Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 General Discussion Thread

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
NYC Comic Con panel has been released!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-LVeGCXCM[/video]

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
Comic Con panel was fun but man where is the damn trailer? Starz has been dragging their feet on all things Ash VS Evil Dead for a long time now. Will be super annoyed if a trailer doesn't get released this week. Feels like forever I've been waiting!

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Crow550 said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Crow550 said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Crow550 said:
Well it's entirely Starz fault. When Season 2 came around they offered a streaming only plan but it wasn't advertised that well. Signing up was another issue. Could you do it on the Starz website? No. (I think now you can.) Roku app? No. (Haven't checked recently to see if they finally updated the channel.)

At the time of Season 2 (I actually got a cheap cable deal with free Starz for Season 1) I could only sign up through the Android app and then login the Roku channel so no wonder most whom refused to get Cable and the addon package for Starz ended up pirating the show. Also didn't offer any type of Season pass on like Amazon, Vudu or Google Play at the time either....

What was advertised at the time is Starz being an addon to Amazon Prime & Sling TV though....

So they need to advertise the Starz streaming service better for Season 3 and consider offering a Season Pass option as well.... I mean DVD and digital sales do well....

Wasn't the amount of Seasons pitched for the show 4 or 5? Hopefully they decide to continue the show and let it wrap up to the original planned amount of seasons....

I also hope the Season 2 ender is some type of dream or trick by Ruby or they make sense of it somehow. Otherwise i've enjoyed the show warts and all and look forward to Season 3 even though I'll have to wait a few extra Months. :p

Yeah, they did a bad job making their cord cutting measures actually be cord cutting measures.  Apparently the Hulu deal is supposed to help with that.

I'm pretty sure none of the Starz shows have season passes except for Highlander?  Can anyone correct this?

It was five!

Uh oh then as many are complaining about Hulu's new UI design. I mean people threatening to cancel Hulu because of how difficult the new UI is.... Not good....

I hope they offer a Season pass for this.... Makes sense if the main viewership appears to be from Disc & digital sales....

They need to do a better job to advertise ways to view Season 3 and let people know.

This site should also do a News story that covers all the basis for viewing Season 3 as well.... I asked to do this to let people know when Season 2 dropped but was sadly ignored.

Hope for the best. We gotta let Starz know they need to improve ways that fans can watch & support the show.

Oof, that's too bad.  I was considering jumping from Netflix but I'm probably going to stick it out there.

I'm guessing they're not season passing most of them - I went googling and can't really find anything, not even for Outlander or Power.  It seems that you can only buy episodes individually, versus subscribing to just buy the series alone.  The digital numbers have been all over the place (they're not doing much in live fives and DVD sales are actually smaller for 2 vs 1) so you'd think they'd be more options to buy the show as it's airing.

I sense you weren't being ignored!  It's likely your email slipped through the cracks; Kain's told me he's super busy IRL.  Either way, I like your idea and I'm going to DM him to see if we can apply it to the site with credit to you once we get an actual S3 start date. 

The thing is that Starz makes it hard to actually offer options.  They launched the $9 cord cutter option just after AvED 2 launched last year, and for a lot of people it seems not to be worth it.  They have a tendency to (as far as I can tell) release the entire season after it airs to itunes/vudu/Amazon/Google Play/Youtube, which leaves the viewer to spoiler dodge, which can be annoying/tough on them.  I guess Hulu will have them same day or day after airing like most of their series.

I plan to jump on Hulu so I can catch up on Season 1 of Stan Against Evil. As well as some other shows & Movies then back to Netflix for Season 2 of Stranger Things.

Yeah must have slipped through the cracks. I decided to post it here as I have been a little annoyed with Starz as I want the show to do well. I used to post here years ago but stopped as well to be honest talking about just 3 Movies and a couple of video games can get a bit stale after awhile. No offence.

Maybe it's time to E-mail Starz and let them know we want a Season Pass option.... 

Starz streaming was decent last I recall as it offered a decent selection of Movies as well TV shows including their originals. The Hulu partnership sounds interesting. I recall when they had one with Netflix back in the day. 

