Tom Sullivan's Books of the Dead: Devilhead (Unfinished Comics)

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
I learned recently that Tom Sullivan wrote a comic book, Books of the Dead: Devilhead, published in 2005-2006 by Dead Dog Comics. Unfortunately, only 2 of 4 issues were released (Issue #1 on Sep 28, 2005 and Issue #2 on Mar 15, 2006).

566727.jpg
590963.jpg

There is lots of references to Evil Dead! The title itself Books of the Dead: Devilhead is a good start! Devilhead... Evil Dead... Very similar, but it doesn't end there! Both released issues had variant covers, very recognizable:

The variant cover of Issue #1 is Tom Sullivan's "Beloved" artwork, also used for the promotion of The Evil Dead movie:

8577768879074b1477bbc0d48a2fdaad-800.jpg
c813d98a1bcc8e32d59b952568f5fafe.jpg

The variant cover of Issue #2 is reusing Tom Sullivan's artwork of the original Evil Dead poster:

3060003-books%20of%20the%20dead%20v2005%20002%20%282006%29%20pagecover.jpg
ff9f5b4fdcffb25cd599493d0e404ff4.jpg

When I read the story, I couldn't think of anything else but a sequel or a remake of The Evil Dead. In the story begins with archaeologists at the Cormoran Castle, Iraq in 1983. Iraq is the modern country name for Mesopotamia, the lands of the Sumerians, and maybe I'm pushing it, but I find that "Cormoran" is pretty similar to "Kandorian".

04dWK9n.jpg

Inside an hidden chamber (again, similar to the chamber discovered by Knowby in Evil Dead 2) they find symbols very familiar (same as the ones in the Evil Dead's Natorum Demonto/Necronomicon). They also find an 'Arcane Book'. The book is bound in flesh, written in human blood. Instead of a face, the cover has a hand embossed.

bzUTGay.jpg
cPHxHuK.jpg

When they open the book, Tom Sullivan reproduced images of his Evil Dead's Natorum Demonto/Necronomicon! They translate the books, one guy say a passage out load, and the camp is attacked by demons looking as zombies.

XGFtRmh.jpg
31LZQzj.jpg

In issue #2, it's now 1984, and the Book of the Dead is kept in a safe by Archaeologist George Taymor. It seems that spores is what infected the soldiers at the camp. The coded language of the book is revealed to be 'Cinosian' (or 'Cinosnian'), and the text is a how-to manual for a cult, with instructions for ritual to summon the demon of mutilation...

x86NYo4.jpg

Things goes awry and the evil is unleashed once more! Too bad Issue #2 end with "To be continued..." but the story was never finished.

I tried to find more info about it, and the reasons of the cancellation, but my research was in vain... However, it looks like Dead Dog Comics was only publishing books from 2001 to 2006. I guess the company ended, leaving that comics (and maybe other titles) unfinished. Again, it reminds me of Space Goat Entertainment who never finished their Evil Dead 2 comic book series...

Anyway, is anybody here know more about it? Could be great if Tom Sullivan had the chance to finish the story!

EDIT: Just found out that Tom Sullivan Interview:

DW: Well, I did find out you wrote a comic sometime ago. That must have been a fun creative project to check off your artist bucket list?

TS: That was for Chazz DeMoss’ Dead Dog comics. I wrote a 4 issue comic called Tom Sullivan’s Books of the Dead: Devilhead. While all 4 issues were created, only the first 2 were published which is unfortunate, because the artwork was amazing! Good story, too. I’m hoping Chazz will publish it as a graphic novel someday.

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I would be really interested to get a graphic novel! They should at least do a limited run. The comic is already done, I just wonder why they did not make a campaign (i.e. Kickstarter) to publish it. I don't know if someone here on the forum have contact with them....I think Tom and Chazz need a wake up call on this project.

This project seems to be the Evil Dead spin-of that I was waiting for a long time...Look way better than some Army of Darkness comics....

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Exactly! I, for sure, would back it on Kickstarter. Loved to read the first two issues, and really want to know how it ends. I think I tracked down the right 'Chazz DeMoss' on Facebook -- I left him a message. We never know!

EDIT: Got my answer... He is not interested:

What a sad news to let a project like this on the shelf... :(

Maybe the only one who could change his mind is probably Mr.Tom Sullivan

Last edited:

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Yeah, it's sad that he seems not interested at all. Looking at his FB account, he's more into horror movie conventions now.

That "no thank you" answer feels like he had a very bad experience with his comic book publishing company. Well, sure thing, if Dead Dog Comics ceased abrutely to publish comics in 2006, it was certainly not for a happy reason. Maybe he just wants to forget about it.

But yeah, I don't know Tom Sullivan enough to ask him about pushing the project forward... Any volunteer?!! :)

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Yeah, it's sad that he seems not interested at all. Looking at his FB account, he's more into horror movie conventions now.

That "no thank you" answer feels like he had a very bad experience with his comic book publishing company. Well, sure thing, if Dead Dog Comics ceased abrutely to publish comics in 2006, it was certainly not for a happy reason. Maybe he just wants to forget about it.

But yeah, I don't know Tom Sullivan enough to ask him about pushing the project forward... Any volunteer?!! :)

Unfortunately I don't have any contact with Mr. Tom Sullivan. I can be a supporter. If there's any members here who have a good contact with Tom, please raise your hand. ;)

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Huh, this is super interesting!

Top Bottom