Bruce Campbell reveals what incarnation the next Evil Dead will be and talks about the end of Ash (Vs Evil Dead).

Bruce once said something to the effect of hoping AvsED would last five seasons at most, otherwise it starts outstaying its welcome. He compared it to "Burn Notice," and how he's talked to people who don't even remember what happened after the fifth season.

Personally, I would have been more than happy seeing AvsED end after five seasons. But as it is, Ash's story has been left on a cliffhanger. You just can't let go of a show if it's missing a proper conclusion. That's why "Twin Peaks" eventually came back, even if it took twenty-five years. Fans simply couldn't move on from the final episode's cliffhanger. If you saw it for yourself, you wouldn't blame them.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I don't know if we really need a parade of reboots and sideboots. They tried this in comic form (Space Goat's Tales of the Nec) and it didn't work.

The trick will be making people care for this new protag as much as they cared for Ash and Mia. How many times can lightning strike in the same place?

DyD

Spinach Chin
Bruce once said something to the effect of hoping AvsED would last five seasons at most, otherwise it starts outstaying its welcome. He compared it to "Burn Notice," and how he's talked to people who don't even remember what happened after the fifth season..

I agree with the point he's trying to make there wholeheartedly. I sincerely believe every show - no matter the genre or subject matter - should end after 5, 6 seasons at the most.

But as it is, Ash's story has been left on a cliffhanger. You just can't let go of a show if it's missing a proper conclusion.

Eh, I don't know about that... I really don't see that ending as a cliffhanger. I see it as a perfect Evil Dead ending and the only satisfying note to leave the character on. Giving Ash's story a finite conclusion is just wrong and the most anti-Evil Dead thing you could do. He's cursed to keep fighting the dark ones, kandarian demons and deadites forever. The best way to end his story is with him accepting that destiny and willingly moving forward into the unknown, to face whatever crazy thing gets thrown at him next. Ash's battle has no end, it just changes scenery. To me, that's truly the only ending that feels right for the character. Giving him some tragic sacrificial sendoff or a victorious happy ending where he defeats evil, saves his loved ones, retires and passes on the torch to someone else is what would really feel incredibly forced and unsatisfying to me.

Last edited:

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
Eh, I don't know about that... I really don't see that ending as a cliffhanger. I see it as a perfect Evil Dead ending and the only satisfying note to leave the character on. Giving Ash's story a finite conclusion is just wrong and the most anti-Evil Dead thing you could do. He's cursed to keep fighting the dark ones, kandarian demons and deadites forever. The best way to end his story is with him accepting that destiny and willingly moving forward into the unknown, to face whatever crazy thing gets thrown at him next. Ash's battle has no end, it just changes scenery. To me, that's truly the only ending that feels right for the character. Giving him some tragic sacrificial sendoff or a victorious happy ending where he defeats evil, saves his loved ones, retires and passes on the torch to someone else is what would really feel incredibly forced and unsatisfying to me.

Well said. I wanted to write the very same thing.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I agree with leaving Ash wandering off into the sunset on adventure we'll just have to imagine for ourselves. To echo DyD, that's the evil dead way to end any Ash adventure.

Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if Bruce returned as Ash in 10-15 years time as a mean old bastard in post apocalypse London, sort of like Snake Pliskin in Escape From New York but now an old man.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin

I totally agree, but it should have been done slightly differently. Just a little narration added by Ash could have changed everything at the end of third season...for the best.

Just a little something that he's now FINALLY embracing his fate...I mean if you're looking at every Evil Dead movies, he's fighting against evil but never totally accepted it. Even in the series, he want to end this actually, but still deny his role or make fun of it. He simply not believe it. The thing missing is Ash clearly telling and accepting that he's the chosen one. So this could have been a much more satisfying ending. This could have been done at last minute, without any reshooting. It close the circle clear and simple. It give much more meaning to the series...

I really like the way you think about the character,, but the way it actually ended leaves too much to interpretation and confusion.... We knew they were working on a season 4. So unfortunately, it was clearly an open ending for more AvED. They just released it as it is. It was probably too late to go back in the edit room. So we got this ending. As a fan we can found 1 millions theories, but this ending is still lacking of something to be fully satisfying IMO.

The last minute sacrifice or passes the torch would have been a very bad idea....We don't need an Evil Dead : Next Generation. I prefer to know that Ash's legend lives on in a way... At this point they just need to do something else with the franchise.

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
I don't view the ending as a cliffhanger, as much as just feeling slightly unfulfilled. It was a good ending for the character, for sure, it was just the way they went about it that didn't feel great. In a one month span, we went from talk about continuing the show or making a movie AT ALL COSTS, then the show gets axed and Bruce takes an epic 180. I think it helps when fans know something is ending beforehand, as if they were to make a 4th movie and say "okay, this is the last Evil Dead you're getting EVER so suck it up." I think more people would be satisfied. However, that's not what happened, AvED had a good ending, and Bruce is very likely done with it and I believe that this time. It's also October 1st today so time for Evil Dead

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
I watched Ash Vs The Evil Dead. I felt something was missing. It wasn’t enough. If the the show had villains like Eligos, Freddy, or vampires. The show would had 5 seasons. In the comics Deadites hate Vampires. It would had been a interesting dynamic to see.

Top Bottom