The R.I.P. thread ..

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
RIP George.

The genre owes everything to him. He gave the world such an incredibly entertaining way to reflect on our humanity. Glad there are at least a few storytellers in the genre attempting to carry on that tradition.

He spent his final decade here in Toronto, and there's going to be a public memorial for him on Monday just down the street from me at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, which I believe is where he will be laid to rest.

Planning to stop by and pay my last respects to the man.

I hear it will be closed casket, with chains, just in case...

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
RIP to a total legend. eViL DeAdiTe absolutely said it all above.

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Paid my last respects yesterday at the memorial.

Met with other fans there, and greeted his wife and children whom I knew very little about. They were very thankful to every visitor, and made pleasant conversation.

There was a room playing some of his films, and in other was the wake with a screen playing scenes from Martin. Memorabilia throughout the funeral home.

We left messages in the guest book, and then my friend and I found ourselves paying final respects to the man, standing before his modest, wooden casket. It felt, odd, and surreal, but we were grateful for the opportunity.

I hear a few people attended earlier in the day in full zombie regalia. Would love to have seen that.

I don’t believe he’s being laid to rest here, and if I had to guess I’d day he’s probably Pittsburgh bound today.

Not much else to tell, really.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I'm so glad you went.

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
R.I.P. Tobe Hooper

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/tobe-hooper-dead-dies-texas-chain-saw-massacre-poltergeist-director-dies-1202539868/

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
It really has been one hell of a hard year in the horror community :/

eViL DeAdiTe

Loud Mouth Braggart
Staff member
Damn... 

I was a big fan of the TCM series as a kid (Pt. 2 being my favourite) and Poltergeist remains, to this day, my personal go-to scariest movie of all time. I know he wasn't responsible for everything in it, but it wouldn't have been the same without him. 

RIP  :(

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Veteran actor James Karen dead at 94:
https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-james-karen-from-return-of-the-living-dead-pol-1829981639

Horror fans know him from his storming performance in Return of the Living Dead, but he was in millions of things, according to the obit up there he also blew up The Little House on the Prairie, which I can't say I remember. He was still working up till recently, and nobody had a bad word to say about him. Another "That Guy" actor gone. RIP.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
He was terrific in ROTLD and will be sorely missed.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
He was terrific in ROTLD and will be sorely missed.
It was a bit mad seeing him part two playing a grave robber after he'd died in part one, apparently they liked him so much in the first film they just had to use him again (and his understudy Freddy).

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Stan was so talented and he'll be so missed. The Granddaddy of Spider-Man!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Dick Miller was such a good character actor; unforgettable in Return of the Living Dead.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Oh damn it! Sorry, brain fart!

Top Bottom