AvED - What is your opinion? [SPOILERS!]

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
My "asinine" comments was squarely rooted at him saying he wished the show was canceled. More tact could have been used. At any rate if anyone is offended then I am sorry. Tensions have been high all week for me with most of my lineup of shows being canceled so I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. I'll personally drop the matter and move on.

For me it was Brooklyn Nine Nine; I got lucky with a reprieve on that one!

Let's keep it civil, folks!

EvilDeadFan89

S-Mart Clerk
Let's keep it civil, folks!
Agreed. My intention with my opinion was not to offend anyone. I was just giving my two cents on the subject. My apologies if anyone was offended.
However, I do want to thank DyD and Ashenwraith for understanding where I was coming from and backing me up; I actually had some great exchanges with DyD on this thread and he has me curious on seeing the few episodes that he recommended. I also apologize that staff members had to get involved.
In a larger sense, we were referring to all fandoms where people wish something would be canceled and everyone is out of work simply because they don’t like it, and that is indeed asinine. That’s not directly aimed at the previous poster, but I do not understand why someone would think the franchise should fit their own personal wants. A lot of super fans of various fandoms feel like it’s THEIR franchise, they grew up with it and it should always make them happy. The truth is Bruce, Sam, and Rob own Evil Dead so anything they decide to do with it going forward IS Evil Dead. I understand that the show did not meet some fans’ expectations but the appropriate response is to just give the show up. In a much smaller sense obviously, this is equivalent to saying “ I don’t like that person, I hope he/she dies.”
With the “sadistic”, “trolling” and “asinine” comments aside, I’ll mention again that I wrote my opinion earlier in the year, I just never got around to posting it until recently. But I can definitely see that it “looks” like I’m adding salt to an open wound.
To explain further my “I hope it gets canceled” comment, I honestly didn’t want to see a character and property that I love get tarnished anymore than it already did with AvED. If you liked the show, I respect that you do. At the end of the day it’s art; everybody sees something different in the “painting”.
But, I tried very hard to ignore it, I went as far as not going on Deadites.net during the show’s run because of the updates with the show. (No offense here either, it’s great that you guys wanted to do that.) I just did not wanted to be reminded of the show.
I do have to respectively disagree with the “THEIR franchise” comments. The question here lies, when does it stop being the filmmakers franchise and become the fan’s? I’ve seen this argument and ideology before. The way I see it, once the Genie is out of the bottle, it’s very hard to put him back in. i.e. It becomes everybody’s “figuratively” despite the fact that Sam, Bruce and Rob actually own it and can do whatever they want to do with it. Doesn’t mean I have to buy into it and say IT’s Evil Dead though. For me, it’s not. Would you call the games or comic books Evil Dead? It has the name on the product and Bruce does provide his voice though, but does it still fall under “IT’S Evil Dead”?. That’s why fans, such as ourselves, get so passionate with how we see it and how we think it should go. I agree this goes through all fandoms, though. Try telling that ideology to a Star Wars fan nowadays and I bet they’ll feel similarly the way I do.
And I don't blame that Evildead89 guy for wanting the show to be cancelled. After a while it stopped feeling like Evil Dead and became 'The Bruce Campbell Humiliation Show'. And that becomes even more cringy when Bruce would go on tour and blame his fans for the show failing and scoff at them for wanting a real ED film.

No one forced his head up a prosthetic ass--and if he bothered to run it by his fans they would have told him not to do it.
Like DyD, I agree with this statement 100% as well. And again, I do appreciate that you saw where I was coming from.
There was also all the talk about purposefully avoiding any type of significant character development, since "this is a show about a guy with a chainsaw hand" (his actual words).
I remember reading that article after season 1 was finished. In the article, they mentioned that if there going to do any character development, Ash’s development was only gonna be 1% per season. Which, I remember thinking that was not a very good idea.

