My Thoughts Why Evil Dead Was Cancelled?

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
This is from my review I had written for IMDB.
Ash vs The Evil Dead is the greatest show on television. The show has drama, action, and witty humor. It is personally my favorite TV Series of All Time. The show was cancelled because of piracy. Which led to low ratings because not everyone can afford Starz, and some people don't have a television.Bruce Campbell slammed piracy, and it was a warning that Ash Vs The Evil Dead was going to be cancelled. Bruce was disappointed on fans, which caused him to retire. He raised awareness of the show's cancellation. Bruce hoped the fans would save the show. The fans proved him wrong. Why would Bruce get drenched in blood everyday for low ratings? The biggest flaw in my personal opinion in Ash Vs The Evil Dead is the lack of interesting villains. If the show had interesting villains like Eligos. I personally think the show would had stretched to season 5. The writers could have taken ideas from the comics. In the comics Ash had faced Vampires,Werewolves, Freddy, Jason, and Evil Ash( The Same Evil Ash From Army Of Darkness). The major problem with the series. It lacked a major antagonist. I personally wanted to see Freddy (Robert Englund) to be a major villain in Ash Vs The Evil Dead. Why not have other horrors of icons to face Ash Williams like Chucky, Pinhead, and so on? It would had been awesome to see Ash chainsaw Freddy. I hope Evil Dead fans would get notice of my review.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I agree with you about the vilains antagonist parts. They should bring more appealing vilains to this show. They should have bring more type of demons creatures like Eligos, yes they could have hired Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Cie....They could have bring that little something the show was missing. Lucy Lawless is great, but as a main vilain it was a bad choice....They should have kept the Knowby looking for vengeance story and getting more epic vilains. Totally agree with you for this.

Where I disagree is about piracy...C'mon., this is not THE reason. It did not help for sure, but it's not the only thing. There's a tons o shows which are still alive and I'm sure they are pirated as well...So why are they're still making "The Walking Dead"? Strangers Thing? American Horror Story? Nowadays, everyone need to get over this. If you can't survive and overcome piracy you're simply not worty. This is just the plain and sad reality.

I'm a musican, I see my albums getting on torrents & download sites, I know what I'm talking about. So whinning about this won't help and won't changed anything.

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
I agree with you about the vilains antagonist parts. They should bring more appealing vilains to this show. They should have bring more type of demons creatures like Eligos, yes they could have hired Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Cie....They could have bring that little something the show was missing. Lucy Lawless is great, but as a main vilain it was a bad choice....They should have kept the Knowby looking for vengeance story and getting more epic vilains. Totally agree with you for this.

Where I disagree is about piracy...C'mon., this is not THE reason. It did not help for sure, but it's not the only thing. There's a tons o shows which are still alive and I'm sure they are pirated as well...So why are they're still making "The Walking Dead"? Strangers Thing? American Horror Story? Nowadays, everyone need to get over this. If you can't survive and overcome piracy you're simply not worty. This is just the plain and sad reality.

I'm a musican, I see my albums getting on torrents & download sites, I know what I'm talking about. So whinning about this won't help and won't changed anything.

Bruce Campbell actually admitted it is the reason. Here is the source of the quote:
https://www.screengeek.net/2017/10/23/bruce-campbell-goes-off-on-people-who-pirate-ash-vs-evil-dead/

I quote Bruce Campbell

“4/5 of you can kiss my ass! Oh, why did they cancel Ash vs Evil Dead? Where did that show go? Right up into the air … You know what? Hey, you slackers out there. Ash vs Evil Dead is one of the most illegally downloaded shows! Why did it get canceled? Because you are all loyal criminals.”
Source:
https://www.screengeek.net/2017/10/23/bruce-campbell-goes-off-on-people-who-pirate-ash-vs-evil-dead/

https://1428elm.com/2017/10/19/ash-vs-evil-dead-bringbackboomstick-chants-greet-bruce-campbell/

Bruce is punishing fans by retiring. Based on his quotes.

DeathLivesAgain

Loud Mouth Braggart
The reason Ash Vs Evil Dead is canceled is not piracy. Lionsgate bought Starz and didn't care about supporting the show like those formerly in charge of Starz did. The ratings weren't great on Starz. It wasn't piracy's fault, it was the fact that it was on Starz. Do you have Starz? Who the fuck has Starz? Rich fuckers that don't care about Ash Vs Evil Dead, that's who. The blurays for Ash Vs Evil Dead sold very well, beating The Walking Dead in that department. Ash Vs Evil Dead did great on Netflix. But all that mattered to Lionsgate was the Starz ratings.

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
The reason Ash Vs Evil Dead is canceled is not piracy. Lionsgate bought Starz and didn't care about supporting the show like those formerly in charge of Starz did. The ratings weren't great on Starz. It wasn't piracy's fault, it was the fact that it was on Starz. Do you have Starz? Who the fuck has Starz? Rich fuckers that don't care about Ash Vs Evil Dead, that's who. The blurays for Ash Vs Evil Dead sold very well, beating The Walking Dead in that department. Ash Vs Evil Dead did great on Netflix. But all that mattered to Lionsgate was the Starz ratings.

Bruce Campbell blames the fans. I posted the links. Go back to the previous posts for the links.

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
The Show didn’t have high ratings. Starz restricted fans from watching the show. Bruce blames on internet piracy. He is hurt because of a misunderstanding.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Bruce Campbell blames the fans. I posted the links. Go back to the previous posts for the links.

