Is Jason Voorhees a Deadite?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
Adam Marcus stated Sam Raimi liked his idea of Jason being a deadite and gave him the prop other sources says Sam Raimi was upset that Adam Marcus would make those lies up and stated he only gave the Necronomicon as a Easter egg object.

What's everyone thoughts on this concept?

He went on in a interview....
Interview said:
After having questions about how Jason goes from a boy to a grown man so quickly, and a seemingly immortal man at that, Marcus wanted to “create a mythology for Jason in this movie, because it had driven me nuts as a viewer.” Which brings us to the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis. It was meant to serve a purpose, and not just as an awesome Easter egg. while talking with Sam Raimi, Marcus came up with the idea: “She [Pamela Voorhees] makes a deal with the devil by reading from the Necronomicon to bring back her son. This is why Jason isn’t Jason. He’s Jason plus The Evil Dead, and now I can believe that he can go from a little boy that lives in a lake, to a full grown man in a couple of months, to Zombie Jason, to never being able to kill this guy. That, to me, is way more interesting as a mashup, and Raimi loved it!” He goes on to say, “It’s not like I could tell New Line my plan to include The Evil Dead, because they don’t own The Evil Dead. So it had to be an Easter egg, and I did focus on it…there’s a whole scene that includes the book, and I hoped people would get it and could figure out that’s what I’m up to. So yes, in my opinion, Jason Voorhees is a Deadite. He’s one of The Evil Dead.”

Last edited:

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
That little nugget of a plot point got re-written real fast for freddy vs jason so i would say no and it just does not fit jason's memo either. Adam is full of it when he says stuff like that, and i quite honestly don't blame sam for being upset at that prospect even being a thing.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Adam Marcus stated Sam Raimi liked his idea of Jason being a deadite and gave him the prop other sources says Sam Raimi was upset that Adam Marcus would make those lies up and stated he only gave the Necronomicon as a Easter egg object.

I really doubt Sam would be mad about it and that's the first I've heard of that, but it was only a throwaway reference and an easter egg. They said Pamela dabbled with the occult trying to bring her son back to life before she got killed, so it makes sense to put the Necronomicon there as a recognizable reference and a quick joke to horror fans, but to go from that to saying Jason is a deadite is quite a stretch.

Last edited:

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
That little nugget of a plot point got re-written real fast for freddy vs jason so i would say no and it just does not fit jason's memo either. Adam is full of it when he says stuff like that, and i quite honestly don't blame sam for being upset at that prospect even being a thing.
The moment I heard they making a small documentary about the Part 9 Movie with Adam going in-depth doesn't help he did a Head canon and tried to rewrite the established canon of the franchise.

I really doubt Sam would be mad about it and that's the first I've heard of it, but it was only a throwaway reference and an easter egg. They said Pamela dabbled with the occult trying to bring her son back to life before she got killed, so it makes sense to put the Necronomicon there as a recognizable reference to horror fans, but to go from that to saying Jason is a deadite is quite a stretch.
That's the focus he had but a deadite is unlikely since nothing Jason shown comes close to a deadite.

Crow550

S-Mart Clerk
Bah Adam Marcus can shut up. Anyone actually care what he thinks or his Doc on Jason Goes To Hell? He's still on this after what? 25 freaking years?

Jason Goes To Hell isn't all that loved.

Last I heard Sam approved of it being used as a gag however Tom Sullivan wasn't too happy as Sam didn't bother to ask him and have him paid for it's use.

No way I'm buying Jason as a Deadite.... Ugh I play Friday The 13th The Game and I remember waiting in a Lobby and some people tried to push the idea that Evil Dead and Friday The 13th were in the same universe.... I was like NO!!!! ;P

I don't mind watching Jason Goes To Hell as a one off trashy horror flick. However it's still a piss poor sequel / final send off to the Friday The 13th Series (at the time it came out). However Steve is the best character in it and it does have a few decent moments but man is it an odd Friday The 13th flick.... Feels more like an alternate universe thing.

It was briefly pitched to do Freddy VS Jason VS Ash in 04/05 but I doubt Jason Goes To Hell had much to do with that and more the studio looking for another franchise to merge in and at the time The Evil Dead series being stagnant and knowing people wanted an Evil Dead IV. Plus I think New Line distributed it on VHS back in the 80s.

