Restoring my Delta

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk
Recently purchased a 73 delta royale and working on getting it screen accurate as possible . Any suggestions tips on locating parts specifically a rear bumper replacement . Look forward to chatting and learning from the board .

If you are in process of restoring your own delta may I can help you with obstacles I have already faced .

Thanks in advance guys !

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Hi gcaplan .. and like Kain said ! .. please keep us all updated with photos etc in this thread, good luck and welcome. :)

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Good luck! Hope it comes together well.

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk
Thanks for the encouragement . Took it to Blairstown NJ for Friday the 13th events . Now its going to be mostly in and out of shops until I do my October vacations . Currently having new head gasket , motor mounts and angle job done . After that shocks / struts , and having vinyl top installed .

Thoughts go back to Dan Aykroyd bringing in junked out Cadillac and saying what a bargain he got in Ghostbusters .

Mechanics keep advising me to sell the car . They can get an oldsmobile or similar in better shape or lesser miles and even a 2 door lol . When explaining evil dead they do not even know . Get the look of they are not above separating a fool and their money .

Honestly eager to jump to smaller things I have tools and knowledge to do myself ( best way to bond with a machine ) .

Timeline for now is to have it look as close to Ash's car as possible by October . 2019 plans are get her prepped and ready for a 3000 mile road trip .

For the record guys on desperate search for rear bumper .

Photos will be coming

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
... Any suggestions tips on locating parts specifically a rear bumper replacement .

I'd go for a kandarian demon proof rear bumper this time mate ;) .. joking aside, good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing some early pics of your Delta.

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk
it came with a kandarin demon proof bumper but it was not rust proofed :( . Going to see about having chrome shop sand blast and weld some patches in then re chrome it .
Thus far most frustrating thing has been getting work done on old cars by shops who know what they are doing is everything takes forever , The delta has been waiting in line for a month to have the engine work done .

Last edited:

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk
Update , finally found a bumper after resigning to not finding a bumper . Was writing chrome shops asking for estimate to Patch and rechrome my bumper to look good as new when stumbling on a shop over 100 miles away that claimed to have a core in stock . 500.00 and they are getting the core chromed . Cheaper than thought I would have to spend to get rust holes patched and rechromed in current bumper .

Next step is getting the vinyl top put on shortly after the shop gets the engine heads rebuilt and angle job done .

If any readers know of how to fix rebuild outer door handers from this era let me know . The delta takes two thumbs pressing hard on button to get door to unlatch from outside .

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Update , finally found a bumper after resigning to not finding a bumper . Was writing chrome shops asking for estimate to Patch and rechrome my bumper to look good as new when stumbling on a shop over 100 miles away that claimed to have a core in stock . 500.00 and they are getting the core chromed . Cheaper than thought I would have to spend to get rust holes patched and rechromed in current bumper .

Next step is getting the vinyl top put on shortly after the shop gets the engine heads rebuilt and angle job done .

If any readers know of how to fix rebuild outer door handers from this era let me know . The delta takes two thumbs pressing hard on button to get door to unlatch from outside .
Good news about the new bumper, I suppose it will be worth the long wait in the end when you know this work has been done properly .. what are you plans for your Delta after it's finished and ready ? .. are you planning on selling or will you be driving it yourself gcaplan?

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk
Good news about the new bumper, I suppose it will be worth the long wait in the end when you know this work has been done properly .. what are you plans for your Delta after it's finished and ready ? .. are you planning on selling or will you be driving it yourself gcaplan?

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk

No intention to sell less a Ghostbusters ( original

No intention to sell but if by selling or trading it would get me a Ghosters Car ( the Cadillac Meteor not the the one in the yremake ) or Back to Future Delorean it’s would be gone . Hopefully if it occurs I could keep both and be a poor version of Jay Leno .

This is my hobby party car . Took it when I went to Blairstown NJ for Friday the 13th festival last April . I tend to take it to similar trips when I go . October 2019 plan to drive it from Tennessee to Colorado for my stay in the Stephen King room at the Stanley Hotel on Halloween ( you got to book way in advance )
This goes back to late 90s after getting into Evil Dead and talking with fellow horror obsessed friend we spoke of buying the delta if we found a yellow one on a lot real cheap . That never happened and given the money being dumped into it recovering the cost is unlikely . Logic be damned , am having fun building my movie car and getting it just how I want it . Word of warning to others wanting to follow . Every time you get gas or stop it’s 60-80 year old dudes come out of woodwork to talk and tell stories about their cars they had 40-50 years ago . It takes up time talking with them all .
Sadly no hot chicks come running up either . However when at the Friday the 13th festival it was recognized for being the Sam Raimi / Evil Dead Car . The Groovy plate on front confirmed any doubts .

The old men get politely cut short when I just want to get on with my day but a deadite is welcome to talk and look endlessly . No intention to sell photos of people in car or take to events for money it’s just for me . Fellow fans that recognize it when out are welcome to gets photos with it and talk Sam Raimi and Evil Dead .

If anyone reading this wants to see it the car will be with me at the Belcourt Theater’s 10pm to 10am 12 hours of Terror festival this October in Nashville .

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Ee that's awesome! Congrats!

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
No intention to sell less a Ghostbusters ( original

No intention to sell but if by selling or trading it would get me a Ghosters Car ( the Cadillac Meteor not the the one in the yremake ) or Back to Future Delorean it’s would be gone . Hopefully if it occurs I could keep both and be a poor version of Jay Leno .

This is my hobby party car . Took it when I went to Blairstown NJ for Friday the 13th festival last April . I tend to take it to similar trips when I go . October 2019 plan to drive it from Tennessee to Colorado for my stay in the Stephen King room at the Stanley Hotel on Halloween ( you got to book way in advance )
This goes back to late 90s after getting into Evil Dead and talking with fellow horror obsessed friend we spoke of buying the delta if we found a yellow one on a lot real cheap . That never happened and given the money being dumped into it recovering the cost is unlikely . Logic be damned , am having fun building my movie car and getting it just how I want it . Word of warning to others wanting to follow . Every time you get gas or stop it’s 60-80 year old dudes come out of woodwork to talk and tell stories about their cars they had 40-50 years ago . It takes up time talking with them all .
Sadly no hot chicks come running up either . However when at the Friday the 13th festival it was recognized for being the Sam Raimi / Evil Dead Car . The Groovy plate on front confirmed any doubts .

The old men get politely cut short when I just want to get on with my day but a deadite is welcome to talk and look endlessly . No intention to sell photos of people in car or take to events for money it’s just for me . Fellow fans that recognize it when out are welcome to gets photos with it and talk Sam Raimi and Evil Dead .

If anyone reading this wants to see it the car will be with me at the Belcourt Theater’s 10pm to 10am 12 hours of Terror festival this October in Nashville .
October the 31st? .. and good work man!

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Yes that is the plan if I can snipe the room for that day when it comes available , advance bookings for October 2019 will not be till November this year .
Cool .. please take some pics of inside that room and post them in this thread ;)

Top Bottom