Blaming someone is not a solid argument. I'm sure if you compare numbers, The Walking Dead win all over AVED on the piracy scale. AVED Season 3 is not even on the top 10 of the most pirated shows of 2018....https://www.thewrap.com/walking-dead-most-pirated-tv-show-2018-game-of-thrones-torrented/

TWD is reaching seasons 10 and GoT have 8 seasons...They are also victims of their success, but they still manage to get enough followers to live on. This is the only audience creators should focus on . If the platform can't reach peoples EASILY, THEY have a problem. You need to reach your audience and not the opposite. This is a golden rule from today's standards. We're not in the 80' anymore.

You can't be artist anymore without taking piracy into consideration. This is simply impossible. The only way is to shut off internet completely

Starz is a very limited platform. They are not even a worldwide stand alone streaming service. (They are usually add-on to other platforms in some countries) They are not huge as Netflix, not even as Amazon Prime...and Disney+ have just begun, so It will be harder for them in the next following years.

The fact that Starz are not independant limit their audience considerably from day one. They're struggling with this way before Liongate bought them...If I'm not wrong Liongate are looking to sell it to MGM. So they definitely had problems way back then and it's not because of AVED fans...How can you reach everyone when you're not available for everyone?. Peoples nowadays are lazy and cheap, if they can't reach you within two clicks for a few bucks, they will not looking further....I would go as far as being an add-on to some cable channels turn to be very costly versus Netflix or any independant streaming services. So this is also another thing that you may consider. So, being an actor for TV shows made not Bruce Campbell an expert in that department.

Last edited:

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
Blaming someone is not a solid argument. I'm sure if you compare numbers, The Walking Dead win all over AVED on the piracy scale. AVED Season 3 is not even on the top 10 of the most pirated shows of 2018....https://www.thewrap.com/walking-dead-most-pirated-tv-show-2018-game-of-thrones-torrented/

TWD is reaching seasons 10 and GoT have 8 seasons...They are also victims of their success, but they still manage to get enough followers to live on. This is the only audience creators should focus on . If the platform can't reach peoples EASILY, THEY have a problem. You need to reach your audience and not the opposite. This is a golden rule from today's standards. We're not in the 80' anymore.

You can't be artist anymore without taking piracy into consideration. This is simply impossible. The only way is to shut off internet completely

Starz is a very limited platform. They are not even a worldwide stand alone streaming service. (They are usually add-on to other platforms in some countries) They are not huge as Netflix, not even as Amazon Prime...and Disney+ have just begun, so It will be harder for them in the next following years.

The fact that Starz are not independant limit their audience considerably from day one. They're struggling with this way before Liongate bought them...If I'm not wrong Liongate are looking to sell it to MGM. So they definitely had problems way back then and it's not because of AVED fans...How can you reach everyone when you're not available for everyone?. Peoples nowadays are lazy and cheap, if they can't reach you within two clicks for a few bucks, they will not looking further....I would go as far as being an add-on to some cable channels turn to be very costly versus Netflix or any independant streaming services. So this is also another thing that you may consider. So, being an actor for TV shows made not Bruce Campbell an expert in that department.
Bruce Campbell is punishing fans by retiring, because Bruce blames internet pirates. Bruce doesn’t seem to understand how things in the modern era work. Bruce used this old business model. Raimi and Bruce seem not to understand premium channels would block off a huge chunk of your fanbase.Why would Bruce continue Ash Vs The Evil Dead for low ratings? I hate to say this, but either Bruce is trolling or is petty for retiring.

Anthrax

S-Mart Clerk
My guess is that it was on a obscure channel not available internationally. ED has a ton of fans outside of the US who had to rely on piracy or wait for the dvds to come out because they couldn't get access to Starz.
Compare this to Cobra Kai which quickly became a massive success. Not just cause it was good, but also cause you could buy it on youtube seemingly all over the world. No waiting time either. Released all over the world at the same time. Same with a lot of Netflix shows, popular platform accessible internationally.

AVED was on a lesser known network limited to North America and some other countries. There was huge untapped market they missed out on. Also, did Starz offer anything notworthy besides AVED? Only having one interesting show may have put a damper on people's interest in getting Starz.

BadAsh

S-Mart Clerk
My guess is that it was on a obscure channel not available internationally. ED has a ton of fans outside of the US who had to rely on piracy or wait for the dvds to come out because they couldn't get access to Starz.
Compare this to Cobra Kai which quickly became a massive success. Not just cause it was good, but also cause you could buy it on youtube seemingly all over the world. No waiting time either. Released all over the world at the same time. Same with a lot of Netflix shows, popular platform accessible internationally.

AVED was on a lesser known network limited to North America and some other countries. There was huge untapped market they missed out on. Also, did Starz offer anything notworthy besides AVED? Only having one interesting show may have put a damper on people's interest in getting Starz.
Bruce Campbell is really petty for retiring. Either he is trolling or a marketing gimmick. It would not make sense for him to retire. He didn’t play Ash for over twenty years. I mean if he is tired of blood spilled on him. Why not fight vampires or skeletons. They don’t have blood. LOL.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
The "AvED was killed by Piracy" thing is a lie. Let's be real - the live fives were awful. The ratings were awful. All three of AvED's seasons never made the top fifty when it came to the most pirated shows in existence.

Power is huge in the ratings, and Outlander was doing okay for awhile. But they could never find something to properly pair with AvED

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Bruce Campbell is really petty for retiring. Either he is trolling or a marketing gimmick. It would not make sense for him to retire. He didn’t play Ash for over twenty years. I mean if he is tired of blood spilled on him. Why not fight vampires or skeletons. They don’t have blood. LOL.

Bruce is a human being, and is free to do what he likes when it comes to his career.

Top Bottom