Evil Dead References

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Another one almost lost in the mists of time that old member Cactus Jack once posted here (this equally belongs in the Evil dead References thread)

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Isn't that image art from an 80's arcade game called Splatter House ?

The preview of the video shows Splatterhouse, but when you click on the link you see the ED2 level of the game Monsters World which Anthrax is talking about. ;)

P.S: I love Splatterhouse games...The Second one on Sega Genesis is the best IMO. ;)

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The preview of the video shows Splatterhouse, but when you click on the link you see the ED2 level of the game Monsters World which Anthrax is talking about. ;)

P.S: I love Splatterhouse games...The Second one on Sega Genesis is the best IMO. ;)
I see that now thanks, the skull art from the poster used for the game graphic. I remember the Splatterhouse arcade machine and playing it :cool:

Ashy Slashy

S-Mart Clerk
The music videos for Strapping Young Lad's- Love ?. Lordis- Blood red sandman and Mushroomheads- We Are The Truth are all full of evil dead references. If someones already posted these my bad.

burrunjor

Primitive Screwhead
In Spaced a British Sitcom starring and created by Simon Pegg (who later wrote and starred in Shaun of the Dead) there is a giant poster for Evil Dead 2 on the wall of the main characters flat. Simon even poses like Annie Knowby on the poster in one bit when he is scared.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a few references to Evil Dead. Xander calls Spike (a Vampire) The Evil Dead in one episode, whilst in Amends the First Evil chants "DEAD BY SUNRISE" in an homage to DEAD BY DAWN.

Joss Whedon who created Buffy is a big fan of Evil Dead (he also wrote Cabin in the Woods which as a previous poster pointed out has a plethora of Evil Dead references.) IMO the Vampires in Buffy are very similar to the Deadites too in the following ways.

1: Physically they are similar. Both can appear human, but then morph into their Demonic forms, where they have big bumpy, wrinkly foreheads, large teeth and weird eyes.

2: Both the Deadites and the Vampires of Buffy are created by the Old Ones from HP Lovecraft's mythology. In Buffy the Old Ones ruled the earth many thousands of years ago, but were banished into a hell universe. One of the Old Ones however fed on a human, turning him into a hideous, Demon/human hybrid, the first Vampire, who went onto infect more. Vampires in Buffy (at least in the earlier seasons) seek to free the Old Ones from their prison so they can bring an end to the world of man.

In The Evil Dead universe as we know the Dark Ones, hugely powerful godlike Demons ruled the earth for thousands of years, before they were banished to a hell dimension. The Deadites, who are less Demons' goal meanwhile is to free their masters so they can rule the earth.

Both the Deadites and the Vampires in the finales of both of their franchises usually summon up a giant Lovecraftian nightmare that's their master (the Hellmouth Demons in Prophecy Girl, the Kandarian Demon in Ash Vs Evil Dead and the Tree Monster in Evil Dead 2.)

3: Both the Deadites and the Vampires of Buffy are not humans. They are Demons who inhabit human corpses of the people they kill. They do however inherit the memories of the people they take over and even some of their negative personality traits which they use to torment the people close to their hosts in life (See Jessie, Xanders friend in Buffy, and Kelly's mum in Ash vs Evil Dead.)

4: They are both completely evil, chaotic monsters. The Deadites as we know have no motivation but to torture, mutilate and kill people. The Vampires in Buffy are sadistic, bloodthirsty monsters. They enjoy not only killing, but torturing their victims in horrific ways.

5: The main characters of both Buffy and Evil Dead are able to kill them both in absolutely horrific ways without any ambiguity because neither are human, and both are evil bloodthirsty monsters. Both shows often come up with quite creative ways to kill them like when Buffy uses a torch to impale one sneaking up on her, and burn one charging at her with a hammer at the same time!