Hopefully Season 3 does well and people legit support it this time around....

Er Cult Of Chucky got leaked before release and many went ahead and watched it (even some early YouTube reviews popped up).... Good thing Universal has a deal to stream on Netflix and such.

Yeah Starz needs to have ol Bruce do a goofy ad for Season 3 and have him explain the various legit ways to support and watch the show this time around.... Seriously.... I still have talked to some people who like Evil Dead but didn't know a TV show was on Starz or just thought they'd need Cable.... 

It would also help if Season 1 & 2 made it to like Netflix too....

Really if Season 3 can't improve viewership it's Starz not doing a good enough job to get with the times. 

That said the Season 3 teaser poster is nice. Yeah a very FNAF vibe but hey that's what the kids are into these days.... Look forward to seeing a Trailer / Teaser finally!

Really hope this new show runner is able to balance the tone better and really make season 3 the one to shine.

Stan against Evil is IMO a lot of what I wish Aved was.  Oh well!

If you ever have the desire, there's active talk (or could be!) about the ongoing comic book series!

Thank you for the link Kain!

Sadly, I'm not willing to trust IGN's review - they hosted the screening, so it's not as if they're going to be impartial.  

@Joe

There seems to be a lot of summing-up and culmination for all of the characters here.  Hmm.

Also I join DYD in groaning over the idea of Ash being spattered with jizz.  I think that's every single body fluid now.

And I agree with everyone that it's ridiculous that they didn't drop the trailer along with the airdate.  They may want to keep it fresh for when the series premieres but they could always cut together two of them.

Highlights from other articles that haven't been mentioned:

Brandy's mother is named Candy.  So yes.  Ash procreated with a woman named Candy Barr.

Bruce as to why no season 4: [font=worksans, Arial, Verdana,]“Those of you in the corporate world might understand when two corporations collide, it takes a while to figure things out. You see our bosses now have bosses, and the bosses are talking, having [/font][font=worksans, Arial, Verdana,]long[/font][font=worksans, Arial, Verdana,] and [/font][font=worksans, Arial, Verdana,]important[/font][font=worksans, Arial, Verdana,] discussions about, first of all, who gets shitcanned and who stays. So once they work their problems out, they’ll work our problems out. They’re going to move us to February, because they’re trying to get us out of a very nasty timeslot, which is the fall, so we think that’s going to help. It’s more time for you to get the app between now and February.”[/font] 

So it looks like a lot hinges on the time change improving their live fives.

Lawlessfan

S-Mart Clerk
I'm surprised as I thought Ash Vs Evil Dead was doing great with ratings and so forth.
So now season 4 might not happen?
What a shame!

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Well, There's a lot of speculations that IGN reviews are  bought and result of PR.  As Maid said, they hosted the panel.  It's in their interest to report that the first episode was great and not just average. 

Not sure about the school theme.  They said they will go deeper in the mythology and characters development, but show a Archie poster with blood.  Looks even more juvenile to my eyes with Kelly's "badass" middle finger.

In all the interviews I read, I don't think they will fix anything.  The more I read, the more it seem to be a continuation of S2 with all it flaws.  So we must forget the illusion theory of the last year final.  Bruce kinda confirm it  So I expect more Obibrock Kenobi apparitions.

Hope this will end as a trilogy.  I don't want this series to turn out as the comic books.  Ash in space, Ash fighting Nazis & the Ash meet the Planet of the Apes...You know what I mean.

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
Lawlessfan said:
I'm surprised as I thought Ash Vs Evil Dead was doing great with ratings and so forth.  
What a shame!

Most people refuse to pay for Starz and just pirate the episodes. I can't get a single friend of mine to support this show at all. Everyone wants FREE and because of that the ratings are really poor which has Bruce practically begging people to subscribe to the Starz app. He has also stated that if the show gets canceled, he will hang up his chainsaw for good. Season season 3 of Ash VS Evil Dead could very well be the last time we see this character in action.

Also it's looking like a season 3 trailer isn't going to be released anytime soon which is a real shame. :(

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Lawlessfan said:
What a shame!

