Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 General Discussion Thread

DocLathropBrown

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'm out. Let the series die.

DyD

Spinach Chin
I swear to God, if there's a joke in there relating his chainsaw hand to some kind of vibrator, I'm out for good. I shouldn't even be giving this crapfest another chance as it is, but I'm doing so on account of the new showrunner. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have changed at all and they seem to have just doubled down on everything that wasn't working. It looks like just more of the same. So much for righting the ship and taking a new creative path, huh?

DocLathropBrown

Loud Mouth Braggart
DyD said:
I swear to God, if there's a joke in there relating his chainsaw hand to some kind of vibrator, I'm out for good. I shouldn't even be giving this crapfest another chance as it is, but I'm doing so on account of the new showrunner. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have changed at all and they seem to have just doubled down on everything that wasn't working. It looks like just more of the same. So much about righting the ship and taking a new creative path, huh?

I'm not even going to bother--they clearly haven't learned anything.

I'll bootleg the season after the cancellation announcement.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
MaidOfKandar said:
New spoilers and still from TV Insider:

So apparently, Ash's hardware shop is also a sex toy shop.  

Y E P

tumblr_p05at4k53X1rqluyto1_540.jpg

Looks like they found a way to reuse vests from Value Stop.

Nothing beats a one stop shop for bait, guns, and sex toys. Maybe Ash will get one he can attach in place of his hand, or is that back permanently?!? 

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
MaidOfKandar said:
New spoilers and still from TV Insider:

So apparently, Ash's hardware shop is also a sex toy shop.  

Y E P

tumblr_p05at4k53X1rqluyto1_540.jpg

Looks like they found a way to reuse the vests Kelly and Pablo wore at Value Stop from season 1. 

Nothing beats a one stop shop for bait, guns, and sex toys. Maybe Ash will get one he can attach in place of his hand, or is that back permanently?!?

DocLathropBrown

Loud Mouth Braggart
Muzzlehatch said:
At this point, I just don't know what to say anymore ...

"Goodbye, Evil Dead."

DocLathropBrown

Loud Mouth Braggart
Nick el Ass said:
DocLathropBrown said:
Muzzlehatch said:

"Goodbye, Evil Dead."

You are willing to give up on all things Evil Dead over the tv show?!?

No, just that after the show dies the franchise will go back into obscurity and will never be seen again for anything new.

Elise41

Spinach Chin
Staff member
*rolls eyes* Man this sucks ass. Yep, this is the last season for sure.....I'll still watch it because I am against piracy but it's not going to get renewed for sure. Pretty short lived.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
DocLathropBrown said:
Nick el Ass said:
DocLathropBrown said:
Muzzlehatch said:

"Goodbye, Evil Dead."

No, just that after the show dies the franchise will go back into obscurity and will never be seen again for anything new.

Unfortunately, I expect the same thing to happens.  Also, I expect Bruce to put the blame more than ever on piracy and unfaithful fans if the show isn't renew.  He's already saying that so, it just gonna be more and more...

Bruce is a great actor but Evil Dead is Sam Raimi and this is what the show is lacking.  In fact, the show is lacking of Sam Raimi, Scott Spiegel and maybe Ivan Raimi.  They are the persons who should pen the whole story. and do supervision.  

Bruce and Rob are not good to take ia story in charge. They proved it in previous works and should avoid touching a scenario or bringing ideas.  The new show runner is only here to pleased their dumb requests.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
We'll still have the comics and video games (and I don't put it past Bruce to pop up in whatever thing Fede's going to end up making in the reboot continuity).  I won't never say never and also wouldn't be shocked if they try to Kickstart a fourth movie but yeah, this might be our last shot at ever having anything longform with Bruce in the lead and an Evil Dead label on it.  And it's a shame, and you know he's going to blame this on phantom illegal downloaders.  Which is hilarious, because people who care about the show the most are 35+ and more likely to buy physical media as well as watching traditionally through cable (which was why AvEd 1 did great DVD sales, but declined into mediocrity for season 2 once word of mouth got around).

I'm going to end up writing a piece in the future about how strangely conceived the entire show was.  I think a lot, like a LOT of what we're seeing right now boils down to creative conflicts.  Maybe if Sam had stayed on as a director there would've been more cohesiveness  I agree that either Ivan, Sam or Scotty had to have brought the human factor to the story, because that's where the show suffers the most.  It soars whenever it cuts closest to that bone, combines Ash's emotional scars with the Looney Tunes fucked-up ness of the Deadites; it falters when it doesn't bother to close character arcs,  You could say it did the same thing in ED1 and EDII, but the difference is we CARE about characters like Annie and Arthur and Scotty even if they aren't perfectly conceived or fleshed out or their arcs are awkward or stunted.  Season 2 of AvED built an entire episode around Lacey and then didn't even have the grace to have her turn Deadite onscreen; they built this big emotional backstory for Chet, only to kill him off with a cheap one-liner.  They built up this love story for Linda Bates and Ash, and will apparently be abandoning it fairly soon into season 3.  The character continuity for Kelly and Pablo have been either flat or flanderised.  Do not get me started on Ruby.  Like I am a huge Bruce fan, but considering Bruce's general playful contempt for writers and his need to adlib whenever he comes across a line he doesn't like perhaps he really did need an onset editor.  There have been absolutely no major one-liners coming out of this show that'll stand the test of time, and since a LOT of AOD's memorable stuff seems to have evolved from Sam and Bruce's on-set interplay the missing ingredient was indeed Sam.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the show and say it's done yet (what, me the optimist?) because anything can happen, but doubling down on its worst aspects isn't a good sign.

