Deadite Hills Retirement Home (Nostalgia Thread)

KingRob

S-Mart Clerk
Since a few of us old timers are slowly finding our way back, I figured we needed a place to reconnect, crack open a few skulls and toast the good ol' days.

So if you have fond memories of any iteration of this here forum, this is the place to share em!

I'll go first -

There's all sorts of stuff I remember fondly, but I think the biggest was the pipe dream we had of doing an official group trip to the original cabin. We had updated info on the location and the owner, as someone had recently gone to snag a brick from the original fireplace. Before bucket lists were a thing, that trip was on my bucket list.

DyD

Spinach Chin
KingRob said:
There's all sorts of stuff I remember fondly, but I think the biggest was the pipe dream we had of doing an official group trip to the original cabin. We had updated info on the location and the owner, as someone had recently gone to snag a brick from the original fireplace. Before bucket lists were a thing, that trip was on my bucket list.

I remember that.

When I first joined the forum, it looked like this:

Captura%20de%20Tela%202015-11-11%20agraves%2022.56.48_zps8btfjlv3.png

Also, if you click on the following link, you can see my artwork featured on the old fan art section of the main site under the name "Guto":

http://web.archive.org/web/20020110110548/http://www.deadites.net/fanart.html

That was 14 years ago.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Blast from the past! How long we have come.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I remember trying to organise a film showing at the cabin site, that might be the thread you're talking about although I'd have to scan and post/email the page now to prove it .. although I would never have been able to get there myself .. a projector showing it on a white screen placed inside the remains of the cabin. It could still be done in fact. I miss posters from the same time period like Raimiette, Norguard, Morsoth, NamesAshHousewares, Daniel and so on and so on .... I've still got a ton of those chat pages printed on paper in folders. Happy times. I'm not trying to win any friends by pointing out that we've got some great and equally enthusiastic posters here now and today because it's the truth .... and a lot less flame war bullshit for one thing. I remember being so excited about getting a Tom Sullivan sculpted book of the dead DVD .. I still love it now.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Swofty said:
I remember trying to organise a film showing at the cabin site, that might be the thread you're talking about although I'd have to scan and post/email the page now to prove it .. although I would never have been able to get there myself .. a projector showing it on a white screen placed inside the remains of the cabin. It could still be done in fact. I miss posters from the same time period like Raimiette, Norguard, Morsoth, NamesAshHousewares, Daniel and so on and so on .... I've still got a ton of those chat pages printed on paper in folders. Happy times. I'm not trying to win any friends by pointing out that we've got some great and equally enthusiastic posters here now and today because it's the truth .... and a lot less flame war bullshit for one thing. I remember being so excited about getting a Tom Sullivan sculpted book of the dead DVD .. I still love it now.

Yep, I remember people like Raimiette, Norguard and Morsoth as well. I also fondly remember the filmmaking forums. There were a lot of really useful guides for building DIY equipment and tips for aspiring filmmakers. I used to love seeing the progress on the films people were making that were inspired by the Evil Dead films. It really made me feel less alone in the world, seeing and talking to other people that were inspired by the Evil Dead films as much as I was to become filmmakers themselves.

I also remember how exciting the release of the Book of the Dead edition DVD was. I hope you all took good care of yours, as mine dried up, started cracking and the paint on the cover faded pretty badly over time. I also remember how disappointed I was about the new "approved by Sam Raimi" widescreen transfer of the film once I watched it. The image quality was great, but the widescreen framing was terrible.

KingRob

S-Mart Clerk
Nice find Guto! I played around a bit and found a few saved forum pages from 2002 where I'm listed as the most recent poster (one being the post where I shared pictures of Bruce's visit to the University of Minnesota campus for a book signing).

At some point I also shared a bunch of pictures from the first-ever Crypticon - MN's horror convention - where I got to meet Tom and Ellen and get some up-close pics of Tom's Evil Dead Museum (he even opened up his glass prop case for me). Good times!

I really did spent way too much of my free time on here, though. I think there were a few weeks (months?) there back when I first showed up where I felt like I had to post replies on on every. single. thread. I'm sure we're all glad I moved past that particular phase in my fandom.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Hey Guto .. I used your artwork by printing it on acetate to use as part of an Evil Dead talk at a college in Burton on Trent ... we had one of those friznel lens lanterns before digital projection existed and I got a great mark for my presentation. Thanks for that mate.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Swofty said:
Hey Guto .. I used your artwork by printing it on acetate do use as part of an Evil Dead talk at a college in Burton on Trent ... we had one of those friznel lens lanterns before digital projection existed and I got a great mark for my presentation. Thanks for that mate.

That's good to know. I feel honored! And you're welcome! :D

I actually got better at drawing over these years (but not that much better, to be completely honest). Unfortunately, I have no recent Evil Dead artwork to share.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
It was my second talk and it happened in about 2000 Gutso. I also used other fan art to demonstrate that an underground fan scene was growing .. my first talk went down like a turd in a punchbowl seeing as The Evil Dead wasn't quite acceptable or recognized as legal yet in 1990 .. I was failed for that one for political reasons but aced the second one a decade later

DyD

Spinach Chin
Swofty said:
It was my second talk and it happened in about 2000 Gutso. I also used other fan art to demonstrate that an underground fan scene was growing .. my first talk went down like a turd in a punchbowl seeing as The Evil Dead wasn't quite acceptable or recognized as legal yet in 1990 .. I was failed for that one for political reasons but aced the second one a decade later

Well, now I'm even more honored to have been a part of that (even if just a very small part). You were right on the money. Like I said on the Introduce Yourself thread, Evil Dead was pretty much my own thing that I had discovered on my own and that nobody else seemed to know or care about, and it stayed that way until the very late 90's. The first sign I noticed that it was becoming more mainstream and popular was the Hail to the King game for the Playstation. It was around that time that I discovered Deadites Online, this forum and met all of you. I think the internet had a lot to do with it becoming more mainstream and as popular as it is now.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
The good old days. 

