Ash vs Evil Dead S03E10: The Mettle Of Man Discussion [SPOILERS] [SERIES FINALE]

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
And so it's come to this. Enjoy the series finale, folks!

SO:

Welcome to this week's (and the final) Ash vs Evil Dead episode discussion thread! Some additional ground rules to the basic ones on the forum for those who want to participate:

1: This and all future threads will be a choose to warn experience; IE you will not need to use spoiler bars to talk about things that happened in this and previous episodes.

2: It is, however, advisable to use spoiler bars if you want to talk about spoilers for an unaired episode.

3: Please be respectful of the opinions of your fellow Deadites; some people may not love the episode as much as you do; some may love it more. Discussion and debate are good things.

LAST WEEK'S THREAD:

Here!

SUMMARY:

The Ghostbeaters are put to the ultimate test to defeat a global demon infestation whose epicenter is Elk Grove; Ash, Pablo, Kelly and Brandy gear up for battle on last time to save the world.

TRAILER:

Clips:

1,2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

Gallery:

@FarFarAway Site

Episode was written and directed by our old friend Rick Jacobson, for the final time.

All news, spoilers, clips and reactions pertaining to the episode are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
God damn, bruce is going all out for this one. After so long, it's finally nice to see ash really breakdown under the pressure of being the chosen one, can't wait to see this whole scene play out !

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
God damn, bruce is going all out for this one. After so long, it's finally nice to see ash really breakdown under the pressure of being the chosen one, can't wait to see this whole scene play out !

That scene is almost kind of prophetic to how he’s been treating his role as Ash this week

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Episode is up on the app. Enjoy the finale everyone !

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
Personally I couldn't have asked for a better season finale. Epic in every single way and I teared up hardcore at Ash giving his good-byes. The setup for season 4 would have shaken up the series in a big way and would have been god damn epic but we will never get it. Still what a hell of a series finale and awesome ending!

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Loved it but no closure for the rest of the Ghostbeaters?? :( kind of disappointed

I'm gonna say the ghostbeaters are still alive and well considering what the robot tells him "i'll explain on the way" Plus if i know how this show uses foreshadowing, i'm willing to bet ash's speech to all three of them at the end would've came into play for that 4th season .

Plus, i get the strangest feeling pablo had something to do with the robot tech with the hand,the android guarding his tomb waiting for him to wake up, the geared up and updated delta waiting to be used. I mean who else would pimp the delta out that much and leave that whole set-up for one guy. Pablo, that's who.

I'm gonna say the Kelly became the leader of the knights as evidence of her scene with helping the solider and ash's speech to her. I'm gonna say that's what likely happened with her character (and probably continuing her relationship with pablo)

I'm not for sure about brandy, but i'm willing to bet she stuck around with kelly and pablo and has honed her skills as a deadite killer like her father.

There was a lot of implication with ash's speech to his team and what's implied just in that final scene.

God damn what a finale. If that's it, i'll be happy and content with it. I'm gonna re-watch it again and gather my thoughts fully but fucking hell did they go out with a bang.

Last edited:

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'm gonna say the ghostbeaters are still alive and well considering what the robot tells him "i'll explain on the way" Plus if i know how this show uses foreshadowing, i'm willing to bet ash's speech to all three of them at the end would've came into play for that 4th season .

Plus, i get the strangest feeling pablo had something to do with the robot tech with the hand and the hot badass android itself plus the geared up and updated delta just so happening to be there as well, who else would pimp the delta out that much and leave that whole set-up for one guy. Pablo, that's who.

I'm gonna say the Kelly became the leader of the knights as evidence of her scene with helping the solider and ash's speech to her. I'm gonna say that's what likely happened if my foreshadowing with the show is correct.

I'm not for sure about brandy, but i'm willing to bet she stuck around with kelly and pablo and has honed her skills as a deadite killer like her father.

There was a lot of implication with that ash's speech to his team and what's implied just in that final scene.

God damn what a finale. If that's it, i'll be happy and content with it. I'm gonna re-watch it again and gather my thoughts fully but fucking hell did they go out with a bang.

