchise to be a fan of, as is Bruce. So many rumors, hearsay, and possible leads of information. AvED has been deceased for 2.5 years and we have been teased about video games, Mortal Kombat rumors, sat through Bruce's relentless foot stomping about wanting to quit FOR GOOD this time, now this. Kind of reminiscent of the years between AoD and AvED.

For a couple of people who seem so incredibly dead-set on running away from a franchise, they don't like to let it die. I enjoyed the Fede movie and while not perfect, I found a lot to love in the show. I'll still watch it with an open mind and very likely enjoy it. I think I just have to agree with some others that for me it is Evil Dead 4 with Sam and Bruce or bust.

That all being said, I hope this Lee character knocks it out of the park. My frustrations lie with decades of Bruce and Sam's love/hate relationship with our beloved franchise. Evil Dead...Rise? being enjoyable would be a positive for all

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Evil Dead is an exhausting franchise to be a fan of, as is Bruce. So many rumors, hearsay, and possible leads of information. AvED has been deceased for 2.5 years and we have been teased about video games, Mortal Kombat rumors, sat through Bruce's relentless foot stomping about wanting to quit FOR GOOD this time, now this. Kind of reminiscent of the years between AoD and AvED.

For a couple of people who seem so incredibly dead-set on running away from a franchise, they don't like to let it die. I enjoyed the Fede movie and while not perfect, I found a lot to love in the show. I'll still watch it with an open mind and very likely enjoy it. I think I just have to agree with some others that for me it is Evil Dead 4 with Sam and Bruce or bust.

That all being said, I hope this Lee character knocks it out of the park. My frustrations lie with decades of Bruce and Sam's love/hate relationship with our beloved franchise. Evil Dead...Rise? being enjoyable would be a positive for all
I still badly want to see Ash in apocalypse London, grumpy like Snake Pliskin or Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven .. a natural progression of Ash's character.

DyD

Spinach Chin
I still badly want to see Ash in apocalypse London, grumpy like Snake Pliskin or Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven .. a natural progression of Ash's character.

Same here... But only if it's really following the original ending to AoD, not AvED, and written and directed by Sam Raimi. Which I'm completely aware has next to zero chance of ever happening. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a post-apoc sequel if it's following AvED.

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart

Sounds great, a fitting end for Ash is all I really want. The season 3 ending was fitting but a movie with no filler, where they go into it knowing it's the final ride, that would be the ultimate ending.

Same here... But only if it's really following the original ending to AoD, not AvED, and written and directed by Sam Raimi. Which I'm completely aware has next to zero chance of ever happening. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a post-apoc sequel if it's following AvED.

As I've said many times, I enjoy many aspects form the show, but Kelly and Pablo were not part of those aspects. I would be ecstatic over a movie that pretty much ignores AvED, while not necessarily retconning it. If they started Evil Dead 4 with Ash in whatever setting he's in, just going about his business and never showing nor mentioning them at all, I'd be a happy camper. Time will tell. The annoying part to me is they KNOW Evil Dead fans are next to none as far as being loyal die-hards, yet Bruce and Sam just don't seem to want to do it again. I love Bruce, but I'm an Evil Dead fanatic above all and Bruce has not handled this right over the past 2 years. I fully understand his viewpoint as well, but I just don't see any way a proper Evil Dead film wouldn't make enough money in this day and age with the amount of fans out there. So again, I will watch this new film but I wish Sam and Bruce would just set their pride aside and give the fans a proper film send-off after 40 years of loyalty. And hey, if it never happens, so be it. I'm not mad, a bit disappointed, but I'm eternally grateful to them for bringing me this franchise

Top Bottom