Anyways more like Marcus wanted to “STEAL a mythology for Jason in this movie, because it had driven me nuts as a viewer.” ;)

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
Bah Adam Marcus can shut up. Anyone actually care what he thinks or his Doc on Jason Goes To Hell? He's still on this after what? 25 freaking years?
I agree haha! He won't let his own mistake go.

Jason Goes To Hell isn't all that loved.
I love the Jason design 100% but not the story itself.

Last I heard Sam approved of it being used as a gag however Tom Sullivan wasn't too happy as Sam didn't bother to ask him and have him paid for it's use.
I would be upset as well.

No way I'm buying Jason as a Deadite.... Ugh I play Friday The 13th The Game and I remember waiting in a Lobby and some people tried to push the idea that Evil Dead and Friday The 13th were in the same universe.... I was like NO!!!! ;P
I had someone try to explain that and when I told him how he isn't he insulted me and blocked me lmao.

I don't mind watching Jason Goes To Hell as a one off trashy horror flick. However it's still a piss poor sequel / final send off to the Friday The 13th Series (at the time it came out). However Steve is the best character in it and it does have a few decent moments but man is it an odd Friday The 13th flick.... Feels more like an alternate universe thing.
Im not gonna lie I block the book scene outside my brain when I watch it lol.

It was briefly pitched to do Freddy VS Jason VS Ash in 04/05 but I doubt Jason Goes To Hell had much to do with that and more the studio looking for another franchise to merge in and at the time The Evil Dead series being stagnant and knowing people wanted an Evil Dead IV. Plus I think New Line distributed it on VHS back in the 80s.
The comic series was better than JGtH because it explains better since at least Freddy was referenced in the evil dead more than Jason ever was

Anyways more like Marcus wanted to “STEAL a mythology for Jason in this movie, because it had driven me nuts as a viewer.” ;)
He stole and rewritten the establish canon over his own from my view his own "fanfic".

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
Yes, I see Jason as a sort of Deadite.

Though, it's not actually (officially) a part of The Evil Dead universe, (being a movie/horror/EvilDead fan) I did/do interpret the Necronomicon in Jason Goes To Hell exactly as Marcus stated.

(BTW, it does not matter what any creator/producer/writer says about the meaning of their work, because the art is to be interpreted, though you can agree with their statements/interpretations).

So, in the Friday The 13th universe (up to Jason Goes To Hell), I do see it as Pamela using black magic (the Necronomicon) to resurrect her dead son into a (you can call it 'deadite') demon of some sort.

I do like how Ash Vs Evil Dead III has a throwback reference to this film with the baby going up the female-corpse's skirt.
Evil Dead (2013) also has that scene with the evil going into Mia that way.

I do really enjoy Jason Goes To Hell and it would have come off better without that awful score, which, I feel, kinda ruins the whole film.
Though, I do get it.
Jason X has a similar intentional cheesy score (though I do like that one a lot, specifically the end credits score).

Anthrax

S-Mart Clerk
Jason being a deadite would certainly explain some of the more outlandish things in the later Friday films. Like why he has abilites that it dosen't make much sense for a zombie-type being to have. Like possession, regeneration and teleportation. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what Adam Marcus thinks, cause aside from 3 and 4, every film has been made by a different person who has their own opinion on what Jason is.

Last edited:

Ashenwraith

Loud Mouth Braggart
The only F13 I remotely like is the 2nd one and he is better as some kind of zombie, but 'deadite' is so broad it can be anything in ED.

He went from a somewhat mysterious and interesting deformed redneck into a complete Michael Myers rip-off by 3.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Jason is not a Deadite, He does not act like one. ex : Can't levitate in the air, crawl on a wall. He can't even talk. Deadites are way more expressive. Not the same behavior at all. Furthermore, Jason is Jason, not an evil spirit in Jason's body. Jason is more like a high powered living dead thirsty for revenge.

I know they wanted a crossover with Jason, Freddy & Ash, but it doesn't mean Jason is a deadite.

The Necronomicon in Jason goes to hell was more an easter egg to my eyes...