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
MaidOfKandar said:
Maybe if Sam had stayed on as a director there would've been more cohesiveness  I agree that either Ivan, Sam or Scotty had to have brought the human factor to the story, because that's where the show suffers the most.  

I agree. But there are also many comics and even some video games, which were not written by anyone from the old gang (as far as I know), but still achieve the same style and atmosphere I love about the movies.

For example in my opinion Ash from EVIL DEAD REGENERATION is way better written and closer to the movie character than the show's portrayal. The game had some sexual refrences and a comic relief sidekick but it was handled in a quite clever and balanced way. I don't get, why they could not pull of something like this for television.

Hurley

Spinach Chin
MaidOfKandar said:
We'll still have the comics and video games (and I don't put it past Bruce to pop up in whatever thing Fede's going to end up making in the reboot continuity).  I won't never say never and also wouldn't be shocked if they try to Kickstart a fourth movie but yeah, this might be our last shot at ever having anything longform with Bruce in the lead and an Evil Dead label on it.  And it's a shame, and you know he's going to blame this on phantom illegal downloaders.  Which is hilarious, because people who care about the show the most are 35+ and more likely to buy physical media as well as watching traditionally through cable (which was why AvEd 1 did great DVD sales, but declined into mediocrity for season 2 once word of mouth got around).

I'm going to end up writing a piece in the future about how strangely conceived the entire show was.  I think a lot, like a LOT of what we're seeing right now boils down to creative conflicts.  Maybe if Sam had stayed on as a director there would've been more cohesiveness  I agree that either Ivan, Sam or Scotty had to have brought the human factor to the story, because that's where the show suffers the most.  It soars whenever it cuts closest to that bone, combines Ash's emotional scars with the Looney Tunes fucked-up ness of the Deadites; it falters when it doesn't bother to close character arcs,  You could say it did the same thing in ED1 and EDII, but the difference is we CARE about characters like Annie and Arthur and Scotty even if they aren't perfectly conceived or fleshed out or their arcs are awkward or stunted.  Season 2 of AvED built an entire episode around Lacey and then didn't even have the grace to have her turn Deadite onscreen; they built this big emotional backstory for Chet, only to kill him off with a cheap one-liner.  They built up this love story for Linda Bates and Ash, and will apparently be abandoning it fairly soon into season 3.  The character continuity for Kelly and Pablo have been either flat or flanderised.  Do not get me started on Ruby.  Like I am a huge Bruce fan, but considering Bruce's general playful contempt for writers and his need to adlib whenever he comes across a line he doesn't like perhaps he really did need an onset editor.  There have been absolutely no major one-liners coming out of this show that'll stand the test of time, and since a LOT of AOD's memorable stuff seems to have evolved from Sam and Bruce's on-set interplay the missing ingredient was indeed Sam.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the show and say it's done yet (what, me the optimist?) because anything can happen, but doubling down on its worst aspects isn't a good sign.

Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, this is probably the larges fan site about Evil Dead. Someone could argue that www.bookofthedead.ws is up there, but that's not as well updated and they don't really concern themselves with the show.

Surely, the AvED production team has some intern or someone to check fan responses. And surely, someone like that at some point must have checked this site and this forum.

So my question is: are they aware of not only the criticism repeated over and over again not only here, but as I'm sure also on other sites? Criticism not only about the shortcomings of this show as an Evil Dead project, but as a quality TV drama in general? And do they even care?

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
Hurley said:
MaidOfKandar said:

If I'm not mistaken, this is probably the larges fan site about Evil Dead. Someone could argue that www.bookofthedead.ws is up there, but that's not as well updated and they don't really concern themselves with the show.

Surely, the AvED production team has some intern or someone to check fan responses. And surely, someone like that at some point must have checked this site and this forum.

So my question is: are they aware of not only the criticism repeated over and over again not only here, but as I'm sure also on other sites? Criticism not only about the shortcomings of this show as an Evil Dead project, but as a quality TV drama in general? And do they even care?

The same thought crossed my mind aswell.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Hurley said:

See what this horse is wearing?