IMO the Buffy Vampires are the descendants of the Deadites in popular culture. Of course Buffy went in a different direction with Vampires thanks to Spike and Angel. They pushed the Buffy Vampires into more romantic Anne Rice territory which I wasn't as keen on. Still I do think that at their heart the Buffy Vampires are basically Deadites.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The music videos for Strapping Young Lad's- Love ?. Lordis- Blood red sandman and Mushroomheads- We Are The Truth are all full of evil dead references. If someones already posted these my bad.
I know we've had the first two videos on here before, I personally haven't seen the third one so thanks for posting that Ashy Slashy.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
In Spaced a British Sitcom starring and created by Simon Pegg (who later wrote and starred in Shaun of the Dead) there is a giant poster for Evil Dead 2 on the wall of the main characters flat. Simon even poses like Annie Knowby on the poster in one bit when he is scared.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a few references to Evil Dead. Xander calls Spike (a Vampire) The Evil Dead in one episode, whilst in Amends the First Evil chants "DEAD BY SUNRISE" in an homage to DEAD BY DAWN.

Joss Whedon who created Buffy is a big fan of Evil Dead (he also wrote Cabin in the Woods which as a previous poster pointed out has a plethora of Evil Dead references.) IMO the Vampires in Buffy are very similar to the Deadites too in the following ways.

1: Physically they are similar. Both can appear human, but then morph into their Demonic forms, where they have big bumpy, wrinkly foreheads, large teeth and weird eyes.

2: Both the Deadites and the Vampires of Buffy are created by the Old Ones from HP Lovecraft's mythology. In Buffy the Old Ones ruled the earth many thousands of years ago, but were banished into a hell universe. One of the Old Ones however fed on a human, turning him into a hideous, Demon/human hybrid, the first Vampire, who went onto infect more. Vampires in Buffy (at least in the earlier seasons) seek to free the Old Ones from their prison so they can bring an end to the world of man.

In The Evil Dead universe as we know the Dark Ones, hugely powerful godlike Demons ruled the earth for thousands of years, before they were banished to a hell dimension. The Deadites, who are less Demons' goal meanwhile is to free their masters so they can rule the earth.

Both the Deadites and the Vampires in the finales of both of their franchises usually summon up a giant Lovecraftian nightmare that's their master (the Hellmouth Demons in Prophecy Girl, the Kandarian Demon in Ash Vs Evil Dead and the Tree Monster in Evil Dead 2.)

3: Both the Deadites and the Vampires of Buffy are not humans. They are Demons who inhabit human corpses of the people they kill. They do however inherit the memories of the people they take over and even some of their negative personality traits which they use to torment the people close to their hosts in life (See Jessie, Xanders friend in Buffy, and Kelly's mum in Ash vs Evil Dead.)

4: They are both completely evil, chaotic monsters. The Deadites as we know have no motivation but to torture, mutilate and kill people. The Vampires in Buffy are sadistic, bloodthirsty monsters. They enjoy not only killing, but torturing their victims in horrific ways.

5: The main characters of both Buffy and Evil Dead are able to kill them both in absolutely horrific ways without any ambiguity because neither are human, and both are evil bloodthirsty monsters. Both shows often come up with quite creative ways to kill them like when Buffy uses a torch to impale one sneaking up on her, and burn one charging at her with a hammer at the same time!

IMO the Buffy Vampires are the descendants of the Deadites in popular culture. Of course Buffy went in a different direction with Vampires thanks to Spike and Angel. They pushed the Buffy Vampires into more romantic Anne Rice territory which I wasn't as keen on. Still I do think that at their heart the Buffy Vampires are basically Deadites.
Hi burronger and welcome, we have discussed the SPACED references here before, there's another one in the show where the flat mates all chant/drone "join us join us" ..

As for the Buffy vampire similarities? .. at a stretch, we could also compare Frankenstein, Pumpkinhead, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Krueger, most of the monsters from Re-Animator etc etc .. the list is endless.

We're purists about our Kandarian demons on Deadites.net, imagine if you went on a hard core Star Trek fan forum and told everyone using well though out arguments about how the crew of The Enterprise were actually sort of Jedi because they also had laser guns and space battles. Some would even suspect you of trolling ;)

burrunjor

Primitive Screwhead
Hi burronger and welcome, we have discussed the SPACED references here before, there's another one in the show where the flat mates all chant/drone "join us join us" ..

