Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 General Discussion Thread

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Starz is starting to make some cancellation and renewal decisions now (they just cancelled Survivor's Remorse, which was getting above AvED's numbers last season), so: eyes peeled.

@Joe

It's weird to me that Candy is getting a proper burial when we have Brock (and Lee Majors) right there if we want to do a funeral.

@DYD
I totally didn't notice the parallel until you pointed it out, but now I can't unremember George trying to bring Brenda back to life when I see it

@Crow550, Yep, and that won't include their football plan (and is their commercial-inclusive tier, to warn people, I have no idea what that means for premium cable show), but it should include AvED.  I have no idea when the deal kicks in tho, Aved is listed as unavailable on their website for now.

Crow550

S-Mart Clerk
Yeah I'm questioning if the Starz deal is just for there show Power?

Details seem quiet and I couldn't find anything more....

Wait & see I suppose.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/GG-nKvDNtZ4[/video]

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
@Crow550, that's the million dollar question at the moment; I know I saw an article (I think I linked it earlier in the thread) that hinted all of Starz' original programming would be moving with it. I'm as confused as you are at this point!

Hurley

Spinach Chin
I was actually looking forward to this new trailer so that I'd have something to discuss with you guys after a while. But this… this just does nothing for me. I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I don't get any Evil Dead vibe from this at all. I haven't even finished the last season and I don't really see myself starting this one.

It's a shame. Not only because of the show, but also because how much I always enjoyed all the discussions with all of you here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You know the nightmares you have about going back to high school? They’re about to get a lot worse. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AshvsEvilDead?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AshvsEvilDead</a> returns 2/25 on <a href="https://twitter.com/STARZ?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@STARZ</a>. <a href="https://t.co/ofAn79zKbt">pic.twitter.com/ofAn79zKbt</a></p>&mdash; Ash vs Evil Dead (@AshvsEvilDead) <a href="https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead/status/925378827949285376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">31 October 2017</a></blockquote>

DyD

Spinach Chin
Here's the YouTube version of the teaser trailer:

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/1o9IlO01aEE[/video]

My reaction at the moment: :-/ 

Yeah, I wanna get my hopes up, but that didn't do much for me. The writing, one-liners, jokes, overall atmosphere and father/daughter plotline are still falling flat for me. And the daughter character is already annoying me. Also, did they just spoil the demise of the bear suit deadite - the creature that's at the center of all the marketing - on the TEASER TRAILER for the season? I suppose all of that will be on the first episode. Well, at least the practical effects and make-up on the creatures are looking good, so that's something. The cgi on the kid's face at the end, though... Yikes.

Also, there seems to be a
possessed Pablo
in a couple of snippets there. THAT bit was a good tease. The rest of it, not so much.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I will agree this teaser was lackluster and kinda fell flat in the overall pacing and editing of it compared to the last two teasers for the previous seasons, but. 

I did see a lot of promising stuff in there that i'm very happy to see finally getting addressed and tied off in this season. 

Pablo and Kelly finally happening 
[img=200x149]https://i1.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif[/img]
2. Pablo's brujo powers and a ritual looks to be taking place this season (YES and it looks pretty wicked as well!)

3. Ash actually getting some decent character development this season with his daughter and maybe we'll see a more 

4. Ash driving heavy equipment again ! (Nice to see he hasn't lost a step there) 

5. Ruby looks like she's going to be doing some crazy shit this season now that there letting lucy go apeshit with the character 

6. The deadites and everything else this season looks fucking amazing, and a lot more creative to say the least. 

Cannot wait to see deadite pablo in action, he already looks like his going to be a very intense foe

I'm pumped for it, i'm gonna wait for the final product before i judge it but i'm liking what i'm seeing so far, it's got a different feel to it compared to the last 2 seasons.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Sorry but the trailer shows they cut budget for this season.  It is a real lackluster and the special fx are not so great compare to S2.  I'm really not impressed at all.  We're far from the movies and far from the mythology.  Each time they said they go in one direction.  They just go in the opposite direction. 

The creepy kid at the end just look like those cheap exorcists movies from year 2000 that nobody remember. Full close up on a cheap morphing.  Wow!

The trailer begin with two girl erasing a dick on a locker.  Yeah I remember this reference from the 3 first movies, everything was about dicks and boobies.  "Sacrasm".

Possessed Pablo.  The fact that only main characters are able to get rid of Evil possession without being killed is now annoying me.  Why kill everyone if you can save them?  This is a non-sense.  I'm sure Pablo will be ok.

Don't take Evil dead too seriously kids! It just fun, gory & campy! This is what the trailer is all about.  The school theme doesn't help at all.

Still a wait & see, but this trailer do not justice to the movies and the two first seasons.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
I'm seriously cringing. I had a feeling hiring Mark Verheiden as the season 3 showrunner was a bad idea.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I had given them credit for not spoiling the holy hell out of everything like they had in the past, but the mascot thing was kind of a bummer. We don't know how things will turn out, and I doubt the mascot was going to be a big part going forward... but you never know. However, high school was kind of all about dick jokes and whatnot from what little I can remember of it. I just hope the kid(s) don't become the main focal point of the show going forward because what we need is more ass kicking Ash and company.