800px-Horse_Blinkers_%25284240744343%2529.jpg

Ever since the show started they've been choosing to pay attention only to the positive reactions while ignoring everything else. When the first negative reactions and criticism started appearing, they kept bringing up the good reviews to "prove" that the show was good, even though those reviews were only for isolated episodes and not for the show as a whole. Now they're trying to pin the blame on a supposedly cheap and unfaithful fanbase and internet pirates for the faltering of the show instead of on the poor writing, lazy development and terrible characterization. It's almost childish behavior and it pisses me off. No, I don't think they care. My impression is that this show was always treated as just a product to sell, a cheap, low-effort cash-in on a recognizable brand. They were expecting the fanbase to come out in droves out of blind allegiance to the brand no matter what they put out. When their original plan backfired they had no backup plan, cause they never expected the quality of the show to actually matter. So onward they go with their original plan, despite the whole showrunner switch-a-roo shenanigans. And that's why it will ultimately fail. They're gonna ride that train to the abyss. Season one made me disappointed. Season two made me frustrated. I have a feeling season three will just make me angry.

The show only reaffirmed my belief that what makes Evil Dead special is Sam Raimi's direction, style and inventiveness. Without it, there's nothing special about it. At this point, I'd honestly rather see an Evil Dead film without Bruce as Ash but with Raimi behind the camera exerting full creative control than anything with Bruce as Ash but no Sam. But only if Sam's heart is in it. If it isn't, I'd honestly rather have nothing. I'll always have the original trilogy, anyway.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Sutter Cane said:
DocLathropBrown said:
Nick el Ass said:
DocLathropBrown said:
Muzzlehatch said:

"Goodbye, Evil Dead."

Unfortunately, I expect the same thing to happens.  Also, I expect Bruce to put the blame more than ever on piracy and unfaithful fans if the show isn't renew.  He's already saying that so, it just gonna be more and more...

Bruce is a great actor but Evil Dead is Sam Raimi and this is what the show is lacking.  In fact, the show is lacking of Sam Raimi, Scott Spiegel and maybe Ivan Raimi.  They are the persons who should pen the whole story. and do supervision.  

Bruce and Rob are not good to take ia story in charge. They proved it in previous works and should avoid touching a scenario or bringing ideas.  The new show runner is only here to pleased their dumb requests.

I agree that Sam, Ivan, and Scott are dearly missed... and even though it is good to give newbies (for lack of a better term) a shot it hasn't paid off the same way it did for the gang when they first put the original Evil Dead together. I also don't think Bruce is the problem, but Rob on the other hand likes to over see every aspect of whatever project he is working on. However, it gets to the point were if he sees something he doesn't like he will change it on the fly like he did with the season 2 finale. The new showrunner is in there to try and right the ship, but it may be too little too late. If season 4 were to happen I think it would be in Sam's best interest to step in to direct more than a few episodes, or bring in more seasoned vets to take over when he isn't able to be there so hopefully we can get a decent close to the show.

/Apparently Freddy is down with bringing back the boomstick. https://1428elm.com/2017/12/03/ash-vs-evil-dead-robert-englund-supports-bringbackboomstick/

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Hurley said:

Any show and/or movie series with a following such as Evil Dead has to be cognoscente of what their fans are talking about (if not they fail at their jobs). Now the question is does it make a difference which I'm not sure it does in most cases, or if it does we rarely hear about it. Of course, there have been a few exception(s) such as Game of Thrones reshooting stuff early on as well as Suicide Squad after getting negative reactions which made it an even bigger mess. It would be interesting to see if this fanbase has changed the course of AvED in any way over the last couple of years, or if the writers were set in their ways from the start.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
DyD said:
Hurley said:

See what this horse is wearing?

800px-Horse_Blinkers_%25284240744343%2529.jpg

Ever since the show started they've been choosing to pay attention only to the positive reactions while ignoring everything else. When the first negative reactions and criticism started appearing, they kept bringing up the good reviews to "prove" that the show was good, even though those reviews were only for isolated episodes and not for the show as a whole. Now they're trying to pin the blame on a supposedly cheap and unfaithful fanbase and internet pirates for the faltering of the show instead of on the poor writing, lazy development and terrible characterization. It's almost childish behavior and it pisses me off. No, I don't think they care. My impression is that this show was always treated as just a product to sell, a cheap, low-effort cash-in on a recognizable brand. They were expecting the fanbase to come out in droves out of blind allegiance to the brand no matter what they put out. When their original plan backfired they had no backup plan, cause they never expected the quality of the show to actually matter. So onward they go with their original plan, despite the whole showrunner switch-a-roo shenanigans. And that's why it will ultimately fail. They're gonna ride that train to the abyss. Season one made me disappointed. Season two made me frustrated. I have a feeling season three will just make me angry.

The show only reaffirmed my belief that what makes Evil Dead special is Sam Raimi's direction, style and inventiveness. Without it, there's nothing special about it. At this point, I'd honestly rather see an Evil Dead film without Bruce as Ash but with Raimi behind the camera exerting full creative control than anything with Bruce as Ash but no Sam. But only if Sam's heart is in it. If it isn't, I'd honestly rather have nothing. I'll always have the original trilogy, anyway.

This is exactly my thought on the matter.  

@Hurley  I'm sure everyone here would like to get someone from the production team here to read our comments and discuss with us about the series.  I don't have hope anymore since 2 seasons are already gone and nothing was done.  They don't even try, they just want to do their things.  This horse picture is the perfect representation of their creative process.  So my answer is :  "No man, nobody is reading us.  They don't care."

Top Bottom