How many time did we saw the ghost detector from Egon (Ghostbusters) in other movies? I did see it a few times in a few movies (They live, Suburban Commando) and it does not mean there's a relation between both universe.. It's a prop. That's all.

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
Jason is not a Deadite, He does not act like one. ex : Can't levitate in the air, crawl on a wall. He can't even talk. Deadites are way more expressive. Not the same behavior at all. Furthermore, Jason is Jason, not an evil spirit in Jason's body. Jason is more like a high powered living dead thirsty for revenge.

I know they wanted a crossover with Jason, Freddy & Ash, but it doesn't mean Jason is a deadite.

How many time did we saw the ghost detector from Egon (Ghostbusters) in other movies? I did see it a few times in a few movies (They live, Suburban Commando) and it does not mean there's a relation between both universe.. It's a prop. That's all.
Facts!

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
Jason being a deadite would certainly explain some of the more outlandish things in the later Friday films. Like why he has abilites that it dosen't make much sense for a zombie-type being to have. Like possession, regeneration and teleportation. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what Adam Marcus thinks, cause aside from 3 and 4, every film has been made by a different person who has their own opinion on what Jason is.
Objectively the other directors and even Sean Cunningham (Creator of the franchise) don't believe Jason is a despite but they do seem to respect this fanfic lol.

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart

Well, I don't consider The Evil Dead and Friday The 13th as the same or even a shared universe, so the typical deadite characteristics don't need to apply, and even so, not every demon in The Evil Dead universe acts the same way.

The Necronomicon was just an indicator (for those in the know) of what that book can do: some demonic body/soul-possession and other fucked up shit.

There was also the crate from Antarctica (from Creepshow).
So I would think Pamela used this living creature to get the Evil to possess, so it could then inhabit/infect her dead son's body (the creature that leaps from body to body) or perhaps she sacrificed it, which somehow fulfilled some ritual that resurrected Jason.
But he was too vicious (inhuman), so she had to allow him (the Evil) to roam the woods.
Once Jason is "killed", he is buried, then dug up and resurrected by a bolt of lightning (similar to Evil Ash in Army Of Darkness).
It is here he gains full demonic strength.

And to add to the Evil Dead / Jason Goes To Hell homages/connection, the third season of Ash Vs. Evil Dead establishes that the chosen one (Ash) can only be killed by his own blood-relative, much like how only a blood-relative of Jason can kill him (send him to Hell).

Last edited:

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
The deadites are all part of a hive mind remember? So the characteristics should have been the same ya know? All deadites have the most similar powers depending on who is possessed and Jason even in Part 9 hasn't shown such similar powers.

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
The deadites are all part of a hive mind remember? So the characteristics should have been the same ya know? All deadites have the most similar powers depending on who is possessed and Jason even in Part 9 hasn't shown such similar powers.

Jason wouldn't be a typical deadite.
He'd be a demon that's probably most comparable to Ruby's offspring that is a clone of Ash.
Or possessed by a demon (the creature from the crate being possessed and being Jason's life-force/heart).
It's like Jason's soul combined with the possessed creature, the demonic force holding them together to become the essence of the killer, Jason.
That's just my theory.

Eligos is a demon from the Book Of The Dead and so is Kandar.
Not your stereotypical deadites.

Jason Voorhees

S-Mart Clerk
Jason wouldn't be a typical deadite.
He'd be a demon that's probably most comparable to Ruby's offspring that is a clone of Ash.
Or possessed by a demon (the creature from the crate being possessed and being Jason's life-force/heart).
It's like Jason's soul combined with the possessed creature, the demonic force holding them together to become the essence of the killer, Jason.
That's just my theory.

Eligos is a demon from the Book Of The Dead and so is Kandar.
Not your stereotypical deadites.
Jason shows no known deadite traits at all.....Deadites taunts,fly,shapeshift, and stuff but Jason never shown this and was never shown to be a demon but a Revenant Zombie.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Tom Sullivan's Book of the Dead prop also had a cameo in Pumpkinhead aka Vengance - The Demon .. so according to Adam, this would also make Pumpkinhead a deadite/kandarian demon .. nope on both counts.

Top Bottom