It is strange because the second season was renewed shortly after the first episode aired, and now as they have said in a couple of interviews it will come down to fans tuning in... and letting Starz know how thy feel.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Most Starz shows get at least three seasons no matter how well they do.

Looks like we won't be getting a trailer today.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Lawlessfan said:
What a shame!

It's the fourth most popular series on Starz (out of the six regular series they have), and it never really seems to move digital or live five numbers.  The show started to die off around after the second episode of season 2 (head up the butt seemed to be a shark jump for a lot of people, IDK why because it's not the worst thing in the season by a long shot).  DVD sales for season 1 were amazing but season 2 tapered off much more quickly.

@Nick - I've always been suspicious that they renewed for season 3 on the strength of the Season 1 DVD sales, since it took a long time for it to happen.  Season 2's iffy dvd sales are probably factoring into why they didn't get an insta renewal for s4.

@Kain - Blunt Talk was a big exception to this (Two and done), and so was Boss and Crash (each got one season). Party Down was a huge cult hit for them that only eked out a season (they probably still regret cancelling that one). You're right that they tend to be super forgiving of ratings, or used to be; Da Vinci's demons did way worse than AvED in all aspects but still it managed to get three seasons.

It's interesting to me that Bruce is pushing the app/subscription end hard, versus buying the DVDs or watching it live. Everything either has to hinge on them proving they're bringing in subscribers or proving they can move cumulative hits.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Spoiler thanks to pictures from the New York Comic Con promotional set-up 

tumblr_oxk8x34uoY1sg4rj8o1_r1_1280.jpg

The school Brandy attends is Kenward County High School.

ETA: Bruce is supporting this fan-made Twitter campaign

DLq7Y5ZWkAEqqj4.jpg

Also Bruce just RT'd a change.org petition. In case you were wondering how dire the straits are, I'd call this 'none more dire'.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The petition is doing pretty well for itself, it's at two thousand signatures and working it's way to 3 thousand. 

Here's a very good interview with bruce done by geeks of doom, gonna post this part as it was the main highlight for me. 

Geeks of Doom: I want to ask you about this season. I have a daughter at home and I can’t imagine how it’s going to be when she gets older. For Ash, the consummate lothario, are there going to be some more emotional and poignant moments this season?

Bruce Campbell: Guaranteed, I have a daughter. And I had to do scenes that were very hard to get through emotionally. Because it’s just so easy to conjure up. [Arielle Carver-O’Neill] looks a little bit like my daughter, so we had some weird sh*t this season. You think you’re just going to do a scene, read the script, say the words, but then you start and it’s hard. You do a take and you take it for real. That’s what we do, that’s our job. Because you have to add depth to these characters. Ash is joker, but we want to add something and expand him a little bit. Then you stop and say, ‘Sh*t, he is an okay father!’ He does give a sh*t. And then when she’s put in mortal danger you unleash the father. Ruby (Lucy Lawless) is after her. And Ruby is in full bitch bad guy mode this season. Full-on f*ck you Ruby, she’s gotta go. I’ll just put it that way.

Source : https://www.geeksofdoom.com/2017/10/09/nycc-2017-int-ash-vs-evil-dead-campbell

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Alright folks, we got first footage here and i'm loving what i'm seeing. 

Source : https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead/status/917579388014624768

Hopefully this is a big sign of a trailer coming soon, i'll be back later for a full breakdown of these clips and i spotted some very interesting stuff in here. Stay tuned!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Petitions are usually the last refuge of the damned when it comes to entertainment.  Sadly networks don't take them into serious consideration when making choices, from what I've seen.  Numbers seem to matter more than anything: budget and viewership.

Non-spoiler comment from Bruce from the above as to who's returning to direct:

Bruce Campbell: We brought back the good ones. Mark Beasley who did a great crazy episode, episode 7 from season 2 with Ash in the asylum, he directed this first episode. Rick Jacobson who’s been with us the whole time as a director and now a producer, he does the last two big ones. 

Also Bruce confirms they cut the budget for season 3.