Toxic34

S-Mart Clerk
Well, I've learned to be cautiously optimistic about everything. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens, especially since it's clear that Ruby is clearly involved in Brandy's existence. I also am still a hope springs eternal type of figure concerning the Ash/Mia crossover. But I have come to appreciate what we do get, and it is clear that they said that if Starz doesn't renew, they will have at least wrapped up the narrative to leave nothing hanging. All we can do is wait.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Mixed to negative once again on my end.

* I liked the mascot costume and SFX.  Agree with everyone that 
showing Ash killing it is a super terrible move. Also the CGI on the headshot was super, super terribly obvious.

I absolutely don't buy that Ash would leave a daughter out there to run around when evil would have seen it as a target right from the beginning.  Yeah, I know that this version of him is reckless, but I didn't feel that development at all.  The daughter's presence isn't offensive to me yet but we'll see.

What's the purpose of Not!Dean Winchester here?  He does nothing in the trailer.  At least they bothered to establish Brandy.

* I thought of Joe when

The Pablo and Kelly kiss happened

But they really, really should have had more clear and obvious hints that he was
still crushing on her or she was interested in him after they completely dropped it last season.

ENOUGH WITH ASH REGROWING HIS HAND

I'd be more excited for 
Ruby's De-evolution into a super-monster if we hadn't already seen her like this in season one
.   Also I see that 
her quest for motherhood is a thing again.  But we already had that in the first two seasons; she already HAD her creepy kids and it didn't work out, so giving us a humanoid with a CGI face is nowhere near as interesting.  Is that all she's going to do as a character?  Spit out minions she can't control? SHE'S AN ALL-POWERFUL DEMONESS.

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
Wow, compare this to S1‘s trailer and even the S2 stuff. It is a real downfall. There is nothing EDish about it. Not a single thing.

I just finished S2 of StrangerThings. They are on the same gig. Celebrating the scare, fun and tone of the 80s classics. But they achieve it on a Level AvED can only dream of.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
If that is seriously the best possible trailer they could piece together, given the finished material they have, and the extra time they've had in the editing room, then I'll take this as an official announcement that there will be no season 4.

I mean, what was the point of all that drama with DiGregorio, and Tapert & co wanting to take the show in a new direction, when it (so far) looks no different than seasons 1 or 2? Untrustworthy Ruby, Pablonomicon, smart-ass Kelly being a smart-ass, Ash's hand, demon children, mid-90s cg effects, and someone talking about the "evil being back". Let's see something fresh and new! There are so many other places you could take these characters and this mythology, but they seem to keep coming back to the same themes and settings like they're in a creative rut. I wouldn't be surprised to see them find a way to revisit that cabin set, again. That thing is becoming this series' Death Star.

Yes, yes, I know there's the father/daughter plotline, but if it's all being framed with the same old dick and poop jokes then I won't really care.

If I'm wrong, then prove me wrong in your promo material, or at least release publicity stills that show something new and interesting? Otherwise, you can keep your cringy perv jokes set in some small, nondescript, mid-western town at night. As a longtime fan, I'm in danger of becoming bored. Hope I'm wrong.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
eViL DeAdiTe said:
If that is seriously the best possible trailer they could piece together, given the finished material they have, and the extra time they've had in the editing room, then I'll take this as an official announcement that there will be no season 4.

I mean, what was the point of all that drama with DiGregorio, and Tapert & co wanting to take the show in a new direction, when it (so far) looks no different than seasons 1 or 2? Untrustworthy Ruby, Pablonomicon, smart-ass Kelly being a smart-ass, Ash's hand, demon children, mid-90s cg effects, and someone talking about the "evil being back". Let's see something fresh and new! There are so many other places you could take these characters and this mythology, but they seem to keep coming back to the same themes and settings like they're in a creative rut. I wouldn't be surprised to see them find a way to revisit that cabin set, again. That thing is becoming this series' Death Star.

Yes, yes, I know there's the father/daughter plotline, but if it's all being framed with the same old dick and poop jokes then I won't really care.

If I'm wrong, then prove me wrong in your promo material, or at least release publicity stills that show something new and interesting? Otherwise, you can keep your cringy perv jokes set in some small, nondescript, mid-western town at night. As a longtime fan, I'm in danger of becoming bored. Hope I'm wrong.

And the worst part of it 
is that DiGregario's plotline was generally the same idea (Ash has a surprise daughter) and even though I abhor the idea of Kelly basically developing plot-based sue powers/only being awesome because of Ash's DNA, at least the story made sense from a mytharc position and as a continuance of the show's themes.  

The Ash-as-Dad plot COULD be the best part of the season if they write it well.  So far I buy his bearish protectiveness, but a lot is going to depend on how they write Brandy for me.

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
A general question: Now with two seasons passed and one ahead that seems to make the difference about the show being canceled or not, would you guys be interested in a thread discussion the question, what you did expect about the show when it was announced for the first time and what you have done differently (different story arcs, a different tone or a totally different concept)? Or would that be to soon?

In the past we discussed single seasons and episodes but not so much the show as whole and the potential it fulfilled or not fullfilled. I am very interested in hearing your opinions on these things.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Please do post that thread, I'd be glad to participate in it!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
New spoilers and still from TV Insider:

So apparently, Ash's hardware shop is also a sex toy shop.  

Y E P

tumblr_p05at4k53X1rqluyto1_540.jpg

Top Bottom