I agree with all of your thoughts. Also that season finale and this season and general really makes me wish we were getting that season four now. Would have been a hell of a ride (pun intended).

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Yeah to fully follow that up and elaborate more on it.

The implications that played out during that final scene and ash's speech to them before they left probably would've been foreshadowing/hint to where they were at in s4.

1. All the robot tech and ash's prosthetic robot hand, the pimped out/upgraded delta had to have been all pablo's doing. Who else would leave all that behind for the sleeping beauty and the hot robot chick to greet him as well. Pablo

2. Ash's speech to kelly i'm going to say implies she would've became the leader of the knights to train them and teach them to be better experienced and equipped at fighting evil.

3. I'm gonna say brandy sticks around with pablo and kelly honing her deadite killing skills like her father. And probably still has the necklace he gave her after all that time wondering if she'll ever see him again.

Last edited:

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'm speechless for now mainly because it is 3 am here, but I could not wait to watch the finale.... and I may very well watch it a few more times before it goes live on the morrow.

Yes, speechless is the word indeed.

Crow550

S-Mart Clerk
*Ahem*

THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT!

Holly shit did this deliver!

Er man I hope Netflix or Shudder or some network picks up a Season 4. Or a Movie or something....

However if not at least it went out awesometacular!

I'm satisfied but I'd be down for more.

Man this episode was so badass.... Just badass. Fuckin A. A+ that is. ;)

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I just wanna point out a very big easter egg.

In the sewer chase sequence, you can faintly hear ed1 linda's laughter in some parts. Listen closely, it's there.

waifugenerator

S-Mart Clerk
Brandy has really come into her own by the end of this episode, I wouldn't b mad if she inherits Ash's legacy in the next Evil Dead entry if we get one

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I know I told that I won't comment anymore on the episodes.....BUT....I must admit the final was great! Since it's the last episode "ever" (For the moment) I'll give at least a quick thought. The last two episodes are really what the show should have been about all the time. This is The Evil Dead. The blend of horror/comedy/drama was great. If they continue the story. They really need to keep that tone and never come back to that "Family Guy/Homer Simpson/American Pie/Scooby Doo" kind of show.

Yes I'll do a little bit of neat picking here. ;) 1) I expected an Ash more surprised at the end. He was not surprised at all. I mean you're in a apocalyptic future. I expected a little bit of "WTF!?" from him. About Kelly. They kind of wrap the things up with her. I was not perfect, but she learn something at the end and that's ok. You cannot be someone you're not. But In my book she still a weak character that always needs help at the end. It's been the case in season 1, 2 and 3. She's bad ass but failed all the time and bring more trouble along the way. . The only things that could happen is, that she finally learn from her last mistake. This is probably why Ash granted here as "a leader". But this is pure supposition. We will probably never know.

I liked the end. They wrap it up nicely with that Deep Purple song "Space Truckin" from the beginning. That's make a lot of sense. We can guess that nobody dies and That women bring Ash back to Brandy, Kelly and Pablo whch are probably survivor in this waste land. The final gave me goosebump.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
The sewer scene starting off with Ash giving Brandy the necklace was more emotional than I thought it would be after watching the preview while we get to see her fight by hacking off limbs before stabbing one guy in the nuts. None the less, I think the most amusing part was Kelly and her "Fuck me, I look like Keith Richards" comment followed by Ash and Brandy with the filthy and not fine comment before high fiving each other. It was in that the moment when I came to fully appreciate just how much Ash and Brandy have become alike in such a short period of time. We can only hope that Kelly and Pablo have the same longevity of Keith Richards without the love of junk.

/Rick Jacobson was one of the best all around directors for AvED.
//More later.

ChemaVillalba

S-Mart Clerk
Hi all!

So... that's it.
That's it?
Looks like it.

Been reading you from the space between the spaces and pretty much agree on the general views on the show. I have been, in fact, so deeply dissapointed with the season 2 finale that I actually left the show for dead. I truly enjoyed some S2 episodes though; the artistic direction was superb (the possessed car episode was actually excellent imo) but the season finale script, the way they handled the mythology, and the aberrant plot holes were so insulting (showing no love at all to the material)... When the show came back this year I started watching it by pure sheer loyalty of the original material but lacking any hope. The turn of events was a delightful surprise. The last season managed, if only too late, to get on the right way. Yep. I can accept Ash has become an asshole clown because of the traumatic experiences, but the real one we saw on ED2 is still there, somewhere, inside.

