Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Thanks! i saw the section before but it looks like it didnt show the comic reading order. the thing that i am asking for is the reading order to follow a timeline when i read the comics

Regards

Each series has it's own continuity, with very few exceptions. Most crossover series and one-shots are also in their own 'universe'. I recently updated my Evil Dead timeline and I included all the comics, and in which 'order' to read them:

dd8uj0y-e70a742f-bcc2-473a-be9b-43f6c7d822ac.jpg

For the series 1 and 2, you can buy/ read the 3 AOD omnibus along with the AOD/Marvel Zombies crossover.

Is any of you started reading the new series? Is it any good? I'm a trade paperback collector, but I might buy #1 of this one because I'm too curious!

Oh and Dynamite is releasing an Army of Darkness/Xena omnibus, collecting the 3 series!

Last edited:

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Thanks! I need to add that "Ash the Author" digital one-shot, that I completely missed and is not available anymore... :( Anyway, I'll update the 'timeline' this week end!

Elise41

Spinach Chin
Staff member
Dang. That's amazing work. I love Evil Dead: Regeneration's spot in the timeline the most. Always liked the idea of it.

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Great covers! I hope the story is any good... I went to my local comic shop yesterday and pre-ordered to whole series. Issues #1 is already out but they'll find me a copy. Will also buy the TPB since I collect them but I figured that it would be nice to have the single issues too. The only ones I have are the original 3 of the movie adaptation and most of the AOD one shots.

Oh yeah, and since the Evil Space Goat company is long dead after having ripped off fans, (and that their Kickstarter Evil Dead 2 comics omnibus will never be released), I decided to buy the 5 TPBs and the X-Mas one shot. At least I have a physical copy of these now.

FriDLaCk

S-Mart Clerk
Each series has it's own continuity, with very few exceptions. Most crossover series and one-shots are also in their own 'universe'. I recently updated my Evil Dead timeline and I included all the comics, and in which 'order' to read them:

dd8uj0y-e70a742f-bcc2-473a-be9b-43f6c7d822ac.jpg

For the series 1 and 2, you can buy/ read the 3 AOD omnibus along with the AOD/Marvel Zombies crossover.

Is any of you started reading the new series? Is it any good? I'm a trade paperback collector, but I might buy #1 of this one because I'm too curious!

Oh and Dynamite is releasing an Army of Darkness/Xena omnibus, collecting the 3 series!

Thanks so much for this amazing job, really helpful! I bought omnibus 1 and 2 last weekend and I will start with this! Thanks!

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Update: I slightly revised it. I added Reanimator #0 (2005), which is a prequel to Ash vs Reanimator (2005-2006), and then separated the continuity with Ash and the Reanimator in its own "timeline". The comic series "Reanimator" (2015) doesn't feature Ash, but they mention him in the recap, and it's supposed to be the events set after all the previous stories, so I left it there:

dd8uj0y-dd0b7de7-e148-453f-a089-3555da79e003.jpg

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
This is so good, Morsooth!

I've read the first issue and so far it's not bad - nice art, decent Ash characterization. The big "gimmick" of the series hasn't kicked in yet, though, so I'm reserving judgement.

FriDLaCk

S-Mart Clerk
Update: I slightly revised it. I added Reanimator #0 (2005), which is a prequel to Ash vs Reanimator (2005-2006), and then separated the continuity with Ash and the Reanimator in its own "timeline". The comic series "Reanimator" (2015) doesn't feature Ash, but they mention him in the recap, and it's supposed to be the events set after all the previous stories, so I left it there:

dd8uj0y-dd0b7de7-e148-453f-a089-3555da79e003.jpg
Thanks for the update! but i miss the death of ash after the classic monster. And woul be great if you can include the number of comics on each serie :)

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Thanks for the update! but it miss the death of ash after the classic monster. And would be great if you can include the number of comics on each serie :)

The Death of Ash #12-13 is included in AOD: Ash vs the Classic Monsters. Maybe I should indicate that the timeline only list the trade paperbacks (TPB) and not the single issues (unless it's a one-shot). Listing them all would be a huge task... Just as an example, AOD: League of Light Assemble contains Montezuma's Revenge #18, Water, Water, Everywhere... #19, Ashley J. Williams Goes to Europe #20-21, and Ash and the League of Light #22-27. Wikipedia is pretty good with the listings, they only miss the new series, but all the older stuff is there.

The easiest way to collect them now (and the cheapest) would be to start with the three Omnibus, they collects all the Series 1 and 2 (but they omit Marvel's Zombie/AOD).

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Oh yeah! I now own *all* the AOD crossovers comics TPB (minus the 2x Freddy vs Jason vs Ash (they are way too expensive... waiting for a better deal or a reprint), and I'm also waiting for the AOD/Xena Omnibus to be released later this year. I have read them all and -- seriously -- they are far from being bad! Darkman was awesome, I loved Hack/Slash the most, and Kiss, Bubba Ho-Tep and Danger Girl was way better than I had expected it! I'm glad I succumbed to the temptation, I enjoyed them more than some of the regular AOD series.

I also ordered all the back issues of Death to the AOD at my local comic store, but with that evil COVID-19 crisis going on, I'm not sure I'll ever get them. I'll for sure get the TPB anyway.

Stay stafe!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Just read the second issue and

If Ash falls in love with his own feminine side I'm going to be so amused.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
CBR just posted an interesting deep dive into the creation of the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comics.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I'm missing just the first arc of the story - I'm lucky enough to have the second arc in GN format! It's a great piece of work.

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Comic Book Updates!

New released date for Death to the Army of Darkness: April 21, 2021.

51Q20vWrRYL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

New release date for the Army of Darkness / Xena Omnibus: May 4, 2021.

61bVnAvfshL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

New comic series from Dynamite, featuring Ash!

DienamiteLives-01-A-Parrillo.jpg

Dynamite published the limited series and cross-over event, Die!namite, in 2020-2021. The sequel limited series, Die!namite Lives! will now feature Ash! Check the links below for more information and see the variant covers for issue #1!

Source: https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/pressrelshow.html?display=8668e03a-e98b-eb11-80c4-b083fed06a4f

Top Bottom