Evil Dead References

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
It's been a while since we last updated our Evil Dead References section. So we decided to open up a thread to crowdsource Evil Dead references that you the fans have caught in movies, video games, TV shows, and music since our last update. Please check out our Evil Dead references section before posting a reference.

I'll start with the new sci-fi/horror show Stranger Things on Netflix:

tRbOW63.jpg

K100

S-Mart Clerk
I've made a video in 2009 to show most of the Evil Dead references in the video game Blood:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCnfN_Y1XNg[/video]

Edit: Sorry, I've just read your link and it already mention Blood. It's 3am here, I'm a bit tired. ^^

There is a complete episode of the TV Show Martin Mystery that is an hommage/reference to Evil Dead. (It's not mentioned in your link)

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvOREEVj-ic[/video]

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I always thought one of the best was from The Curse of Mr. Bean when he goes to the movies, and uses his comb as a chainsaw before pretending to cut off his hand complete with sounds to scare his girlfriend. I don't have my old pictures which I posted on the site many years ago, but did find this one, and you can see the full scene bellow.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVuBFQ_qstc[/video]

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Megan Fox as Jennifer Check, wearing an Evil Dead shirt and with an Evil Dead poster on her wall in Jennifer's Body:

6Vfnd1w.png

TLM7978

Primitive Screwhead
New guy here, but another Evil Dead reference from "Stranger Things"- 

In the beginning of chapter six, "the monster", Jonathan and Nancy get separated after she crawls into a hole in a tree and into "the upside down". After spending a period of time there, she crawls back thru the portal to Jonathan, and she sticks her hand out thru the hole in the tree, outstretched in a manner identical to the original Evil Dead poster.

Anthrax

S-Mart Clerk
Cabin in the woods. The plot has several similarities to ED (Teens stalked by undead beings in a cabin) And "deadites" is written on a list of monsters at a blackboard later in the film.
There was also a Treehouse of Horror comic where a cursed object puts people inside films. Bart is sent into ED2 where he fights Henrietta and a severed hand.

Ashenwraith

Loud Mouth Braggart
Anthrax said:
Cabin in the woods. The plot has several similarities to ED (Teens stalked by undead beings in a cabin) And "deadites" is written on a list of monsters at a blackboard later in the film.
There was also a Treehouse of Horror comic where a cursed object puts people inside films. Bart is sent into ED2 where he fights Henrietta and a severed hand.

Hey good catch.

I never saw the movie, but I though it was more kinda like Waxworks with a bit of Cube instead--but that was just from my peek at the cover/trailer.

Anthrax

S-Mart Clerk
Never saw it myself either, just discovered those things from a review.

The episode "Turtles in Time" from the newest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon has them fighting skeletons at a graveyard. http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Skeleton_Warriors Site claims the episode is referencing Jason and the argonauts, but it feels more like AOD to me because of the medieval setting. But it could be referencing both films for that matter

DyD

Spinach Chin
TLM7978 said:
New guy here, but another Evil Dead reference from "Stranger Things"- 

In the beginning of chapter six, "the monster", Jonathan and Nancy get separated after she crawls into a hole in a tree and into "the upside down". After spending a period of time there, she crawls back thru the portal to Jonathan, and she sticks her hand out thru the hole in the tree, outstretched in a manner identical to the original Evil Dead poster.

Maybe. The fact that the character who pulls her out of the tree has the Evil Dead poster on his bedroom certainly makes a case for it, but the image of hands sticking out of the ground is actually a pretty common horror trope. That could actually be a reference to Carrie also (which is referenced on other parts of the series as well, just like Evil Dead). It could be a reference to both. Or it could be just a reference to a common horror image, which is far more likely.

Anthrax said:

Cabin in the Woods is another mish-mash of horror references. The characters in the film are essentially forced to play characters in a cliche horror movie scenario to please angry ancient deities. I don't want to spoil it for you guys, but there's another reference to the "hand coming out of the ground" image in there too. Here, the Evil Dead references are actually pretty clear and obvious. Even the exterior of the titular cabin is made up to look like the Evil Dead cabin, on purpose.

I remember a Treehouse of Horrors Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa read from an ancient book and raise the dead as well.

Anthrax said:
Never saw it myself either, just discovered those things from a review.

The episode "Turtles in Time" from the newest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon has them fighting skeletons at a graveyard. http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Skeleton_Warriors Site claims the episode is referencing Jason and the argonauts, but it feels more like AOD to me because of the medieval setting. But it could be referencing both films for that matter

The skeletons in AoD are actually a reference to Jason and the Argonauts too.

Anthrax

S-Mart Clerk
Yes, but the episode feels like it specifically references AOD because it also feauted a cemetery and medieval setting.

K100

S-Mart Clerk
From the game Viscera Cleanup Detail.

The chainsaw and Ash's hand are in the game too.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
HAH. I was hoping that would be a level in that game!

K100

S-Mart Clerk
It's in the DLC "House of Horror".

Toxic34

S-Mart Clerk
Who here didn't love the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, especially the character of Hoss Delgado? There's so much to like in a character that's clearly the love child of Ash and Snake Plissken.

ChemaVillalba

S-Mart Clerk
Know this? It's a 1997 music theme by Aphex Twin

"I'LL EAT YOUR SOUL!!"

Direction and fx are from Chris Cunningham, who worked on Alien movies and several other horror films and music videos. I might be wrong, but I also perceive some kind of influence of his style in "Ash vs Evil Dead", specially in the new Demonic additions to the "ED" universe (Eligos, Ruby's spawn, etc...)

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p71GvWkLw9k[/video]

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
ChemaVillalba said:
Know this? It's a 1997 music theme by Aphex Twin

"I'LL EAT YOUR SOUL!!"

Direction and fx are from Chris Cunningham, who worked on Alien movies and several other horror films and music videos. I might be wrong, but I also perceive some kind of influence of his style in "Ash vs Evil Dead", specially in the new Demonic additions to the "ED" universe (Eligos, Ruby's spawn, etc...)

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p71GvWkLw9k[/video]

I could bang on for hours about Richard James .. I used to sort of know him .. also check out 'Window Licker' and 'Rubber Johnny' if you're a new fan .. we used to go to his raves .. 

Anthrax

S-Mart Clerk
The cartoon Nexo Knights has an evil spellbook with a face on it ala the Necronomicon. Dunno if the book had that in the Lovecraft stories or if that is exclusive to Evil Dead, but here's the cartoon anyway: https://youtu.be/IC9n7J059AI?t=144

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Any Dethklock and BatMetal fans here?

Well, It ssem Batman took the Necronomicon from Ash in this video :

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
To bring up an old one .. in fact, almost cetainlly the first ever The Evil Dead pop culture reference in a commercially available tune or any other entertainment format unless anyone can prove me wrong, here's Colourbox's tune 'Hot Doggy'.

Sampling sounds from films etc was still a newish thing back in '84 .. :cool: .. but Deadites.net (formally DeaditesOnline) doesn't miss a thing .. (skip to 2:00 into this tune to hear Cheryl snarling "You Will Die!" and "One By One" + "Lover Boy" and the chainsaw whirling) .. a 32 year old Evil Dead definite recorded reference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom