Evil Dead Rise

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Seriously, that's the name they came up with after brainstorming for hours inside a writers room? Good lord that name is just...

what?

Anyways, i'm fine with them doing stand alone evil dead stories with up and coming directors, that sounds like a formula that could work and could market but that depends on how the writing will be and if the characters won't suck.

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Seriously, that's the name they came up with after brainstorming for hours inside a writers room? Good lord that name is just...

what?

Anyways, i'm fine with them doing stand alone evil dead stories with up and coming directors, that sounds like a formula that could work and could market but that depends on how the writing will be and if the characters won't suck.

I agree, they could have find a better title, I mean, it sound like fan site name, anyway...

I'm also fine with stand alones evil dead stories, by the way, this could have been a great concept for a new series "Evil dead Stories". You just have to follow the book falling into different hands in each episode...Endless possibilies...

just hope this will not confuse people who know the series but are not necessarily a die hard fan. They might confuse this movie as a sequel of the remake.

Another thing, hope they will not make this new character a "lady-dumb-Ash-wannabe". I know they wanted to bring comedy back to the franchise....

Let wait & see, we know nothing so far...

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
I really hope that it's just a placeholder name.

Has anyone watched Lee Cronin's Hole in the Ground? It seems to be only available on Netflix in the UK. The trailer looks ok.

Last edited:

Deadite_Scholar

S-Mart Clerk
I really hope that it's just a placeholder name.

Has anyone watched Lee Cronin's Hole in the Ground? It seems to be only available on Netflix in the UK. The trailer looks ok.

I literally put it on about five minutes ago so I could check out Lee Cronin's work. It's available in the States through Amazon Prime.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Evil Dead Now is such a weird name, and makes me think of Apocalypse Now... or something along those lines. I'm also guessing with Jane Levy being involved with some tv show we will be seeing a totally new female lead. They should bring Arielle Carver-O'Neill in to play Ash's daughter Brandy again.

Confirmation in Twitter form.

Last edited:

DyD

Spinach Chin

I did. It's alright. I found it a bit derivative in narrative and generic in style, to be completely honest. There's not much in the film that's all that memorable and the storytelling could use some tightening up, but I wouldn't say it's a bad movie. The Wretched and Z are two other recent horror films that are very similar to it in theme and story and I prefer both of them to The Hole in the Ground. I can definitely see why they thought of Cronin for the new Evil Dead film though, as there are a couple of moments and shots in The Hole in the Ground that reference The Evil Dead directly.

But the thing is, even if The Hole in the Ground was a horror masterpiece I still wouldn't be excited for this. As I've been saying these past few months, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a new Evil Dead film that isn't written and directed by Sam Raimi himself and nothing about this has changed my mind. Sam's unique filmmaking style, rhythm and sense of humor is what I really love about Evil Dead. Without him, it just ain't Evil Dead to me. Lee Cronin is looking like just another Fede Alvarez type of choice and everything about this feels like The Evil Dead Remake 2.0. Frankly, I'm just bored by the news. I'm really hoping they'll surprise me. I'm waiting for more story details before settling on how I feel about it.

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I did. It's alright. I found it a bit derivative in narrative and generic in style, to be completely honest. There's not much in the film that's all that memorable and the storytelling could use some tightening up, but I wouldn't say it's a bad movie. The Wretched and Z are two other recent horror films that are very similar to it in theme and story and I prefer both of them to The Hole in the Ground. I can definitely see why they thought of Cronin for the new Evil Dead film though, as there are a couple of moments and shots in The Hole in the Ground that reference The Evil Dead directly.

But the thing is, even if The Hole in the Ground was a horror masterpiece I still wouldn't be excited for this. As I've been saying these past few months, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a new Evil Dead film that isn't written and directed by Sam Raimi himself and nothing about this has changed my mind. Sam's unique filmmaking style, rhythm and sense of humor is what I really love about Evil Dead. Without him, it just ain't Evil Dead to me. Lee Cronin is looking like just another Fede Alvarez type of choice and everything about this feels like The Evil Dead Remake 2.0. Frankly, I'm just bored by the news. I'm really hoping they'll surprise me. I'm waiting for more story details before settling on how I feel about it.

I also have no interest either to another Evil Dead version from a xy director, but I'm still curious...I will surely watch it anyway even if the movie is not good.

We must face it. Sam Raimi have no interest to direct another Evil Dead movie. He was supposed to direct more episodes of AVED (at least one for S2) which never happened. He said he could be interested only if Bruce return, I call this BS. He had the chance to get involved with Bruce in many projects and the result was only cameos. He's currently working on another horror movie which should be a mix between Misery and Cast Away. So why choosing working an other horror movie instead of Evil Dead?