Also, @Ashenwraith, if you have a chance, I highly recommend the making of documentary on the Evil Dead 2 Blu-Ray, it might shed some more light on Evil Dead 2 being a “sequel”-“remake”. Bruce doesn’t say Requel like he does in the above video, but there’s a few people that talk about it though.
Also, this interview might help, Especially the 3:20 mark:

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I do have to respectively disagree with the “THEIR franchise” comments. The question here lies, when does it stop being the filmmakers franchise and become the fan’s? I’ve seen this argument and ideology before. The way I see it, once the Genie is out of the bottle, it’s very hard to put him back in. i.e. It becomes everybody’s “figuratively” despite the fact that Sam, Bruce and Rob actually own it and can do whatever they want to do with it. Doesn’t mean I have to buy into it and say IT’s Evil Dead though. For me, it’s not. Would you call the games or comic books Evil Dead? It has the name on the product and Bruce does provide his voice though, but does it still fall under “IT’S Evil Dead”?. That’s why fans, such as ourselves, get so passionate with how we see it and how we think it should go. I agree this goes through all fandoms, though. Try telling that ideology to a Star Wars fan nowadays and I bet they’ll feel similarly the way I do.

I really like this comment. Bruce does try to keep a tight reign on stuff as to what ends up being 'official' canon or not (he likes to ignore the Dynamite run of the comic and the Poker Night 2 video game, for instance). In the end, there's only so much control they have because of rights issues.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I'm currently watching again the entire series...It's a bit weird to get back on the first episodes...

I have watched more than half of the season 1 for now. I still think that S1 fall short after the 3rd episode. All that Brujo psychedelic acid trip was technically not right. It should have been done differently....I mean, more occult, not hippies and 70'. Too much daylight episodes until Ash reach the cabin again... (I mean the restaurant episode should have been more efficient at evening with a Retro restaurant style. with neon signs)

Despite the dumb way Ash awaken the evil in episode 1, Sam Raimi still shows up his skill. Technically the suspense is there. (There's a lot of supsense in episode 1 compare to the rest of the series) It's very well done. a lots of camera and light tricks. (Focus, the torch light which turn around etc...) Sam know how to create atmosphere and prepare the viewer for the worst case scenario. Unfortunately, this is missing a lot on the series. This is also a proof that a 40 minutes episodes was the best fitting for the series.

Ok, so I just finished the rest of season 1.

I'll not really speak of the bunker episode because I still think it one of the worst episode. The romance between Ash and Angela escalated so quickly. Despite this is where they get all their weapon they could easily remove this episode and place the few necessary key elements elsewhere in the series.

The whole part in the cabin is still entertaining, not necessarily very good but enjoyable. I still think they did a great job recreating the cabin. It's good to see the cabin again but story wise it fall short and rush (The meeting between Ash and Evil Ash, The romance between Angela and Ash, The camping kids that have no purpose except to die an horrible way, just to name a few...) I still think the creepy kids don't belong in a ED world. The idea is ok but the execution is not right. The twist at the end of Ruby being a dark one is not even mind blowing. I still think they should have keep her character as a Knowby and a Demon hunter.

Anyway S1 is still an enjoyable ride, everything is "good" between episodes 1-3 then 8-10. The rest is "meh"

The main problem problem with the series is still the execution. Not enough suspense and real horror, not enough good comedy, weak plot, not enough a cinematographic feel, not enough epic, too much 90" sitcom and rock music.

They should have made a mini-serie of 5 episodes 1 hour each, removing all unnecessary episode and expending the good ones into one good story.

I'll watching season 2 again very soon....

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
The whole part in the cabin is still entertaining, not necessarily very good but enjoyable. I still think they did a great job recreating the cabin. It's good to see the cabin again but story wise it fall short and rush (The meeting between Ash and Evil Ash ...

They should have used Evil Ash as the big bad for season 2. Bruce was amazing in the role. The character also could have provided a better reason to move the story to Elk Grove. Evil Ash impersonating Good Ash and going after his family for example.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
They should have used Evil Ash as the big bad for season 2. Bruce was amazing in the role. The character also could have provided a better reason to move the story to Elk Grove. Evil Ash impersonating Good Ash and going after his family for example.

They could have even go further by adding more than just one Evil Ash. You add one more each season and you got the the 3 stooges. ;) Each one of them with their own personality. They create a new one each time because the previous one was damaged in a serious way,

Top Bottom