Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

MCT28

S-Mart Clerk
Also, I'd be really surprised if Jenny's line about wanting to "play house" isn't a nod to the Evil Dead II commentary, and considering Fleecs did his homework by throwing in that line from the AOD Television Cut in the first issue, I'm going to make a safe bet that it is.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Yeah, this issue moved this comic from mildly disappointing to actively terrible.

They seem to have realized they have to pick one of the timelines to be the focus of each issue, so most of this issue is set in the post-apoc timeline, but then they still make the offensively bad and creatively bankrupt choice
to have the entire quest for the missing pages and a whole trip to a different continent happen off-screen and being jokingly hand-waved just so they can GO BACK TO THE FUCKIN' CABIN AGAIN. And for what? Why, to get a completely irrelevant throwaway cameo from Ash's severed hand, of course!

The little we see of the 1993 timeline isn't any better. So
the empty reference mini-Ashes murder Jenny right behind Ash's back and he doesn't even turn away from the computer while it's happening? And apparently he still doesn't give the slightest shit about it even after the cops show up? That's either shitty characterization or rushed, confusing storytelling. Maybe both.

And I still have a feeling everything I found potentially interesting in the medieval timeline is gonna get brushed off instead of properly explored.

I'm still gonna skim #6, since that would be the original end to this run and the current halfway point, but I'm pretty positve I'll be dropping the whole thing after that.

Last edited:

MCT28

S-Mart Clerk
They seem to have realized they have to pick one of the timelines to be the focus of each issue, so most of this issue is set in the post-apoc timeline, but then they still make the offensively bad and creatively bankrupt choice
to have the entire quest for the missing pages and a whole trip to a different continent happening off-screen and being jokingly hand-waved just so they can GO BACK TO THE FUCKIN' CABIN AGAIN? And for what? Why, to get a completely irrelevant throwaway cameo from Ash's severed hand, of course!
I want to also point out that when Ash gets there,
the cabin and the woods are smoking.
Was there a wildfire a few hours before he got there, or has this place been smoking for an entire century?

As for 1993, I figured
Evil Ash would try to make Jenny his "queen" in this time period since Sheila got away, but no, he's still obsessing over her when we get to the 1300 AD segment.

Also the series was intended to be 12 issues from the get-go. Fleecs said that before the first issue released, and Dynamite just held back on that just to generate hype after the first issue came out.

Reactions: DyD

DyD

Spinach Chin
Was there a wildfire a few hours before he got there, or has this place been smoking for an entire century?

I was also confused about that, but then I read it again and figured
the battle they were having while the narration was telling us about their journey across the ocean was actually at the cabin site. They were already there and the place was smoking from the deadite-tank-thing exploding. Just another example of the storytelling getting confusing for being so rushed I was talking about.

Also the series was intended to be 12 issues from the get-go. Fleecs said that before the first issue released, and Dynamite just held back on that just to generate hype after the first issue came out.

Well, that does make a lot more sense, cause based on what we got on these first 5 issues I really don't see how they could've reached a conclusion in only 6.

Last edited:

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Army of Darkness Forever #8 covers are out!

pw5uX4i.jpg

uNbPH2C.jpg

zTzpZna.jpg

gvlai0N.jpg

Last edited:

MCT28

S-Mart Clerk
I was sick these past few weeks and totally forgot AOD Forever #6 came out this week. Just picked it up and noticed a few things:
* The cover (at least the "A" cover I got) seems to be a bit thicker than the previous issues, like on higher-quality paper.
* Price increase. Previous issues were $3.99, while this one was $4.99. Maybe the change in cover has something to do with it (because it certainly didn't feel like a bigger issue)

Anyway, onto the story itself:
* The 1300 AD section had it's moments. Like I said about the last one, Deadites taking over the castle isn't anything new, but I did like that call-back to the Ash and The Army of Darkness series
by having the Deadite horse talk
. It also satisfied my curiosity on
what would happen if someone tried to wake the sleeping Ash in the cave.
* 1993 and 2093 aren't anything to write home about, either.
Overall, pretty "meh" issue, but it wasn't terrible.

Reactions: DyD

DyD

Spinach Chin
I checked #6 expecting to find it terrible, but I'm actually much more positive on this issue than I was on the previous few. The medieval storyline with Sheila is finally moving forward and I mostly enjoyed what they did with it. I like what seems to be Sheila's character arc, I loved the scene where
she tries to wake up Ash
and they're also finally dealing with the Duke Henry stuff I was so interested in, even if they're still not digging into it as much as I'd like and I fear it will end up just a rehash of AoD.

The gratuitous referencing of the movies is still distracting and mucking up the works (the boomstick stuff did not work at all and left me cringing), but the main problem remains the ridiculously rushed storytelling. Sometimes it feels like the comic is running on a rough outline rather than a properly developed script, just jumping from plot point to plot point in the most inconsequential manner. I continue thinking each of the three stories would work much better as their own separate narrative rather than this interconnected timelines nonsense. Speaking of which, we finally see how two of the timelines are actually connected in a narrative sense, and to my surprise, I didn't hate it. The alternating between the timelines seems more fluid and the twist with the completed Necronomicon in the post-apoc timeline actually worked for me and I loved the totally out-of-nowhere weirdness of
the book turning into the demon baby creature thing once completed.

Even the 1993 timeline had some interesting stuff happening this issue, as I really wasn't expecting
regular Ash himself to turn into Bad Ash, actually leaving that timeline without a "hero" Ash. Bad Ash is the only Ash in 1993 now, and that's very interesting to me. That even makes me reconsider some of my criticisms of Ash's characterization last issue, as that stuff makes a lot more sense if you take it as part of Ash's transformation into Bad Ash.

I was all ready to drop this series, but I think I might still check out #7. Even though I still have many problems with the execution, at least this issue made some interesting story movements and piqued my curiosity to see what happens next.

Last edited:
Top Bottom