We could also point out that he's working on the Doctor Strange movie, It may happen or not...Remember what happened to Edgar Wright on Antman? He could be out or quit anytime.. This is typical from the Marvel universe, everybody is replaceable ...

I will try to watch The hole in the ground as sound as possible. It seem not available in my country yet. I know Lee Cronin did a few shorts, I might check that if I found any on the internet.

DyD

Spinach Chin
We must face it. Sam Raimi have no interest to direct another Evil Dead movie.

Oh, I've faced it. And I'm fine with that. I wouldn't want him to do the movie if he's not feeling it creatively. Realizing my ideal scenario might never happen doesn't change at all my position of not being interested in an alternative. I already gave sans-Raimi Evil Dead a shot with the remake and AvED. Neither worked for me. So now I'm done with it unless Raimi is behind the camera. And if just so happens Raimi is done with that, then I guess Evil Dead is done for me. And like I said, I'm actually fine with that. I can always revisit the original trilogy to get my Evil Dead fix.

I will try to watch The hole in the ground as sound as possible. It seem not available in my country yet. I know Lee Cronin did a few shorts, I might check that if I found any on the internet.

Yup, do that. I thought it was a fun little horror flick with a few great moments, even if it's nothing to write home about.

Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
We must face it. Sam Raimi have no interest to direct another Evil Dead movie.

I have come to the conclusion that Sam likes his big budget movies, and there is no way any Evil Dead movie will ever get a budget like Doctor Strange (it is also his dream project) and whatever else he is working on. Nor would we want it to because the fact that a bunch of no name people from Michigan made a movie so enduring for so little is what makes the original trilogy stand out. Lee Cronin deserves a chance to put his own stamp on it, and I just hope we still have a nice affordable place to see it since AMC has been hinting at problems after they closed everything down due to the coronavirus. They just did a major remodel of our local movie watching establishment complete with nice comfy reclining chairs.

Last edited:

DyD

Spinach Chin
Nor would we want it to because the fact that a bunch of no name people from Michigan made a movie so enduring for so little is what makes the original trilogy stand out.

Yes! Thank you for bringing that up. That's definitely a big part of that certain "Evil Dead feel" I'm always going on about. The makeshift, semi-independent "let's get creative and try to do a lot with very little" aspect of the filmmaking is a huge part of what made Evil Dead what it is. I guess an Evil Dead production that's way too polished and seems to be running on a comfortable budget will always feel a bit off to me, like something's missing.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I've heard some mediocre things about Hole in the Ground, so I'm approaching the movie with trepidation. It's going to depend on the script for me at this point. They got lucky with Fede box office-wise, so you'll have to see something different from that, and we're already hearing a couple of things that hint it won't do much different (another
Female protagonist, for instance
. There's a reason why AvED's recycling ended up killing the show.

Honestly, Sam should just do an Evil Dead anthology tv series. It would probably be cheaper and would serve the same purpose Sam seems to be trying to accomplish (giving newer directors a leg up) without having to involve Bruce or himself. Makes me wonder what happened to Fede's remake sequel script which allegedly exists.

And the title is indeed super atrocious.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
... and we're already hearing a couple of things that hint it won't do much different (another
Female protagonist, for instance
. There's a reason why AvED's recycling ended up killing the show.

Honestly, Sam should just do an Evil Dead anthology tv series. It would probably be cheaper and would serve the same purpose Sam seems to be trying to accomplish (giving newer directors a leg up) without having to involve Bruce or himself. Makes me wonder what happened to Fede's remake sequel script which allegedly exists.

And the title is indeed super atrocious.

About the protagonist, It's all about Hollywood trending.
You cannot make a movie or series now without a strong female character. Just take a look at the Backlash on the Mandalorian series. (The worst part about this, They probably got the most badass female character (Cara Dune) I've seen in years. She's not a skinny top model, She looks really strong) Anyway The rule is simple. No lead female character = You're a mysoginist. it just the plain truth.

I agree they should have stick with the TV series format. I think returning the franchise to the theater is a huge mistake. Or at least a mini-series to boost the budget a bit. Anyway it's supposed to be b-series....

I also wonder what happened the the remake sequel script...As I said, they will kill it with this new movie, because you can't go back and forth with stories, you will confuse people. I think this movie will probably confuse people which saw the remake.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Oh, I definitely don't mind a female lead. It's just going to take some work to distinguish her from Mia.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Oh, I definitely don't mind a female lead. It's just going to take some work to distinguish her from Mia.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind either, It's a simple observation. ;)

The new lead is better to be good, because Jane Levy did a great job as Mia.

Hope they will bring a real synopsis soon.

Top Bottom