I remember constantly checking for updates on the Movie Maniacs line, holding out for a Medieval Ash. I also remember drooling over Theron's movie prop collection, and wishing I had my own.

Different tempo to the board back then. I do wish we still had access to some of the super creative ideas that sprung our of our younger, and slightly less cynical minds back then. I think it all got nuked though, in one of the many nukings.

Who was the member who created the Evil Dead side-scrolling game? I think he made the sprites himself, and put the whole thing together using Games Factory or something similar. It was pretty darn good from what I remember. I wonder if it was ever finished?

Does anyone happen to remember what I'm referring to?

Anyway, hooray for the oldies!

DyD

Spinach Chin
eViL DeAdiTe said:
The good old days. 

I remember constantly checking for updates on the Movie Maniacs line, holding out for a Medieval Ash. I also remember drooling over Theron's movie prop collection, and wishing I had my own.

Different tempo to the board back then. I do wish we still had access to some of the super creative ideas that sprung our of our younger, and slightly less cynical minds back then. I think it all got nuked though, in one of the many nukings.

Who was the member who created the Evil Dead side-scrolling game? I think he made the sprites himself, and put the whole thing together using Games Factory or something similar. It was pretty darn good from what I remember. I wonder if it was ever finished?

Does anyone happen to remember what I'm referring to?

Anyway, hooray for the oldies!

Theron! The names of old forum members that are no longer around just keep coming.

Yeah, I remember that game. I played the unfinished demo he released back then. It was really fun and I loved the sprites. I remember that he changed the Ash sprites to a 16 bit styled version at some point. Both looked good, but I actually preferred the first version. Even if it looked a little dated, it still looked completely original. I searched for the game some time ago and didn't find anything. I remember trying to access his website before the Deadites Online overhaul, but it was offline. I did a quick search for it now and I only found this thread from 2005 on a different forum:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=116284

His username here on Deadites Online was "8thMan" as well, I think. His Sad Jason Productions website is still offline, but at least that url I linked above has a few screenshots from the first version of the game. I guess he never finished it.

Now, if only I could remember what MY username used to be around here back then. It's driving me nuts. I think I actually had two. I changed it after the forum was updated for the first time and we had to register again. I THINK my first username was "TheDeaditeInYourCellar" and that my second and most prolific one was "DyD". But I'm not sure. Do any of you remember either of those two names?

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Theron Turner was the closest I ever got to his real name but he was a fun poster, he had and maybe still has a huge collection of ED/AOD costumes including screen used Ash, Sheila, Wiseman and a lot of other costume, all of them carefully placed on maquettes ,the back shield of a Deadite horse as well as face cast pulls of the Evil Ash sculpt ...

DyD

Spinach Chin
Found it! Yes, my username back then was "DyD"! Now it's all coming back to me! Here, you can see it on this screenshot from 2004 that I was the most recent poster on the General Discussion subforum (circled in red):

Captura%20de%20Tela%202015-11-19%20agraves%2023.26.31%20copy_zpsgyoyiet7.jpg

Now I regret registering on these new forums under "Gut0nez".

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Are we able to fix it so GutOnez can be re- renamed DyD on the forum Kain? .. got to keep the regulars happy !

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Swofty said:
Theron Turner was the closest I ever got to his real name but he was a fun poster, he had and maybe still has a huge collection of ED/AOD costumes including screen used Ash, Sheila, Wiseman and a lot of other costume, all of them carefully placed on maquettes ,the back shield of a Deadite horse as well as face cast pulls of the Evil Ash sculpt ...

Yes, I believe that was indeed his name. I got into prop collecting myself for a spell, and we emailed a bit. I actually own a few pieces from that collection now. He sold off some others, though I imagine he has kept most of the hero pecies, like the Ash & Sheila costumes. Good guy.

Gut0nez said:
Yeah, I remember that game. I played the unfinished demo he released back then. It was really fun and I loved the sprites. I remember that he changed the Ash sprites to a 16 bit styled version at some point. Both looked good, but I actually preferred the first version. Even if it looked a little dated, it still looked completely original. I searched for the game some time ago and didn't find anything. I remember trying to access his website before the Deadites Online overhaul, but it was offline. I did a quick search for it now and I only found this thread from 2005 on a different forum:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=116284

His username here on Deadites Online was "8thMan" as well, I think. His Sad Jason Productions website is still offline, but at least that url I linked above has a few screenshots from the first version of the game. I guess he never finished it.

Back to the Boondocks!!! Yes, that was it  :)

Cool game, and I remember playing a few demos as well. I think the last level I remember him working on was a chase scene where you're running from the evil force. 

I had been working on a similar sprite based game as well at the time, thought I never got much further than creating the sprites and a very rudimentary level. 

I had so much free time back in those days....sniff..

DyD

Spinach Chin
Swofty said:
Are we able to fix it so GutOnez can be re- renamed DyD on the forum Kain? .. got to keep the regulars happy !

If it's possible, that would be lovely! I'd like that. If it's not possible, that's ok. Not a big deal.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I'll poke Kain to see if he can do that for you soon, Gut0nez!

DyD

Spinach Chin
MaidOfKandar said:
I'll poke Kain to see if he can do that for you soon, Gut0nez!

Thanks! I'll understand if it's too much trouble, though. It would be nice to have my old username back, but it's not a big deal.

Top Bottom