Teaser spoiler reactions:

Nothing super exciting or distinguishing in comparison to the last two seasons.  I see yet another abuse of an autopsy room fight, which is presumably how the jizz stuff happens.  Been there, show, been there.

Also all of the Deadites seem to have big ass pointy teeth.  At least the CGI on the toddler's better.

I'm guessing the corpse Ash is in the coffin with is Brandy's mom, since he comes to the funeral in a suit.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Alright breakdown time plus theorizing. *cracks fingers* 
*spoilers ahead*
Ok first screenshot, and i gotta say i love this shot to death, it's creepy and horrific. The question is, just who is this dead guy  :huh: 

[img=300x175]https://i.imgur.com/mg8MZzT.png[/img]

2nd shot, a hand coming out of the ground could possibly be this dude above, who that man is we will have to wait and see. 

[img=400x233]https://i.imgur.com/y9ZJsVm.jpg[/img]

3. I'm gonna guess this scene is about kelly giving brandy the low down on whats going on, that's basically all i can get out of this scene. Plus kelly has the dagger in this scene

[img=400x253]https://i.imgur.com/IHJeMrJ.jpg[/img]

4. So it looks like brandy's mother will be getting a proper funeral, a first for this franchise. As you can see here, the funeral isn't going to end well at all. (I find it quite touching ash dressed up for it and is actually there to mourn with his daughter.) 

[img=400x234]https://i.imgur.com/gHxDBN3.jpg[/img]

5. So we have ash looking over a document, he seems quite puzzled in this shot about what his looking at as if his uncovered something quite suspicious or his looking at playboy. you pick. 

[img=400x297]https://i.imgur.com/ubwClfQ.png[/img]

[img=400x275]https://i.imgur.com/Gd4dWFR.jpg[/img]

6. Now here's the real interesting shot, here we have ruby holding what i'm gonna guess is the child of her own creation, probably made from the book but isn't quite like her previous children we've seen before. (We'll come back to this at the end.)

[img=400x213]https://i.imgur.com/snN4KGi.jpg[/img]

7. Now i'm gonna take a guess and say this is pablo, kelly and dalton doing something out here in the middle of woods, and the evil force dosen't seem to like what there doing, i also find it very interesting that ash or brandy isn't here with them. Really goes to show how far these two have come since s1 !

[img=400x225]https://i.imgur.com/XjWBl9z.png[/img]

8. And now the grand finale, The demonic child that ruby has created seems to be revolting against her and ash in anger. Though i could be wrong and that's a completely different woman on ash's left, we'll have to wait and see on this one. (I also wanna point out the thing on ash's belt, it looks like we might be getting some new gear or gadget for ash in this season.) 

[img=400x180]https://i.imgur.com/EDGt0Lv.png[/img]

Alright, that's about it for that breakdown. Hopefully, we get a full trailer here soon if there willing to show this off.

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
I don't want to judge the tiny bits of real info and footage we have. Like Maid said, nothing new there.

I just hope they cut down this sumerian brotherhood stuff to a minimum. The Marvel Netflix univsere already got dull with all these century old cults fighting each other.

DyD

Spinach Chin
So from the looks of it, we're getting
a scene where Ash gets covered in jizz and a funeral scene that seems to be taken straight out of Scary Movie 3.

I swear I'm trying to find something to like and get excited about in the little they've shown us so far, but the more I see from this season the more it looks like they just doubled down on everything I hated about the past two seasons.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Please tell me you’re kidding about the jizz scene? Ugh.

Hey guys, remember all those jizz & shit gags that kept the fandom alive for all these decades? Me neither...

Crow550

S-Mart Clerk
Hulu is doing a $5.99 Promo good for a year. Promo ends January 9th: https://lifehacker.com/hulu-drops-prices-just-as-netflix-raises-theirs-1819314197/amp

Cheapest legal way to watch & support Ash VS. Evil Dead since Starz is did an agreement with Hulu.

I think it's with the normal Hulu plan and not an extra paid package?

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Super cheese:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpN8nrZkq_c[/video]

Top Bottom