Bruce hinting at coming back as Ash?

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
c113x5x46i451.jpg

Reddit post here has this excerpt from the new July 2020 Empire Magazine where Bruce Campbell is interviewed. I don't know if this is a real excerpt and I don't know what context it's in. I look forward to seeing the actual full interview.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Sutter Cane made the point I was going to make; it's Bruce, he's always like this.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Ok so this is the plan so far to bring back the franchise... So no replacement for Ash, just going along with different Evil Dead stories and characters...I'm ok with it as long as they bring something fresh and not only repeat the cabin story over and over. If they do this, they should put a lot of emphasis on the mythology, but I don't think this will happen. Usually when they bring new directors and writers, it's not to do a follow up of the previous film and mythos...

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I hate to be that kinda person, but the comics already tried that. at this point, it depends on how original we go here.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Yep! With a more serious tone, could be great!
Exactly! .. I'm not a fan of the trend for 'dark' retellings of super hero movies but I'd love to see Ash as a wizened hermit, less frat boy pleasing laughs and more atmosphere .. the current corona times are ideal for audiences to relate to Ash's apocalypse isolation and a more serious evolution to his character .. he'd be even tougher by now.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Lee Cronin did some press related to his 50 States of Fright episode and spoke about why Sam picked him, and what his plans are for his installment of the franchise.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Lee Cronin did some press related to his 50 States of Fright episode and spoke about why Sam picked him, and what his plans are for his installment of the franchise.
I'm not saying a high rise/skyscraper setting couldn't be done but we've seen that before in DIEHARD, Attack The Block, REC, DREDD and SKYSCRAPER starring The Rock .. other styles of locations are available ..

Last edited:

DyD

Spinach Chin
I'm not saying a high rise/skyscraper setting couldn't be done but we've seen that before in DIEHARD, Attack The Block, REC, DREDD and SKYSCRAPER starring The Rock .. other styles of locations are available ..

... and Gremlins 2, Demons 2, The Raid, Mayhem, The Belko Experiment, The Towering Inferno... This "unleash chaos in a building" idea has been done multiple times before, both in horror and other genres. Sure, it may be a new setting for an Evil Dead film, specifically, but to keep trying to sell it as a wholly original concept is very silly. I'd definitely prefer it if they had given a little more thought to it and tried to come up with something fresher, less safe. I still hope they surprise us with the execution, but the second you hear about the high-rise setting you can picture in your head almost immediately how the whole movie is gonna play out and feel like in terms of structure, rhythm and atmosphere, precisely because you've seen this very same concept in so many films before.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Whoops, I meant to drop that into the Evil Dead Rise thread!

Yeah, it's not exactly the freshest material possible.

Yep! With a more serious tone, could be great!

"More serious tone?" You know Logan is all about decay and death, with both Wolverine and Xavier dying as a pair of sad old men, right? I hope to heaven they don't turn Ash's story into something like that. I know this is a horror franchise, but Ash is about fighting back against the forces of fatalism, not succumbing to them.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
"More serious tone?" You know Logan is all about decay and death, with both Wolverine and Xavier dying as a pair of sad old men, right? I hope to heaven they don't turn Ash's story into something like that. I know this is a horror franchise, but Ash is about fighting back against the forces of fatalism, not succumbing to them.

Why not? Surviving from Evil for so long is already an achievement for a mortal. Remember Ash is no Navy seal, nor a super hero. How many times did we heard Bruce Campbell telling that? So I expect him dying like an old average man.

Also since, time travel is a part of Evil Dead Franchise, there's always a way to bring him back, young or old, they just need to alterate the timeline et voilà! ;)

Top Bottom