Evil Dead References

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Sticking with the vintage references thing, I remember being at a jungle techno (before anyone started calling it 'Drum & Bass') FANTAZIA UK rave in the early 90's and enjoying myself very much but also having my mind blown hearing THIS dub plate first being dropped in front of about 20,000 ravers for the first ever time by pure luck .. I was in the right time at the right place! .. I was already a The Evil Dead fan so this took me by surprise ..

Last edited:

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Well, Since I'm a big Evil Dead fan, I like to add some references to my music. I don't know if this the right place to post it. Anywa, there are reference to Evil Dead, so I'll post this right here.

This is my band Doom's Day. the song is a cover of Type O Negative. You can see Evil Dead posters on the walls. (I'm the singer by the way)

Same band. This is the song Necronomicon Ex-Mortis from our first album released in 2012. There's no video, but the lyrics follow mostly the narrative from ED2 opening.

One last reference....

This is with my latest project Cardinal Roark (Yes reference to Sin City) I ripped the portal from ED2 and the font is the one from Evil dead. The song is not related to Evil dead. It's a poem from Edgar Allan Poe. (I play guitars on this project.)

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I'm surprised someone pointed out Deicide for the song Dead By Dawn, but nobody pointed out the song Evil Dead by Death. It' not even on the Deadite online website.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
At the end of this song Orgiastic Disemblowelment by Crytopsy (Death metsl), you can hear the following sample of Army of Darkness : "Run home and cry to momma"

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
In 2015 there was an indie movie release called 'DeathGasm'

The entire thing is essentially an Evil Dead homage. Sacred pages (song pages here), the possessed act a lot like Deadites, chainsaws ,tooling up sequences, the lot. It's not a bad little film as these things go.

Best part about it is a year later I spotted the main actor was actually in Ash vs Evil Dead's first season as one of the paramilitary guys (he gets his head caved in to a truck tow bar by a deadite).

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
Now you're all probably aware of the Zombies!!! Board game, and they use some imagery (and a few quotes) from Evil Dead

81gY8P2fDqL._SY355_.jpg

You might be less aware on the expansion/stand alone Zombies!!! 4: The End where you have to collect the pages of the book of the undead and read them aloud in a cabin in the woods to win.

s-l1600.jpg

And you might be even less aware that after this there was a spin-off series called 'MidEvil' where you travel back in time to fight an army of skeletons around a castle..

pic65238.jpg

pic113064.jpg

51crLkpTkcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The deluxe collection of all 3 has a familiar box art
62440a_73eea6d7bb514bc6ac7a2ec2e2124585~mv2_d_1912_1603_s_2.jpg

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Now you're all probably aware of the Zombies!!! Board game, and they use some imagery (and a few quotes) from Evil Dead

81gY8P2fDqL._SY355_.jpg

You might be less aware on the expansion/stand alone Zombies!!! 4: The End where you have to collect the pages of the book of the undead and read them aloud in a cabin in the woods to win.

s-l1600.jpg

And you might be even less aware that after this there was a spin-off series called 'MidEvil' where you travel back in time to fight an army of skeletons around a castle..

pic65238.jpg

pic113064.jpg

51crLkpTkcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The deluxe collection of all 3 has a familiar box art
62440a_73eea6d7bb514bc6ac7a2ec2e2124585~mv2_d_1912_1603_s_2.jpg
I've owned, played and gone on to sell those board games (I stopped buying them after pt 4) .. the first release also had a street tile showing a cinema with the film title 'EVIL DAD' :)

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I'm surprised someone pointed out Deicide for the song Dead By Dawn, but nobody pointed out the song Evil Dead by Death. It' not even on the Deadite online website.

It's been posted here in the past but thanks for the reminder ;)

Mardeadite

Loud Mouth Braggart
I get 2000ad every week, so I noticed the cabin straight away! It's great when two of my favorite things collide.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Is this the last episode I watched where Rick is flown off in the helicopter at the end even though the episode was touted as the one he dies in? .. I was wondering at the time if that was supposed to be a metaphor for him being taken up to heaven or something ..