As for the Buffy vampire similarities? .. at a stretch, we could also compare Frankenstein, Pumpkinhead, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Krueger, most of the monsters from Re-Animator etc etc .. the list is endless.

We're purists about our Kandarian demons on Deadites.net, imagine if you went on a hard core Star Trek fan forum and told everyone using well though out arguments about how the crew of The Enterprise were actually sort of Jedi because they also had laser guns and space battles. Some would even suspect you of trolling ;)

Thanks for the welcome. LOL I wasn't trolling. I love Evil Dead too. Ash vs Evil Dead is actually my favourite series of the past 10 years easy. I love the fact that its a proper action, horror series that doesn't get bogged down in any soap opera mince. Sadly it seems most sci fi and fantasy series these days are often too afraid to be sci fi and fantasy, so they'll end up focusing on tedious soap opera garbage about the characters personal life, shipping etc, and the sci fi and fantasy will be pushed to the back almost as an afterthought. Ash vs Evil Dead however is a horror, fantasy series first and foremost.

Still I stand by my comments about the Buffy Vampires being essentially the same villains as the Deadites Yes there are tropes common to all monsters, but there are definitely stronger similarities between those two species of monsters than others.

They both are Demon human hybrids, created by all powerful God like Demons who they hope to free from hell. In both cases the god like Demons are taken straight from the works of HP Lovecraft (the old ones, the necromicon.) They both are twisted, sadistic, and perverted, both are Demons that possess human corpses, but absorb the memories of the hosts (and even some personality traits.) They both use these memories to torment their hosts relatives and loved ones. (Compare Kelly and Spike's mothers tormenting them. In both cases the Demon pretends that their mothers hated them in life, and uses the fact that they have their mothers memories to plant that seed of doubt in Spike and Kelly's minds that maybe their parents did actually think this, but were just too nice to say it.) Both have similar appearances of big bumpy foreheads, both are regularly killed in the most gruesome horrible ways without any ambiguity, and both are fought by someone called "THE CHOSEN ONE" who prior to becoming the chosen one was someone you could never imagine being a hero, and is still an unconventional hero afterwards.

That's not a slight on the Evil Dead movies to point that out however. Its the opposite as it shows how influential they were on the next generation of horror. Joss Whedon even said that the more exaggerated make up for the Vampires from the earlier episodes of Buffy was meant to resemble the creatures from horror movies like Evil Dead!

I also think that the Demons from Supernatural owe a lot to the Deadites too in terms of personalities.. Its no secret that the creator of Supernatural, Eric Kripke is a HUGE Evil Dead fan. In one episode, Dean and Sam Winchester (the two main protagonists) use Raimi and Campbell as aliases when going undercover. Also Bruce Campbell was Kripke's first choice for playing John, Sam and Dean's father, but sadly he was too busy at the time.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I'm fairly sure an Ash Vs Evil Dead Ashy Slashy hand puppet can be seen rocking out at 0:54 in this below vid (this is a genuine advert made by a Norwegian family who are trying to sell their house btw) ..

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I definitely need that Nec chocolate bar!

K100

S-Mart Clerk
From Ducktales episode "The golden Spear".

There is a reference to "Klatoo Verata Nicto" from AoD too and there is a possessed goat, maybe a reference to Drag me to Hell ?

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I will release a new album this September with my band Doom's Day. The album will be release through PRC Music Label. This is an exclusive track that we provided to Horror-Punks.net. This song is called "The Evil Dead"....I guess no need to explain the story of that song. :p

Mixsah

Primitive Screwhead
How about the fact that The Necronomicon was literally in Friday the 13th: Jason goes to Hell? In the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash comics it is revealed that Pamela resurrected Jason using the infamous Book of the Dead
hg.jpg

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
How about the fact that The Necronomicon was literally in Friday the 13th: Jason goes to Hell? In the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash comics it is revealed that Pamela resurrected Jason using the infamous Book of the Dead
hg.jpg
The Necronomicon was also in Pumkinhead aka Vegence The Demon, both situations caused legal issues between the creator Tom Sullivan and Renaissance Pictures/ Sam Raimi who later sent a letter of apology to Tom.

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
Top Bottom