I found the words Brandy told to Ash, and the words Ash told to Brandy, as words I myself as a fan was saying to Ash, and he was saying back to me. In a way, Brandy was all of us. And I was really fucking moved by that reason. Damn, Bruce Campbell, you bastard, how much I fucking love you.

I was so happy that the final form of the Devil, one we come to actually SEE, finally! Is one with HORNS. If you saw my shortfilms about the origin of the Evil Dead mythology, you will understand my joy. I admit it was something too obvious, horning the ultimate Demon chief, but they could have perfectly chose to design a demon with no horns, Rotten Apple Head or Eligos' style. But now the main ultimate Demon being canonically Horned, my films follow the canon as intented.

My complains are the name they give to the, until now, unnamed Demon. Now he is KANDAR. When Kandar was till now just the name of the medieval Castle the Knowby had found the necronomicon. And england Castle from 1300. A (we assume) christian castle which was somehow infected by the deadites and had to fight against the invasion (as we saw on AoD). But now... the name of the castle is the name of the Demon who is like thousands of years older than the castle... Wtf. The only explanation is that the builders/owners of the castle were originally servers of the Demon; maybe descendants/followers of the Dark Ones. And that the later owners (Arthur and his people) weren't the original owners (maybe Arthur's ancestors won the castle after a battle or sumthin). Maybe the Necronomicon and the dagger were kept hidden in some place of the dungeons until Arthur's wiseman found it somehow during an exploration and hell broke loose on the land.
Whatever.
This is just another case of making the mythology up as they go, reason why there are so many plot holes, contradictions and nonsenses with the timeline; the canon is a practical pain-in-the-ass problem for those who care because of the lack of true deep coherence. They needed a bible, but Raimi never wrote one. That's why they made things up as they went.

But well. We all learn how to go beyond that; but ONLY IF there's a reward. This last season was fine, and the finale was heartful.
You could say the actors were putting their hearts on this goodbye. Specially our old bastard. But all the rest of the crew too. Maybe that's what was needed to have a quality show? The sense that nothing lasts forever, and the consciousness of giving your best because it can be the last time? That transpires to the fiction.
Maybe the problem with the show was after the good feedback with season 1, they relaxed too much. Maybe they needed reality to bitchslap them, to wake the fuck up.

Sad this is the end. The finale is very good. I can accept it. Though it opens for a new storyline sequel, it could perfectly end that way.
Honestly I was kinda sure Ash was about to DIE on the episode. Closing his storyline forever this way. An epic death for an epic hero.
Yet they didn't. Well. I don't know if I prefer it this way. I would have cried like a 3 girl. But I would have remembered his death like forever, like absolutely forever.

You can always interprete the ending as Ash being actually dead and that "future" just being his Paradise, his reward for his life battle. Like a Walhalla for a warrior, where he can continue fighting forever, but with him being king, surrounded by robot hotties, and awesome cars to drive.

Though I know that is not what the show wants to suggest. No, it looks like they really meant it. Literally. Like a teaser for a new hypothethic season... or movie... or canonic comic-book. Or just imagination for the fans.
This mad-max future on the canonic timeline had been hinted though, in several ways, in the past. First on the director's cut finale of AoD. Then on the Dynamite regular comic series.
Don't know what the intention for the character's fate is there. The season finale give ZERO hints there. We can only speculate. And express what we would like. But the ending is SO open, let's be honest, in order to say whatever they need to say on an hypothethic sequel (whatever the form) if that actually comes to become real. If they aren't able to have Kelly or Pablo or Brandy again, they will come up with them being dead and that's it.
So imo, the best way is to leave things as they are. This is the end. Beautiful friend. We know Ash keeps rocking and will always be on his own personal Walhalla. Thanks for that, Ash vs Evil Dead. Really. Thank you.

End of the love letter.

Top Bottom