I'll have to re watch that episode now, I remember him going into a crusty old cabin and somehow escaping through a hole in the wall, I missed it being the Evil Dead cabin that also contained the Necronomicon!

DyD

Spinach Chin
Is this the last episode I watched where Rick is flown off in the helicopter at the end even though the episode was touted as the one he dies in?

It wasn't touted as the episode he would die in. They just said it would be his final episode on the show. That he would actually die in it was just people jumping to conclusions. But yeah, it still felt like a complete copout, bait-and-switch move. Almost immediately after the episode finished airing they made the announcement that they're planning not one but THREE tv movies starring Andrew Lincoln that will be focused solely on Rick as the main character, and that really made all of this feel like just another sleazy tactic to get the ratings up and people talking about the show. After reading that announcement, I could almost hear the AMC execs saying "played you like a fiddle, morons!". And it's obvious they're already planning Rick's return to the show at some point.

I'll have to re watch that episode now, I remember him going into a crusty old cabin and somehow escaping through a hole in the wall, I missed it being the Evil Dead cabin that also contained the Necronomicon!

I also didn't notice any similarity whatsoever between the cabin in the episode and the Evil Dead cabin when I watched it, other than the fact that it is a cabin and it is located in the woods. It just looked like any other old rundown cabin that regularly shows up on the show. In fact, they had another one just like it just a couple of episodes before that one. I also completely missed the pseudo-Necronomicon on the floor. If that was a reference, it was really frickin' subtle. But then again, I barely pay attention when I watch The Walking Dead anymore. I think I'm still watching only out of obligation or something. That said, despite all the sleazy marketing ploys and bait-and-switch shenanigans they're still pulling, I'll admit the show feels a bit better this season and that they've been doing a good job in breathing new life into it.

Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Not only was the cabin a nod from Nicotero, but there were people who hinted that there were more deadite like walkers in the episode... and they also gave Aaron a prosthetic arm this season which reminds me of Ash.

twd-aaron-father-gabriel-906-1143690.jpeg

Is this the last episode I watched where Rick is flown off in the helicopter at the end even though the episode was touted as the one he dies in? .. I was wondering at the time if that was supposed to be a metaphor for him being taken up to heaven or something ..

It wasn't a metaphor.

Almost immediately after the episode finished airing they made the announcement that they're planning not one but THREE tv movies starring Andrew Lincoln that will be focused solely on Rick as the main character, and that really made all of this feel like just another sleazy tactic to get the ratings up and people talking about the show. After reading that announcement, I could almost hear the AMC execs saying "played you like a fiddle, morons!". And it's obvious they're already planning Rick's return to the show at some point.

The problem with the ratings deal is that once they announced the first part of the season as Rick's final episodes most fans told them they were done with the series because they were so attached to Rick as the main character. So if AMC was trying to grab ratings they missed the big brass ring, and Andrew Lincoln has pretty much said Rick would never return to tv which I tend to believe because it will be easier to shoot a few movies together instead of shooting x-number of episodes. It looks like when those movies are done he will be done for good too unless they throw a shitload of money at him for a the last season of the show which could go on for a while since the comics are still being made.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Not only was the cabin a nod from Nicotero, but there were people who hinted that there were more deadite like walkers in the episode... and they also gave Aaron a prosthetic arm this season which reminds me of Ash.

twd-aaron-father-gabriel-906-1143690.jpeg

It wasn't a metaphor.

The problem with the ratings deal is that once they announced the first part of the season as Rick's final episodes most fans told them they were done with the series because they were so attached to Rick as the main character. So if AMC was trying to grab ratings they missed the big brass ring, and Andrew Lincoln has pretty much said Rick would never return to tv which I tend to believe because it will be easier to shoot a few movies together instead of shooting x-number of episodes. It looks like when those movies are done he will be done for good too unless they throw a shitload of money at him for a the last season of the show which could go on for a while since the comics are still being made.
Our forum member Cactus Jack interviewed Greg Nicotero just after season 2 .. I haven't read that yet (it's a looong story) so hopefully he'll hook us up .. in the mean time ..

Top Bottom