Bruce Campbell Confirms New Evil Dead in the Works

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
At this point, I’m just riding passenger for whatever’s comes along. We fans have certainly been through the range of emotions over the decades of waiting, disappointment, excitement, etc but I almost feel burned out on being teased, if that makes sense. I will be a good Evil Dead supporter of anything that comes out, movie or video game, but at this point I’m getting to be in more of a “show me” attitude. Hence, while this is good news, I will really be excited when our trust is rewarded

DyD

Spinach Chin
"We have a new filmmaker that Sam Raimi has hand chosen, so he's very involved in it..."

A hand picked new filmmaker like Fede Alvarez? And Sam is very involved in this like he was supposed to be very involved in AvED?

Yeah, thanks, Bruce, but I think I'll pass on this one. Either Sam Raimi comes back as both writer and director and this is a film he personally wants to make or I'm simply not interested anymore.

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
"We have a new filmmaker that Sam Raimi has hand chosen, so he's very involved in it..."

A hand picked new filmmaker like Fede Alvarez? And Sam is very involved in this like he was supposed to be very involved in AvED?

Yeah, thanks, Bruce, but I think I'll pass on this one. Either Sam Raimi comes back as both writer and director and this is a film he personally wants to make or I'm simply not interested anymore.

I'm not closed to the idea of another movie by another director, but I'm not really open either...

No one have done better than Sam Raimi itself. I think the series (with many different directors) and the remake prove that point. I'm wonder if Sam Raimi will ever direct a full length movie again. He seem to enjoy the role of producer more than directing movies...

Since Ash will not be there, and it seem it will not be the sequel from the remake, I expect a total reboot of the franchise....They will need a solid team on that one to convince me.

I think they need to do something else than just repeating the story of the cabin. It's enough. There's so much thing to explore...

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
I'm excited for anything new Evil Dead as I generally take a "better then nothing" stance to these sorts of things. However there are plenty of ways to ruin franchises so I guess I will wait and see what form this new film takes before getting to excited about it. I hope that Sam Raimi would green light a project that will feel like an "Evil Dead" product and not some sort of knockoff or dumb reimagining. Time will tell.

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
I think they need to do something else than just repeating the story of the cabin. It's enough. There's so much thing to explore...

I agree with you. But I also wonder: What do you think is the core thing that makes an Evil Dead movie an Evil Dead movie. When it is not Ash or the cabin setting, is it the necronomicon, deadites or the Raimi-styled-horror-slapstick-mix in general? I ask because personally I am not quite sure about my own opinion.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
According to the press release

They're supposed to be moving the setting to an 'urban' one."
The notion of uprooting Evil Dead from the wilderness and sticking it in an urban setting (which was what Fede wanted to do with his ED2 sequel, which makes me wonder if they cannibalized that idea to make this one) is going to take a lot of fancy footwork

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin

The notion of uprooting Evil Dead from the wilderness and sticking it in an urban setting (which was what Fede wanted to do with his ED2 sequel, which makes me wonder if they cannibalized that idea to make this one) is going to take a lot of fancy footwork

Sometime a sequel don't need to follow a particular story or a character's journey. It's suppose to be the story of "The Evil Dead", so basically it could work as a sequel of Fede Alvarez movie if they want to make one. Just a different story with different character....

About the urban setting, Why am I thinking Die Hard with deadites....? I just hope they won't try to do "a modern take" of the story in a smart home, you know what i mean...

DyD

Spinach Chin

About the urban setting, Why am I thinking Die Hard with deadites....? I just hope they won't try to do "a modern take" of the story in a smart home, you know what i mean...

If you look back at my commentary on the 1st season of AvED you'll see that one of the specific things that was really rubbing me off the wrong way about the show was
how urban, open and ordinary most of the environments felt. I really have no interest in seeing deadites loose in a big city full of people and I think isolation is a very important aspect of that Evil Dead feel that's so hard to pin down. Even in Army of Darkness, Ash is alone in the wilderness for most of the second act and even during the siege there's a sense of claustrophobia and isolation to the whole thing, even if the setting is of a much larger scale. I know they can still focus the narrative and find ways to make even a big city feel isolated, claustrophobic and eerie, but I can't help but think the real reason they're moving to an "urban setting" isn't really a creative one, but just that it makes it that much easier and cheaper to produce.

Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I guess Sam Raimi is done too with the Evil Dead franchise since he just announced his new movie which is...an horror movie...

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-sam-raimi-horror-movie/

The project look promising but...Why did he not direct the new Evil Dead movie?...

I'm shocked Sam is going to direct his next project instead of serving as executive producer, and I'm guessing he is done with directing any Evil Dead related movies which is a bummer.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
If you look back at my commentary on the 1st season of AvED you'll see that one of the specific things that was really rubbing me off the wrong way about the show was
how urban, open and ordinary most of the environments felt. I really have no interest in seeing deadites loose in a big city full of people and I think isolation is a very important aspect of that Evil Dead feel that's so hard to pin down. Even in Army of Darkness, Ash is alone in the wilderness for most of the second act and even during the siege there's a sense of claustrophobia and isolation to the whole thing, even if the setting is of a much larger scale. I know they can still focus the narrative and find ways to make even a big city feel isolated, claustrophobic and eerie, but I can't help but think the real reason they're moving to an "urban setting" isn't really a creative one, but just that it makes it that much easier and cheaper to produce.

Totally agree 100% with you. With an urban setting you don't need to build a cabin and a whole setting. You just take the location as it is. So yes, the main reason is surely because it's cheaper to produce.

Last edited:

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
I suppose I'm one who doesn't view a bad entry in a franchise as ruining it altogether. I would rather they just take a shot and fail than to never try anything again. Whether or not it turns out good is another story. I do however wish Sam Raimi would direct, even if it has nothing to do with Ash

mhb2862

S-Mart Clerk
You guys are nuts if you think it's cheaper and easier to shoot an industry film on location in urban environments than it is to shoot on a single set on a sound stage.

And, for the record, when shooting on location, you never "take the location as it is". Even the no-budget Evil Dead boys spent weeks prepping the cabin before they actually started shooting, wasting incredible amounts of footage shooting car scenes while they waited for the cabin to be finished.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
You guys are nuts if you think it's cheaper and easier to shoot an industry film on location in urban environments than it is to shoot on a single set on a sound stage.

And, for the record, when shooting on location, you never "take the location as it is". Even the no-budget Evil Dead boys spent weeks prepping the cabin before they actually started shooting, wasting incredible amounts of footage shooting car scenes while they waited for the cabin to be finished.

I understand your point but, “Urban setting” doesn’t necessarily means the action take place in a big city. I don't think they will shoot this movie in the middle of New York City and close streets. This isn’t an Avengers movie. I still think building a whole set-up from scratch could be more expensive and more time consuming than using an existing backlocks streets set from the studios (Where they already shoot many tv series). It's already there, and it belong to the studios. Of course they needs to tweak and personalize the setting, but it’s certainly cheaper and less complicated to use this than create a new one. This isn’t new, re-using the location of a previous movie or series to save time and money, a lot of producers (Roger Corman, Charles Band) have already done that countless time in the past. If you already know the location of your story. It will be easier to create the story based on this setting. I know they could go back in a cabin in the woods eating peanut butter, and living hell making movie, but Sam, Bruce, Robert and co… are all far from this era now…Even what it seem to be a single set production is mostly done at different locations. The Evil dead movies are no exception.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

Depends on if you go dogme 95 or not with the environment.

Now I'm imagining what a dogme 95-style Evil Dead would look like.

RE spoilers:

They wanted this one to be funny as well. So funny "like Evil Dead 2" in Bruce's words + urban environment.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Depends on if you go dogme 95 or not with the environment.

Now I'm imagining what a dogme 95-style Evil Dead would look like.

RE spoilers:

They wanted this one to be funny as well. So funny "like Evil Dead 2" in Bruce's words + urban environment.

If they want to keep it raw as possible, a dogme 95-style could be interesting. As long as they stay far away from found footage films.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
We can hope they will!

Top Bottom