Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I could smell a fourth reboot coming but good God this is as generic as they come.

At least having it sell at half price should do something to goose it up.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
So out of curiosity i decided to finally check out what happens after the AOD/Marvel crossover and good lord what a mess, no wonder i stopped after that.

After that, i finally decided to sit down and read Ash and The army of darkness plus the hitched arc, and i must say it was quite the palette cleanser to say the least :D  !   The hitched arc was by far my favorite out of the two,  the main big reason was the main interactions/teamup between ash, the wise man and sheila. It really reminded me of that group dynamic they have going on with kelly and pablo on the show right now,  overall it was a really good ride from start to finish with great dialogue and good pacing as well , check it out when you can !

I then capped it off with the remake/adaptation of TED that mark the new showrunner wrote, and i have to say i enjoyed it very much, instead of just going full blown and just adapting the first film word for word  they decided to thrown in some of there own ideas and twist the story a bit which i commend the effort there, some ideas were interesting and it was a decent attempt but some ideas fell flat and the ending was a bit lackluster and lazy, i can see where mark was coming from when trying to connect ed1 and ed2 together but it just didn't deliver sadly. The art style in this comic was creepy and just downright unsettling at times and it really fit well for the tone and style of ED1 perfectly , for anyone wondering the art was done by the same guy who did the art for the 1992 Adaptation for AOD. Overall it was great for what it was, some ideas worked while the others fell flat but i commend the effort for trying to do something different with it even if it fell short in some places.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
:D I love it when Ash and the AOD/Ash Gets Hitched wins new fans  :heart:  Best damn arc they ever did.

Yeah, everything after the Marvel crossover was pretty awful.  I'm specifically thinking of the awful art but man there were some bad ideas.

I'm still iffy on that retelling of ED; besides the ending they decided to give us psychological reasons for each character's behavior as a Deadite, and I hate what it did to the Ash/Linda relationship.

Also, we have more covers for AOD 0, including a throwback cover that celebrates the first arc!

ASHvsAOD00CovIncen10SneakBr.jpg

ASHvsAOD00CovIncen20SneakVa.jpg

ASHvsAOD00CovIncen30SneakQu.jpg

ASHvsAOD00CovIncen50Flashba.jpg

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Cover Art plus variants of the first issue of the new arc, due in July!  A lot of these are slightly different versions from Issue 0.

ASHvsAOD01CovAKirkham.jpg

ASHvsAOD01CovCQualano.jpg

ASHvsAOD01CovBBrown.jpg

ASHvsAOD01CovDVargas.jpg

ASHvsAOD01CovHIncen40Qualan.jpg

ASHvsAOD01CovHaeserRemarkMO.jpg

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
And here are the covers for Issue #2 of the Dynamite arc, with a blurb:

“Attention, everyone. Detention has been cancelled due to severe Deadite activity in the chemistry lab. Thank you and have a good day.” Ash goes undercover as a substitute teacher to find out who is messing with Necronomicon and the only thing harder than ridding the earth of an evil, undead scourge is figuring out who the cool kids are!

So I'm guessing our theme for this arc is 'Ash does a bunch of odd jobs while killing Deadites.'

Covers by Brent Schoonover, Mauro Vargas, and Pasquale Qualano

tumblr_oqnfm6htw51qijmm1o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqnfm6htw51qijmm1o2_540.jpg

tumblr_oqnfm6htw51qijmm1o3_540.jpg

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I love that one, too!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Covers For Issue #3!  [font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]By Brent Schoonover, [/font][font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]Mauro Vargas and[/font][font=Ubuntu, sans-serif] Pasquale Qualano:[/font]

[font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]Blurb: [size=medium][font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]With the Chosen One and his students trapped inside of a possessed school out to kill them, they may need a little help from some unknown allies. It looks like it’s time for Ash to get S.M.A.R.T.![/font][/font][/size]

[font=Ubuntu, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]
ASHvsAOD03CovASchoonover.jpg
[/font]
[/font][/size]

ASHvsAOD03CovBVargas.jpg
[/font]
[/font][/size]

ASHvsAOD03CovCQualano.jpg
[/font]
[/font][/size]

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
About the last cover...Am I the only one to see the X-men from the 90 TV series? Gambit, Rogue and the Beast behind Ash. Wolverine in fornt. The last one could be Jubilee or Jean Grey.

UPDATE : I knew It! Check the link below. ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HnKeBEZQ9GQ/U3OJLd9ebxI/AAAAAAAAGsQ/2z2ZDfXO-zE/s1600/14+Blue+Team.png

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
It is indeed! :D They've been doing lots of different cover refs to other media this time out.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
MaidOfKandar said:
It is indeed! :D  They've been doing lots of different cover refs to other media this time out.

Ok now I want to see an Escape from New York 1997 Ref.  I think it should be a great one. ;)

The Breakfeast Club is also a cool one, Even if Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 already did it.  ;)

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
If they ever do an Escape cover, I'll be sure to point it out!

And here are preview pages for the first issue!

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I never thought about the Texas pt 2 poster's similarity with the Breakfast Club poster before .. haha !

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Covers for issue four of Ash vs The Army of Darkness, again by Brent Schoonover, Mauro Vargas and Pasquale Qualano.

Blurb: How well can things actually be going when the good guys have modeled their team after the teachings of Ash Williams and the bad guys are a bunch of deadites trying to keep you from graduating...and breathing? Yikes.

ASHvsAOD04CovASchoonover.jpg

ASHvsAOD04CovBVargas.jpg

ASHvsAOD04CovCQualano.jpg

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Issue 5 Covers and Blurb!  Cover art is once again by Brent Schoonover, Mauro Vargas and Pasquale Qualano.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Let's evaluate, class: pages from the Necronomicon have gone missing and Deadites are making a mess of a high school (yikes), so then Ash Williams became a substitute (uhhh...), and an army of anti-Deadite warriors showed up having followed the tradition of Ash's exploits in medieval times (S.M.A.R.T...?). Conclusion: We're boned.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]
ASHvsAOD0505011ASchoonover.jpg
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]
ASHvsAOD0505021BVargas.jpg
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]
ASHvsAOD0505031CQualano.jpg
[/font]

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Bumping this to say that the new Dynamite series is pretty good! The school setting is fun, and the paramilitary idea is an interesting one, and Ash is the right combination of super-competent on the battlefield, cranky, and protective of the kids.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
For those wondering where they could possibly go with the continuity next, the answer apparently is "Kiss Crossover", starting in February: 

[font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]KISS is on top of the world and rocking faces until the night disciples of The Destroyer show up and the band disappears. With the tour canceled, a young Ash misses one of the most important events of his life that will change his destiny.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]Now the Chosen One has to get back on the right path and join the KISS ARMY OF DARKNESS![/font]

[font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]Covers by Kyle Strahm, Goni Montes, and Ken Haeser.  A certain number of retailer exclusives of the Montes edition will be signed by Gene Simmons.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu, sans-serif]
tumblr_ozu2r9f5ys1thr7ppo3_500.jpg
[/font]

tumblr_ozu2r9f5ys1thr7ppo2_250.jpg
[/font]

tumblr_ozu2r9f5ys1thr7ppo1_1280.jpg
[/font]

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I never read the comics, but now that they have added Kiss to the mix I never will. I can't stand the band because Gene Simmons is a douchebag.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
@Nick - don't worry, as this doesn't actually mar the main continuity; it's sort of an AU story within the universe, so you can pick up any of the other arcs and proceed to read it!

Top Bottom